270soft Forum

Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare (in two parts)

Take Me to La Riva

One of the most insane U.S. presidential elections (excepting this year's; oooo, what a weirdie, eh?) of all-time has got to be that of 1824.

The quick review: Four candidates (Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, William Crawford and Henry clay) each vied for the presidency, each essentially without party affiliation. Jackson won the popular vote 41.4% and the electoral vote with 99; this was 32 short of a majority, however.

When the vote went to the House of Representatives, popular wisdom had it that Henry Clay, he who'd finished 4th in the electoral vote, would win the Senate because of his connections there. Instead, Clay threw his support to Adams, Q won the presidency, Clay was named Secretary of State, Jackson was enraged.

When reminded in the awesome How to Fight Presidents: Defending Yourself Against the Badasses Who Ran This Country that Jackson listed "I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun," as his lifelong regrets, i concocted a wicked plan to torment (at least in my imagination) the old racist hothead. And President Infinity would be my weapon.

For part one of Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare, i used the 1824 scenario available here:

http://campaigns.270soft.com/category/president-infinity/pi_1824/

Figuring the simulation to stay true to reality and thus give Clay the presidency in an election with no majority winner, i chose to play as Clay The Spoiler.

Unfortunately, i did not make a screenshot of this game, and the last savegame file i have is no longer playable with the most recent updates to 2.4.8.

I can tell you this, though: Things worked out perfectly and it was great. 

As Clay, i was able to hold onto those states he was favored to win (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri) and even won over Illinois. I'd like to think that my helpful spinning of news helped the "Unpledged Electors" steal Massachusetts from Q and lower his electoral vote total, heh heh heh...

Final electorate vote tally: Adams, 102; Jackson, 79; Clay, 41; Crawford 38; Unpledged, 15.

Sure enough, thanks to the House and my guy Clay was elected to be the 6th President of the United States in my happy imagination.

Meanwhile, just as in real life, Andrew Jackson fumed and schemed and plotted. The devious and opportunistic Martin Van Buren and he would cook up the birth of the Democratic Party, just in time for an 1828 run.

But things got far, far worse for Mr. Andrew Jackson in 1828...

Andrew Jackson's Nightmare: Part 2 coming soon!

And now, Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare: Part Two...

So, after tormenting Andrew Jackson by stealing away (at least in his eyes) the election of 1824, President Clay was ready to run for reelection in 1828 and to write the story of Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare: Part II. 

I used this scenario to play as Clay:

http://campaigns.270soft.com/category/president-infinity/1828-president-infinity/

The newly-created Democratic Party would be running in this election and, while i figured Jackson would probably win the primaries anyway, i decided that i was going to give the old boy ever disadvantage -- and every opponent -- possible. Even Martin Van Buren wo, in real life was more than happy to tout the virtues of Jackson, particularly in refernce to the controversial 1824 election, would be a competitor for Jackson. Just to torment him further, you understand.

And hoo boy, did Van Buren not disappoint! Scandal after scandal hit Jackson through the primary season and, on the day the first-ever Denocratic Patry convention was set to kick off, the delegate total looked like this:

Jackson nightmare 2-1.png

That's right, Ol' Hickory was just five electors sort of a victory; his 40% of the popular vote had well topped second-placer Martin Van Buren's 23.8%. Literally, ever other candidate would have to band together to topple Jackson and deny him the party's nomination.

Even with my stated desire to humilate the bitter Jackson in place, i could not have anticipated the deliciousness of what came next.

Sure enough, you can guess what happened, for Jackson had terrible relations with his Democratic Party contenders and this is his nightmare.

Jackson nightmare 2-2.png

Just as naturally, the duplicitous Van Buren chose as his VP William Crawford, he who had placed third and fed Van Buren the electors of the other three candidates.

As Clay, i just couldn't solidify support anywhere; the closest Clay ever got to a lead was while Jackson was still in contention for the nomination. 

Jackson nightmare 2-3.png

A tie in this election (particularly with Jackson again on the short end of the stick) would have made Jackson's head explode thereafter, particularly since Congress would have AGAIN rewarded Clay with the presidency.

Clay and I ultimately lost in his bid for re-election, and Martin Van Buren became the 7th president of the United States rather than the 8th. 

And in my happy happy imagination, Jackson smoldered to boiling, but surely certainly realized that, since he and Clay were now both private citizens, nothing barred Jackson from achieving his lifelong goal.

So Jackson got to work cleaning his pistols...

3 hours ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

And now, Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare: Part Two...

So, after tormenting Andrew Jackson by stealing away (at least in his eyes) the election of 1824, President Clay was ready to run for reelection in 1828 and to write the story of Andrew Jackson's Worst Nightmare: Part II.

I used this scenario to play as Clay:

http://campaigns.270soft.com/category/president-infinity/1828-president-infinity/

The newly-created Democratic Party would be running in this election and, while i figured Jackson would probably win the primaries anyway, i decided that i was going to give the old boy ever disadvantage -- and every opponent -- possible. Even Martin Van Buren wo, in real life was more than happy to tout the virtues of Jackson, particularly in refernce to the controversial 1824 election, would be a competitor for Jackson. Just to torment him further, you understand.

And hoo boy, did Van Buren not disappoint! Scandal after scandal hit Jackson through the primary season and, on the day the first-ever Denocratic Patry convention was set to kick off, the delegate total looked like this:

Jackson nightmare 2-1.png

That's right, Ol' Hickory was just five electors sort of a victory; his 40% of the popular vote had well topped second-placer Martin Van Buren's 23.8%. Literally, ever other candidate would have to band together to topple Jackson and deny him the party's nomination.

Even with my stated desire to humilate the bitter Jackson in place, i could not have anticipated the deliciousness of what came next.

Sure enough, you can guess what happened, for Jackson had terrible relations with his Democratic Party contenders and this is his nightmare.

Jackson nightmare 2-2.png

Just as naturally, the duplicitous Van Buren chose as his VP William Crawford, he who had placed third and fed Van Buren the electors of the other three candidates.

As Clay, i just couldn't solidify support anywhere; the closest Clay ever got to a lead was while Jackson was still in contention for the nomination.

Jackson nightmare 2-3.png

A tie in this election (particularly with Jackson again on the short end of the stick) would have made Jackson's head explode thereafter, particularly since Congress would have AGAIN rewarded Clay with the presidency.

Clay and I ultimately lost in his bid for re-election, and Martin Van Buren became the 7th president of the United States rather than the 8th.

And in my happy happy imagination, Jackson smoldered to boiling, but surely certainly realized that, since he and Clay were now both private citizens, nothing barred Jackson from achieving his lifelong goal.

So Jackson got to work cleaning his pistols...

Being a bit pedantic here, but I noticed you had Democratic "primaries" in 1828. To my knowledge, the then-newly-formed Democratic Party was more-or-less acknowledged in that year as little than a vehicle for Jackson's re-election bid and a "club" and "rallying point" for his supporters, and there was no stated mechanism, protocol, or procedure for ANYONE to challenge him for ANY REASON for the Democratic nomination that year - he was, in fact, nominated without the traditional caucus nomination of the First Party and the whole institution party conventions didn't even come into the parlance until 1832, when the small Third Party, the Anti-Masonic, held the US' first party nominating convention, and the Democratic and National Republican Parties followed (though the two big parties' conventions still Jackson and Clay, respectively, unanimously, without any challengers or real threat of such).

Patine,

O, absolutely, there were no primaries in 1828; Van Buren and Jackson established the party specifically to run against JQ Adams, who "stole" the election from Jackson in '24 with the help of Clay.

Again, i just set out on my wicked plan to torment Andrew Jackson, denying him the presidency by the most torturous way possible. I mean, seriously, Andy would've gone even most extremely postal than usual if he'd had to go through a primary process like today's, only to be denied a majority and thus the nomination again....