Jump to content
270soft Forum

Texas Secession Scenario


jnewt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I started making a scenario in which Texas successfully secedes from the United States after a few months of the progressive and liberal administration of Hillary Clinton (I'll go more into detail of why and how Texas secedes when I post the scenario).  I came up with a long list of candidates that may be included, and I'm posting this here in hopes of some suggestions of who should and should not be candidates in the game (as well as endorsers).  I'm thinking of splitting republicans into two parties:  the Republicans and the Tea Party.

Tea Party Candidates (Ted Cruz is the only one that will definitely be in the scenario)- Ted Cruz, Pete Sessions, Ted Poe, Lamar Smith, Dan Patrick, Randy Neugabauer, Kenny Marchant, Louie Gohmert, Blake Farenthold, David Dewhurst, John Culberson, John Carter, Michael Burgess, and Joe Barton

Republican Candidates- Rick Perry, George W. Bush, Greg Abbott, and John Cornyn

Libertarians- Ron Paul (I'll probably have him off by default because of his age) and Michael Badnarik

Democrats- Henry Cuellar, Filemon Vela Jr., and Chet Edwards

I'm also debating not even including democrats because they would not support secession, however the three candidates I listed are all members of the Blue Dog Coalition (conservative Democrats).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

Yesterday I started making a scenario in which Texas successfully secedes from the United States after a few months of the progressive and liberal administration of Hillary Clinton (I'll go more into detail of why and how Texas secedes when I post the scenario).  I came up with a long list of candidates that may be included, and I'm posting this here in hopes of some suggestions of who should and should not be candidates in the game (as well as endorsers).  I'm thinking of splitting republicans into two parties:  the Republicans and the Tea Party.

Tea Party Candidates (Ted Cruz is the only one that will definitely be in the scenario)- Ted Cruz, Pete Sessions, Ted Poe, Lamar Smith, Dan Patrick, Randy Neugabauer, Kenny Marchant, Louie Gohmert, Blake Farenthold, David Dewhurst, John Culberson, John Carter, Michael Burgess, and Joe Barton

Republican Candidates- Rick Perry, George W. Bush, Greg Abbott, and John Cornyn

Libertarians- Ron Paul (I'll probably have him off by default because of his age) and Michael Badnarik

Democrats- Henry Cuellar, Filemon Vela Jr., and Chet Edwards

I'm also debating not even including democrats because they would not support secession, however the three candidates I listed are all members of the Blue Dog Coalition (conservative Democrats).

I'm surprised they'd keep the same parties (or at the least the names and general parameters). In my quite broad knowledge of history, when a region in a nation with some form of partisan representative electoral system successfully separates and it's system is also some form of partisan representative electoral system, they almost always shake the partisan in the new nation. I can't think of any major exceptions. Also, even if they disagreed with secession, once it becomes a fait accompli, why would the more liberal politicians in Texas absolutely abdicate their duty to at least run on behalf of the demographics who would still support and hand this new nation, uncontested and on a silver platter, to a government where EVERY SINGLE elected office would, by default, end up in a right-wing candidate's hands, even if they were divided between several parties?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@jnewt

You'd also have to consider that most Republicans wouldn't support secession either. It's generally just the very far-right people, and most of them wouldn't go through with it.

It would likely end up, if a referendum were called, like the 1995 one in Quebec or the 2014 one in Scotland - a big lead-up, a lot of money spent by both sides, numerous celebrities, talking heads, economists, big business owners, and politicians weighing in, communities in Texas sharply divided, polls going back and forth, and then, on election night, a defeat for the secessionists, and economic, social, and political fallout...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm surprised they'd keep the same parties (or at the least the names and general parameters). In my quite broad knowledge of history, when a region in a nation with some form of partisan representative electoral system successfully separates and it's system is also some form of partisan representative electoral system, they almost always shake the partisan in the new nation. I can't think of any major exceptions. Also, even if they disagreed with secession, once it becomes a fait accompli, why would the more liberal politicians in Texas absolutely abdicate their duty to at least run on behalf of the demographics who would still support and hand this new nation, uncontested and on a silver platter, to a government where EVERY SINGLE elected office would, by default, end up in a right-wing candidate's hands, even if they were divided between several parties?

I wanted to make one of the new parties the Tea Party because I feel like if this were to ever actually happen, they would probably be the ones leading it. My idea was that it would start out as a far-right nation, but eventually the new Republican party would start drifting towards the contemporary Democratic party.  You bring up a good point about liberal politicians just allowing the country to become right-wing, so I will add more liberal politicians. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine

I live in Texas, and have most of my life. I have never personally met anyone in favor of secession, or even talking about it. I think it would be voted down by like  88% against 12% for

A very funny thing is, I live in Alberta, which most other Canadian attribute the same unrealistically high amount of secessionist sympathies as it seems many non-Texan American attribute to Texas. The only person I've ever met whose seriously advocated for Albertan independence is my Uncle Jack (and, I saw an older man the bus wearing a "Republic of Alberta," but didn't speak to him, and our Separatist Party of Alberta, the only party dedicated specifically to that idea, won a single rural, backwater constituency in one legislative election in the 1970's, and has never com close to cracking 1% of the popular vote in any Alberta legislative election.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@jnewt

You'd also have to consider that most Republicans wouldn't support secession either. It's generally just the very far-right people, and most of them wouldn't go through with it. 

Yea I know this would never happen, but I just thought it'd be cool to make a scenario for.  This fictional scenario is going to be a result of drastic legislation passed by President Clinton and the newly Democratic-controlled congress, such as an amendment abolishing the death penalty, legislation completely banning any guns larger than a pistol and the carrying of any guns in public places, and requiring every single police officer in the country to wear a body camera.  All of this and the promise of more to come is what I'm making the cause of the secession.

 

I know this still wouldn't cause Texas to secede, and that it probably wouldn't make a ton of sense for them either, I just wanted to make a scenario of Texas as its own republic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

Yea I know this would never happen, but I just thought it'd be cool to make a scenario for.  This fictional scenario is going to be a result of drastic legislation passed by President Clinton and the newly Democratic-controlled congress, such as an amendment abolishing the death penalty, legislation completely banning any guns larger than a pistol and the carrying of any guns in public places, and requiring every single police officer in the country to wear a body camera.  All of this and the promise of more to come is what I'm making the cause of the secession.

 

I know this still wouldn't cause Texas to secede, and that it probably wouldn't make a ton of sense for them either, I just wanted to make a scenario of Texas as its own republic.

You know, that list of legislations isn't exactly considered Orwellian in most of the First Word today...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

You know, that list of legislations isn't exactly considered Orwellian in most of the First Word today...

Yes, I know, but I wanted legislation that is at least within some sort of realm of possibility that would still be drastic enough to infuriate the right-wing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...