270soft Forum

Endorsers for All-Time Scenario

vcczar

Hey everyone,

As you know, I'm making a scenario that will include every nominee of the major parties (and some 3rd parties) in American History. As such, I need some ideas for historical endorsers. I have a list of quite a few, but I want to see if I'm missing any. Who do you think are influential non-politicians, or activists that have influenced voters? Currently, my list is liberal-heavy. I need more fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, or centrist surrogates, for sure. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Hey everyone,

As you know, I'm making a scenario that will include every nominee of the major parties (and some 3rd parties) in American History. As such, I need some ideas for historical endorsers. I have a list of quite a few, but I want to see if I'm missing any. Who do you think are influential non-politicians, or activists that have influenced voters? Currently, my list is liberal-heavy. I need more fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, or centrist surrogates, for sure.

Tammany Hall for New York, though what issue they'd sit on and exactly what stance might require some ponderance. I just suggest them because they had such influence as a political machine (if one renowned for corruption) in New York for close to a century-and-a-half.

Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnagie, William Randolph Hearst, Fredrick Douglass, perhaps some prominent figures from the various religious movements.

If you can dig up some more people who really dominated a certain industry, you can come up with a large number of fiscal conservatives. 

For social conservatives (and perhaps fiscal conservatives if you wanna spin it), there was plenty of anti slavery activities and politicians and all that would increase the pool.

It would be interesting to see some vice presidents as potential endorsers, with an obvious bias to their own president. If nothing else, Andrew Johnson is a treat potential endorser as a centrist. 

Pat Buchanan, William Kristol, Rush Limbaugh, Richard Viguerie, William F. Buckley, Roger Ailes, Ann Coulter, Andrew Breitbart, Russell Kirk, Robert W. Welch Jr., Irving Kristol, Grover Norquist, and Phyllis Schlafly are some potential conservative endorsers, if you don't already have them

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Pat Buchanan, William Kristol, Rush Limbaugh, Richard Viguerie, William F. Buckley, Roger Ailes, Ann Coulter, Andrew Breitbart, Russell Kirk, Robert W. Welch Jr., Irving Kristol, Grover Norquist, and Phyllis Schlafly are some potential conservative endorsers, if you don't already have them

How about Benjamin Franklin. Though he died about a year after the first Presidential Election, he could be good as a philosophical endorser.

@Patine @jnewt @CalebsParadox

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot of those, but not all of them, so y'all are being really helpful. Thanks. 

I'd also like to add some historical celebrities, notables, newspapers, other kinds of influential people, etc. I think a good way to think about it is:

Who would be influential surrogates/endorsers in (some of these eras overlap, and some of these names are not exact)...

Early Republic (1789-1824): 

Jacksonian era (1824-1850): 

Antebellum (1850-1861):

Civil War (1861-1865):

Reconstruction (1865-1876):

Gilded Age (1876-1896):

Imperialism Age (1896-1904):

Progressive Age (1904-1920):

High Tide of Conservatism (1920-1932):

Great Depression era (1932-1939):

WWII era (1939-1945):

Red Scare Cold War era (1945-1964):

1960's Cultural Revolution (1964-1972):

Inflation and Urban Decay (1972-1980):

Age of Reagan (1980-2001):

War on Terror (2001-2015):

High Tide of Populism (2015-present) (*my coinage/opinion)

@jvikings1 @Reagan04 @SeanFKennedy might also be helpful in thinking of endorsers. 

48 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine @jnewt @CalebsParadox

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot of those, but not all of them, so y'all are being really helpful. Thanks.

I'd also like to add some historical celebrities, notables, newspapers, other kinds of influential people, etc. I think a good way to think about it is:

Who would be influential surrogates/endorsers in (some of these eras overlap, and some of these names are not exact)...

Early Republic (1789-1824):

Jacksonian era (1824-1850):

Antebellum (1850-1861):

Civil War (1861-1865):

Reconstruction (1865-1876):

Gilded Age (1876-1896):

Imperialism Age (1896-1904):

Progressive Age (1904-1920):

High Tide of Conservatism (1920-1932):

Great Depression era (1932-1939):

WWII era (1939-1945):

Red Scare Cold War era (1945-1964):

1960's Cultural Revolution (1964-1972):

Inflation and Urban Decay (1972-1980):

Age of Reagan (1980-2001):

War on Terror (2001-2015):

High Tide of Populism (2015-present) (*my coinage/opinion)

@jvikings1 @Reagan04 @SeanFKennedy might also be helpful in thinking of endorsers.

There was a short-lived newspaper in the 1840's to 1860's dedicated almost exclusively in it's editorial to a purely abolitionist narrative called "The Barnburner." I remember including it in my old 1848 scenario way back for the P4E2008 game.

1789-1824:  Francis Scott Key, Gazette of the United States, National Gazette, Noah Webster, Thomas Paine, Paul Revere

1824-1850:  Joseph Smith Jr., Ralph Waldo Emerson, Edgar Allen Poe, Theodore Dwight Weld, William Lloyd Garrison, The Liberator (newspaper)

1850-1876:  Jay Gould, Susan B. Anthony, John Brown, John Humphrey Noyes, Henry David Thoreau, Dorothea Dix, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Sojourner Truth, The Sun (New York newspaper), John Wilkes Booth (I think he'd be an especially great endorser since he was one of the great actors of his time), Brigham Young

1876-1900:  Emma Goldman, Henry Clay Frick, Joseph Pulitzer, Mark Twain

1900-1925:  Upton Sinclair, Ida Tarbell, Lincoln Steffens, Jack Johnson

1926-1950:  John L. Lewis, Al Capone

1950-1975:  Betty Friedan, Marlon Brando, Martin Luther King Jr., Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Frank Sinatra

1975-Present:  Mark Zuckerberg, Kanye West, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Howard Schultz, Oprah Winfrey, Rupert Murdoch, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, George Soros