270soft Forum

Pennsylvania and New Hampshire 2016 Senate

So, I'm very interested in starting up a project to create some of the swing Senate elections for 2016, particularly New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. I have seen/played the Nevada and Arizona scenarios and really enjoyed them, however, I've only ever made scenarios with the general election map, and they were for my eyes only. I'd really appreciate feedback/pointers as I get this started!

13 minutes ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

So, I'm very interested in starting up a project to create some of the swing Senate elections for 2016, particularly New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. I have seen/played the Nevada and Arizona scenarios and really enjoyed them, however, I've only ever made scenarios with the general election map, and they were for my eyes only. I'd really appreciate feedback/pointers as I get this started!

I made a 2016 PA Senate election but its needs updating and events and such I can give it too you to continue

New Hampshire might be very interesting though. Ayotte vs Hassan is a great race, as both have a great name recognition within their state. Many top Republicans, like W. Bush, Bolton and Romney have also endorsed Ayotte publicly which shows the importance of this race. I keep my fingers crossed that Ayotte will be successful in the end, but nobody knows what's happening in the last weeks of campaigning. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 1:50 PM, Reagan04 said:

I really like Senate Races, I am currently working on an MD one.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 1:54 PM, victor1313 said:

good i like senate scenarios too

2 hours ago, PoliticalGeek said:

Could I have it? I am intrigued by Rustbelt elections.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 8:56 AM, Conservative Elector 2 said:

New Hampshire might be very interesting though. Ayotte vs Hassan is a great race, as both have a great name recognition within their state. Many top Republicans, like W. Bush, Bolton and Romney have also endorsed Ayotte publicly which shows the importance of this race. I keep my fingers crossed that Ayotte will be successful in the end, but nobody knows what's happening in the last weeks of campaigning. 

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 10:30 PM, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I made a 2016 PA Senate election but its needs updating and events and such I can give it too you to continue

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 10:16 PM, michaelsdiamonds said:

Although I have created a few state-level federal US Senate race scenarios in my day (though all were for P4E2008), if I were to deal with US Senate elections (and I very well may - there's a few elections I may want to touch upon), I'd prefer nowadays to do a whole nationwide Senate election for that year with CI, but that would be my personal preference. Two really big issues for the state-level scenarios (other than the PR instead of EC issue, which also plagues Gubernatorial, Mayoral, and foreign Presidential scenarios as well) is that US Senators don't have running mates or any direct analog, and the ballot system and the way the game calculates "Congressional Control" from political units (in this case, usually counties (with independent cities as well in Virginia and, less dominantly and numerously, a few other states), parishes (in Louisiana), or organized boroughs/unorganized census areas (in Alaska)) works completely differently on a state level (another problem for gubernatorial scenarios as well) as it does Federally.

Another issue is that Washington (though not normally a swing state in recent elections, and more recently, California (hasn't been "in play," on a Federal map since the '80's) have nonetheless adopted their wonky system around party-based selection for statewide offices (having done four Washington scenarios myself, two Gubernatorial and two Senatorial, in the past, though back by P4E2008), where there are NO party primaries, conventions, or nominations formally. Instead, every candidate for Governor or Senator in those two states registers and states their party (even being able to state a party name of a party not registered or organized in that state, or one that doesn't even exist on any party registry anywhere in the United States, as in the "Centrist Party," declared solely as a unique label and electoral vehicle by a doctor and minor candidate for Governor of Washington in 2008 and Senator from Washington in 2010 from Grant County, Washington, which otherwise has no formal or paper registry existence as the party anywhere in the United States), or they can declare themselves "Independent" or "Non-Partisan." Then there is the "primary" (different usage of the term here), which is a statewide preliminary election that narrows down the candidates (all of them at once) to the top two vote-getters, who then proceed to the General Election. The parties of the top two have no guarantee, legally, of being a Democratic and a Republican, or even NOT being of the same party label, although, since the 1950's (when I THINK that system was started in Washington) and in the 2010 California Gubernatorial (the first to follow that system there - I haven't yet checked subsequent California Gubernatorial and Senatorial elections) have all happened to end up with a Democrat and a Republican, but there's no legal guarantee of such a match-up.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, Patine said:

Another issue is that Washington (though not normally a swing state in recent elections, and more recently, California (hasn't been "in play," on a Federal map since the '80's) have nonetheless adopted their wonky system around party-based selection for statewide offices (having done four Washington scenarios myself, two Gubernatorial and two Senatorial, in the past, though back by P4E2008), where there are NO party primaries, conventions, or nominations formally. Instead, every candidate for Governor or Senator in those two states registers and states their party (even being able to state a party name of a party not registered or organized in that state, or one that doesn't even exist on any party registry anywhere in the United States, as in the "Centrist Party," declared solely as a unique label and electoral vehicle by a doctor and minor candidate for Governor of Washington in 2008 and Senator from Washington in 2010 from Grant County, Washington, which otherwise has no formal or paper registry existence as the party anywhere in the United States), or they can declare themselves "Independent" or "Non-Partisan." Then there is the "primary" (different usage of the term here), which is a statewide preliminary election that narrows down the candidates (all of them at once) to the top two vote-getters, who then proceed to the General Election. The parties of the top two have no guarantee, legally, of being a Democratic and a Republican, or even NOT being of the same party label, although, since the 1950's (when I THINK that system was started in Washington) and in the 2010 California Gubernatorial (the first to follow that system there - I haven't yet checked subsequent California Gubernatorial and Senatorial elections) have all happened to end up with a Democrat and a Republican, but there's no legal guarantee of such a match-up.

I would prefer the system know as a "jungle primary" be implemented everywhere because it is more representative of the people.  The Senate election in California this past cycle ended up being between 2 Democrats.  And, a House election in Louisiana ended up being between 2 Republicans.

• 3 weeks later...