270soft Forum

Gender Pay Gap Statisitc May Shock Some

Patine

Here's something to make us all feel proud - and I'm being sarcastic here. The United States, Canada, Australia, the UK, Austria, France, and Brazil (I believe these are the countries where all the main posters on this forum live) have all been outdone statistically in narrowing the gender pay gap by a tiny country in AFRICA. Yes, I kid you not! Rwanda, along with the four usual suspects on gender equality (Iceland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark) have made the top five in the latest list of nations with the most substantial workplace evidence of equal pay for equal work. How does this feel for all of us and our enlightened, advanced, civilized nations?

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Kudelka said:

First of all are you a feminist? And Well I don't know what statistics you are referencing but in the U.S. the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When those factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing. If you are saying that Iceland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark are somehow "more" gender equal I highly disagree with you and will tell you right now that Gender inequality in the U.S. is a myth that has been debunked several times.

First of all, I believe in equality and REAL, IN EFFECT, IN PRACTICE equal opportunities for all, not just on paper, and not the broken, joke-worthy systems (like political correctness and affirmative action) that have discredited and discouraged more serious and possibly workable solutions from receiving credence. Of course, me saying this gets me accusations of supporting "militant liberal demographics rights movements," oh, my! What a horrible thing for people who have been kept down institutionally in society, even if not officially or on paper, but, in many cases (admittedly not all, and a receding, but not receding as fast as you seem to believe) would want to have the full dignity, rights, opportunities, and treatment, de facto, not just a flimsy de jure that rarely truly gets enforced, that middle-class straight White males like us enjoy and have come to take for granted, to the point that some of us have become desensitized, or perhaps willingly allowed to be deceived, that things might be as ideal for others, even in our own countries, as the social ideals we're fed tell us. I work in a social workers' office for a living. What line of work do you have that gives you better or more insightful points of view on this issue than me?

The pay gap is greatly over exaggerated in the US.  The 78cents on the dollar or whatever people say refers to the total amount of money which of course doesn't look at hours worked, experience, education, quality of work, type of work, etc.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Kudelka said:

First of all are you a feminist?

Just reading this, makes me think that you're implying there's something wrong with believing women are equal to men (aka feminism).  Of course I could be wrong, but it seems you're giving feminism a negative connotation.

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

Just reading this, makes me think that you're implying there's something wrong with believing women are equal to men (aka feminism).  Of course I could be wrong, but it seems you're giving feminism a negative connotation.

I very much believe he is. In fact, I believe he'd give any movement or ideology that challenged the absolute sanctity of middle-class straight White male privilege in a negative connotation, frankly. And I'm speaking here as a middle-class straight White male saying this and denouncing his attitude on the issue.

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

The pay gap is greatly over exaggerated in the US.  The 78cents on the dollar or whatever people say refers to the total amount of money which of course doesn't look at hours worked, experience, education, quality of work, type of work, etc.

Can you elaborate on this? 

Archived