270soft Forum

My Ideal Cabinet/Administration and Predictions for the Trump Administration

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Truly awful. America would cease to be anything resembling great after 4 years of that. Immigration would cease, and the best and brightest would emigrate to other countries. Although, as much as I dislike this cabinet, the soundest picks are Graham for State, Webb for Veterans Affairs and Rubio for VP. 

Even though I like and respect Lindsey Graham (especially for be willing to stand up to Trump), I would be infuriated if he were selected to be Secretary of State.  I couldn't stomach someone as hawkish as him as the head of our state department.

7 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Even though I like and respect Lindsey Graham (especially for be willing to stand up to Trump), I would be infuriated if he were selected to be Secretary of State.  I couldn't stomach someone as hawkish as him as the head of our state department.

I feel the same way you do. I dislike hawks, but if they're going to put in a hawk, it might as well be someone that knows what they're doing. 

On November 12, 2016 at 9:20 PM, jnewt said:

A couple of days before the election I was bored and decided to create my ideal Presidential Administration.  I put some thought into each and every position because I thought, maybe Hillary would pick some of the people I listed.  But then Trump went and won the election, so I decided to make my predictions for his cabinet as well.

My Ideal Administration

President:  Bernie Sanders

Vice President:  Sherrod Brown

Secretary of State:  Wesley Clark

Secretary of the Treasury:  Elizabeth Warren

Secretary of Defense:  Jim Webb

Attorney General:  Deval Patrick

Secretary of the Interior:  Mark Udall

Secretary of Agriculture:  Blanche Lincoln

Secretary of Commerce:  Robert Reich

Secretary of Labor:  Dennis Kucinich

Secretary of Health and Human Services:  Howard Koh

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development:  Greg Stanton

Secretary of Transportation:  Bakari Sellers

Secretary of Energy:  Jerry McNerney

Secretary of Education:  Michelle Obama

Secretary of Veterans Affairs:  Lawrence Wilkerson

Secretary of Homeland Security:  Avril Haines

Chief of Staff:  Jeff Weaver

Administrator of the EPA:  Bill McKibben

Trade Representative:  Tony Blinken

Ambassador to the U.N.:  Jon Huntsman

Supreme Court Nominees:  Merrick Garland, Barack Obama

Trump Predictions

Secretary of State:  Newt Gingrich

Treasury Secretary:  Steve Mnuchin

SecDef:  Jeff Sessions

A.G.:  Rudy Giuliani

Interior Secretary:  Sarah Palin

Agriculture Secretary:  Sid Miller

Commerce Secretary:  Lew Eisenberg

Labor Secretary:  Victoria Lipnic

HHS Secretary:  Bobby Jindal

HUD Secretary:  Pam Patenaude

Transportation Secretary:  John Mica

Energy Secretary:  Harold Hamm

Education Secretary:  Ben Carson

Veterans Affairs Secretary:  Jeff Miller

Homeland Security Secretary:  David Clarke

Chief of Staff:  Reince Priebus

Administrator of the EPA:  Myron Ebell

Trade Representative:  Dan DiMicco

Ambassador to the U.N.:  Kelly Ayotte

National Security Advisor:  Michael Flynn

Supreme Court Nominee:  William Pryor

Ideally (perhaps naively and unrealistically ideally) cabinet and high court appointments should really NOT be about nepotism, back-scratching, patronage, political party bonding and reunification, and rewarding ideological purity above the interests of the actual department or position in question, but be a real concerted effort to find among the most qualified of individuals for the job, regardless of whose President, but I get the feeling that sentiment would fly in the halls of power like a lead balloon, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ideally (perhaps naively and unrealistically ideally) cabinet and high court appointments should really NOT be about nepotism, back-scratching, patronage, political party bonding and reunification, and rewarding ideological purity above the interests of the actual department or position in question, but be a real concerted effort to find among the most qualified of individuals for the job, regardless of whose President, but I get the feeling that sentiment would fly in the halls of power like a lead balloon, unfortunately.

I believe everyone I picked for my ideal cabinet are among the most qualified people for their positions, except for perhaps Michelle Obama, who I did pick just because I like her and want her to make her way into politics, and Bakari Sellers, whom I picked for Secretary of Transportation because, well, I have no idea what qualifies someone for this position.

6 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I believe everyone I picked for my ideal cabinet are among the most qualified people for their positions, except for perhaps Michelle Obama, who I did pick just because I like her and want her to make her way into politics, and Bakari Sellers, whom I picked for Secretary of Transportation because, well, I have no idea what qualifies someone for this position.

Sorry if you thought I was specifically targeting your list. I only tagged it because it was the heading post. I was addressing my comments to the thread topic and the general practice as a whole, but my recent posts with no tags at all have tended to get ignored of late.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sorry if you thought I was specifically targeting your list. I only tagged it because it was the heading post. I was addressing my comments to the thread topic and the general practice as a whole, but my recent posts with no tags at all have tended to get ignored of late.

Oh, alright my bad.  But yeah I see what you're saying.  If a President taps a friend as a cabinet member or promises a fellow candidate a cabinet position in exchange for an endorsement or withdrawal, and this is either well-known or just plain obvious, the Senate should do what they can do block the appointment, unless they are truly amongst the most qualified people for their position.  But, especially with the amount of positions they need to appoint people to, I don't imagine any time soon a President will truly appoint the most qualified people, regardless of political affiliation, across the board.