270soft Forum

Official Fantasy Political Players League Thread

33 minutes ago, Sanser2016 said:

Lets hope :)

I think your team has the most depth. I created the hypothetical without thinking about who had who on their teams. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

@vcczar Bloomberg is not even a politician anymore what is this BS, I would have sent you my list but I can't message you. You could have at least given me you know a ACTIVE POLITICIAN. Are we allowed to trade? I want to get rid of this lightweight Bloomberg 

Things are much more likely to go your way if you act civil. 

46 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

@vcczar Bloomberg is not even a politician anymore what is this BS, I would have sent you my list but I can't message you. You could have at least given me you know a ACTIVE POLITICIAN. Are we allowed to trade? I want to get rid of this lightweight Bloomberg 

@JohnnyK

Dude, chill out (There's a good reason myself and others block you). If you've been keeping track of the thread, you will have noticed that I had a consistent list of autodraft politicians. And who is to say Bloomberg isn't active politically, even if he doesn't hold office? He's definitely one of the top players for the Independent politician award. Trades and add/drops are allowed starting January 1st when the season begins. However, you'll have to replace Bloomberg with a Democrat or left-leaning independent, since you have 3 Republicans/Conservatives on your team. For the record, I was going to draft Bloomberg with my last pick if the autodraft cue hadn't made him available for you. 

I think it is because your roster was stacked towards conservative/Republican(Tillerson, Johnson, and Blount). Giving you Collins would have given your roster a 4/5 Republican seating, which was against the rules. 

No malicious intent, just you needed a liberal leaning independent/democrat. 

Brown is the State Senate majority leader in North Carolina Assembly. And considering how the assembly is currently trying to weaken the Governorship of the incoming governor elect, I picture him to be the most powerful man in NC( hence me calling it a gamble).

As for Boxer, she is retiring this January, and Kamala Harris is taking her seat. Be a risky draft pick, for someone that'll be out of office in a few days. 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Oh and @vcczar just a question, I noticed Susan Collins was the next auto draft pick before Bloomberg was Proof is below

Yet for some odd reason you auto drafted me Bloomberg and then you yourself drafted Collins. Is there any chance you changed it to Bloomberg so you could draft Collins for yourself? That seems cynical and unfair, I should get S. Collins not Bloomberg

It was changed because you needed a Republican/Conservative. I had the luxury of choosing either because I already had two of both parties. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Did not know this about Boxer, that definitly changes things

Dick Durbin is available. He might be the most powerful Democrat left on the board. However, as the way the game is set up, Bloomberg may net your more points if he can muscle more political influence on 2017 than Bernie Sanders and Angus King. Those are his only competition for that award. That nets 5 points. Meanwhile, Durbin will probably fall in at a point at best, unless he ends up being a top 3 major player in one of the top events in 2017. If you look at how the scoring is done, you might be happier with Bloomberg. If Susan Collins wasn't a Republican, I'd trade you for Bloomberg, who, as I said, was someone I was considering taking. I also expect Bloomberg to be a major independent voice against Trump, just as he was at the Democratic National Convention. 

@JohnnyK

Also, you could consider picking up a freshman senator or US rep to win the rookie award for 5 points. Duckworth and Tillerson are the likey winners for their respective parties. If you think you know of a freshman or new-to-politics politician that can beat Duckworth, you could pick that person up. 

9 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

Did anybody take Kamala Harris?

That would be a good choice, since she's definitely competitive for the Democratic Rookie of the Year Award. 

Here are the team rosters again. Starting tomorrow (Jan 1), you will be allowed to add/drop or trade politicians. You need to make sure that you have no more than 3 Republican/Conservatives or Democrat/Liberals on your team. Therefore, if you have 3 Republicans, you can't trade or add/drop a Democrat and pick up another Republican. 

Reasons for add/drop or trade: Obviously, you want to increase your potential influence. While the big names are not available, you can find competitors for some of the season awards. The Republican Rookie of the Year and the Democratic Rookie of the Year (Freshman politician). Most Influential Independent Politician. Comeback Politician of the Year (Who can return to grandeur after defeat, off-year, scandal, brief retirement, etc.). So you might want to release a round 4 or round 5 and find someone that fits these criteria. 

@SunnymentoaddictTrump, Manchin, Haley, J. Brown, H. Brown

@lok1999: Pence, Sanders, Conway, Comey, Ellison

@CalebsParadox: P. Ryan, Biden, Priebus, Sh. Brown, Gowdy

@TheMiddlePolitical: McConnell, Bannon, Flynn, Cuomo, T. Ryan

@Reagan04: Anthony, Roberts, Price, Heitkamp, Duckworth

@jvikings1: Sessions, Pelosi, Carson, Paul, H. Clinton

@JohnnyK: Tillerson, Schumer, Ron Johnson, Blunt, Bloomberg

@Conservative Elector 2: Mnuchin, Ivanka Trump, Cruz, Yellen, Angus King

@Sanser2016: McCain, Warren, Rubio, Sasse, Booker

@vcczar: Obama, Mattis, Graham, Franken, S. Collins

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Am I allowed to add/drop people

Yes. I think that's clear from a few of my posts. You must maintain a roster of 5, and you can have no more of 3 people of the same party/ideology. 

20 hours ago, vcczar said:

Also, you could consider picking up a freshman senator or US rep to win the rookie award for 5 points. Duckworth and Tillerson are the likey winners for their respective parties. If you think you know of a freshman or new-to-politics politician that can beat Duckworth, you could pick that person up. 

Why I picked Duckworth.

20 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Why I picked Duckworth.

Yeah, that was a good pick. I think because she's a young, female, disabled vet, that Democrats will really push her in the limelight right away. So she's probably the runaway favorite for the Democratic Rookie of the Year Award. 

@Sanser2016 @Sunnymentoaddict @jvikings1 @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @Conservative Elector 2 @lok1999 @JohnnyK @CalebsParadox

Last moment scoring change: I'm going to expand the number of politicians that can score on a major event from 3 to 5. This should keep the league more competitive. 

Here are some 2017 potential major events that may create points in this league. Who do you think might be the major players:

1. Obamacare repeal or defense

2. Policy with Russia, China and Mexico

3. Immigration and the wall

4. National Security and the War on Terror

5. Trump changing the presidency/executive

6. Supreme Court decisions and selections

7. Iran Deal

8. Climate Change

9. Infrastructure

10. Republican reactions to Trump

11. Democratic reactions to Trump + rebuild

12. The Economy, jobs and globalization

13. NATO 

14. Conflict of Interest

15. Campaign/Election/Political Reform

16. Civil Rights/Police

17. Cuba

18. Obama's role in politics post-presidency

Any others? 

Rule change: I think to make this league more exciting, and to make it resemble Fantasy sports, we will score politicians as events occur, when practical. 

I'm now dropping Bloomberg for Cornyn, but will try to pick Bloomberg back up after confirmation battles. 

Below are updated rosters after add/drops

@SunnymentoaddictTrump, Manchin, Haley, J. Brown, H. Brown

@lok1999: Pence, Sanders, Conway, Comey, Ellison

@CalebsParadox: P. Ryan, Biden, Priebus, Sh. Brown, S. Martinez

@TheMiddlePolitical: McConnell, Bannon, Flynn, Cuomo, T. Ryan

@Reagan04: Anthony, Roberts, Price, Heitkamp, Duckworth

@jvikings1: Sessions, Pelosi, Carson, Paul, Durbin

@JohnnyK: Tillerson, Schumer, Ron Johnson, Blunt, K. Harris

@Conservative Elector 2: Mnuchin, Ivanka Trump, Cruz, Yellen, Angus King

@Sanser2016: McCain, Warren, Rubio, Sasse, Booker

@vcczar: Obama, Mattis, Graham, Franken, Cornyn

@Sunnymentoaddict @lok1999 @CalebsParadox @TheMiddlePolitical @Reagan04 @JohnnyK @Conservative Elector 2 @Sanser2016 @vcczar @jvikings1

He everyone. I was thinking that we should move this Political League to email since it is off-topic and I feel like my frequent posts are going to clutter up this part of the forum. 

I have the email addresses of The Middle, Conservative Elector, and JViking. If the rest of you could tell me what your email address is, then I can just group email you all with updates on the league.