270soft Forum

President Trump's Cabinet

servo75

7 hours ago, jnewt said:

At least it's diverse though.  He has old white men from all different parts of the country.

You know there's more to "diversity" than the liberal narrative of ethnic diversity simply for ethnic diversity's sake.  Why is the racial makeup of Trump's cabinet so important to you?  Whatever happened to the content of someone's character over the color of their skin? 

15 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Why do people on the left resort to name-calling and sweeping generalizations like this?  Do you have any evidence to backup your accusations of "regressives", "profit-over-people" and others?

So, only people the left resort to name-calling and sweeping generalizations? This is shocking news to me!

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, only people the left resort to name-calling and sweeping generalizations? This is shocking news to me!

My point is that I'm sick of the Democrats and Hillary supporters calling people on the right every name in the book, every "-ist" they can think of just because they don't like their views.  They insult our President-elect, insult the people who vote for him, insult those who support him, and then have the audacity to call all of US divisive.  When there's a nominee that the Democrats don't like, the first thing do is call them names like extremist, racist, and all the other "-ist"s and don't even try to back it up.  I can articulate the reasons why I don't like Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

If you don't like Trump or one of his cabinet members, then fine, but spell it out for us, "I really think ___ would not make a good ____ because he's had some _____ views in the past, as evidenced by his 2009 speech, where he said ____." If all Democrats do is blanket name-calling and refusal to back it up, it only exposes their own inability or unwillingness to engage in meaningful adult dialogue.

10 minutes ago, servo75 said:

My point is that I'm sick of the Democrats and Hillary supporters calling people on the right every name in the book, every "-ist" they can think of just because they don't like their views.  They insult our President-elect, insult the people who vote for him, insult those who support him, and then have the audacity to call all of US divisive.  When there's a nominee that the Democrats don't like, the first thing do is call them names like extremist, racist, and all the other "-ist"s and don't even try to back it up.  I can articulate the reasons why I don't like Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

If you don't like Trump or one of his cabinet members, then fine, but spell it out for us, "I really think ___ would not make a good ____ because he's had some _____ views in the past, as evidenced by his 2009 speech, where he said ____." If all Democrats do is blanket name-calling and refusal to back it up, it only exposes their own inability or unwillingness to engage in meaningful adult dialogue.

You know, this sounds very similar to what so many Republicans were doing in 2008, even before Obama was inaugurated and able to pass a single act. My point is, these sins are not exclusive of one side of the political spectrum or another, and what I'm bone sick of is people constantly saying that certain fundamental human character flaws are ONLY traits of political stances they don't like, and, usually by omission, implying those of political stances they do favour are not guilty of such things. That trend is really making me sick. Please. avoid such statements and accusations in the future, for the sake of a mature disciusion at any level and having yourself actually sound intelligent.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

You know, this sounds very similar to what so many Republicans were doing in 2008, even before Obama was inaugurated and able to pass a single act. My point is, these sins are not exclusive of one side of the political spectrum or another, and what I'm bone sick of is people constantly saying that certain fundamental human character flaws are ONLY traits of political stances they don't like, and, usually by omission, implying those of political stances they do favour are not guilty of such things. That trend is really making me sick. Please. avoid such statements and accusations in the future, for the sake of a mature disciusion at any level and having yourself actually sound intelligent.

So basically your response can be summed up as "I know you are but what am I?"  No Conservatives of course have character flaws.  I have pointed out flaws of Trump during this election.  I expressed concern early on about the way he's conducted his campaign.  I was very critical of the language used on the Access Hollywood tape.  I've gotten on the case of Republicans who were too soft on Democrats.  The difference was that if I have a problem with someone on the Right or Left or Middle, I make sure I state why, I don't just call people "racist" when I disagree with them.  I'll say this much - in 2008 we didn't throw hissy fits, resort to personal attacks and name-calling, call for abolishing the electoral college, offer therapy dogs at colleges, and protest in the streets. 

2 minutes ago, servo75 said:

So basically your response can be summed up as "I know you are but what am I?"  No Conservatives of course have character flaws.  I have pointed out flaws of Trump during this election.  I expressed concern early on about the way he's conducted his campaign.  I was very critical of the language used on the Access Hollywood tape.  I've gotten on the case of Republicans who were too soft on Democrats.  The difference was that if I have a problem with someone on the Right or Left or Middle, I make sure I state why, I don't just call people "racist" when I disagree with them.  I'll say this much - in 2008 we didn't throw hissy fits, resort to personal attacks and name-calling, call for abolishing the electoral college, offer therapy dogs at colleges, and protest in the streets.

I think you must have me mistaken for somebody else, by the generic, buzzword, mass-packaged terms you're using for me and a mysterious, nebulous, ill-defined, allegedly-unified, but-in-truth-nonexistent "Left" (there's also no "Right" with that description, either - the binary, black-and-white, siege mentality, almost Manichaenistic viewpoint so many have of politics nowadays is another of my big pet peeves with the political dialogue and culture of today, and I resent it, as a social structure and concept horribly uneducated, manipulative, counter-productive, and yes, stupid), but Sessions and Bannon both have known track records as bigots (though you may reflexively deny it), and two bigots is enough to have a cabinet and presidential staff with bigots in it, by definition, even if no one else who ends up in it is themselves a bigot - two is enough to make the statement true.

Archived