Jump to content
270soft Forum

My Political Views Changed


Recommended Posts

I took the www.isidewith.com quiz again... Apparently, I went from being 99% Conservative and 54% Libertarian to 87% Libertarian and 85% Republican.

Last month, @vcczar, you said my views would change someday, and I laughed it off... But you were right ;-;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people's political views change between the ages of 18 and 25, with the views not being really set until about 30. This is what I've noticed from people. 

Upbringing, self-education, and work & life experience, and having kids and elderly parents will be major factors in shaping ideology. 

I keep getting more progressive, but less idealistic in my progressivism, which means I'm a compromise progressive. I'll take a quarter of what I really want as long as it's moving my direction and not going back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I took the www.isidewith.com quiz again... Apparently, I went from being 99% Conservative and 54% Libertarian to 87% Libertarian and 85% Republican.

Last month, @vcczar, you said my views would change someday, and I laughed it off... But you were right ;-;

i am in start with politicans in 2015 i and happy because in school people dont interest in political here my professors are supporters of workers party(most corruption) and are fans of communist,socialist politicals in general are very very parcials... are center-right to center and now are my political views are same of reagan in almost all political test

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gotten more right wing economically as time has gone by from socialism as a teenager to something inbetween socialism and social democracy today but my social policy views don't change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

I've gotten more right wing economically as time has gone by from socialism as a teenager to something inbetween socialism and social democracy today but my social policy views don't change.

 

I used to be a borderline Socialist, and was also a Liberal, Atheist, and all the other bad things two years ago, but then one day, I suddenly became a Conservative Capitalist Christian. A few months ago I started to drift towards the Libertarian Party.

I used to never compromise, but now I'm willing to compromise on about everything not economic (fixing the debt is my #1 priority). I don't agree with gay marriage, but if the states or churches want to do it, let them. None of my business.

You know what? If I ever ran for President, on my first Press Conference, I would answer most questions with: "Now that's none of my God damn business, is it?" and start every debate with: "now you listen here, you randy bastard."

I would be the most offensive President ever ;-;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, I was, in my late-teens and very early adulthood, quite taken with a far-right wing that, at the time, mostly only operated in Western Canada (where I lived and still live) which had strong influence from the US Republican Party and was a regional "champion" party (or so it claimed) for the Western part of the country, called the Reform Party of Canada. It won no seats at all in it's first federal election in 1988, it's leader, Preston Manning, won a by-election for it's first seat in Canadian House of Commons in 1989, and then, in the 1993 federal election, when the previously monumental centre-right Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, which went in with a HUGE majority of over 200 seats and ended up with just 2 after election night. The Reform Party came out with 52, all in the Western provinces, in that election. During the late '90's and into the 21st Century, my views have significantly changed since then, to the point that, even though the old Reform Party I had once championed merged with the remnants of the Progressive Conservatives and effectively become the dominant part of, a new party called the Conservative Party of Canada, which governed Canada for 11 years under Prime Minister Stephen Harper, from 2004 to 2015, I couldn't stand them by that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ThePotatoWalrus

"Liberal, Atheist, and all the other bad things"

It may surprise you to know that, despite being very common to just casually mention disparate things in the same breath as though they were far more similar than they actually are (a thoughtless tactic of rhetoric I detest), Liberalism and Atheism, as ideological movements, are not joined at the hip, not mutually inclusive, and not intrinsically so similar in point of view as to always be brought up together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

@ThePotatoWalrus

"Liberal, Atheist, and all the other bad things"

It may surprise you to know that, despite being very common to just casually mention disparate things in the same breath as though they were far more similar than they actually are (a thoughtless tactic of rhetoric I detest), Liberalism and Atheism, as ideological movements, are not joined at the hip, not mutually inclusive, and not intrinsically so similar in point of view as to always be brought up together.

I can attest to this. Religion and liberalism can go hand in hand :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I can attest to this. Religion and liberalism can go hand in hand :) 

I know, I know. There were many factors that pushed me to Christianity. I became a Conservative before I became Christian, and the final thing that pushed me to Christianity was that I realized conservatism and the greatness of western culture stems from the teachings of Christianity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I know, I know. There were many factors that pushed me to Christianity. I became a Conservative before I became Christian, and the final thing that pushed me to Christianity was that I realized conservatism and the greatness of western culture stems from the teachings of Christianity.

And, I'm afraid to say, many of the worst aspects of Western Culture are also tied into Christianity as their origin point - or were reactions to those negative aspects Christianity long held on Western Culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

And, I'm afraid to say, many of the worst aspects of Western Culture are also tied into Christianity as their origin point - or were reactions to those negative aspects Christianity long held on Western Culture.

Christianity or christianity that was twisted by men into saying what they want it to say?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Christianity or christianity that was twisted by men into saying what they want it to say?

The latter, of course. But, the problem is, many, many people today, both those who consider themselves Christian and those who don't, don't fully understand or appreciate the difference. That's where the REAL trouble lies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patine said:

@ThePotatoWalrus

"Liberal, Atheist, and all the other bad things"

It may surprise you to know that, despite being very common to just casually mention disparate things in the same breath as though they were far more similar than they actually are (a thoughtless tactic of rhetoric I detest), Liberalism and Atheism, as ideological movements, are not joined at the hip, not mutually inclusive, and not intrinsically so similar in point of view as to always be brought up together.

True. The vast majority of atheists seem to be left and/or liberal but atheism doesn't have any political statements so it seems pretty arbitrary for people to think that atheism and liberalism go hand in hand. Likewise Christianity and conservatism. Sure there's some social issues that being a devout Christian would make one conservative about but being conservative on a number of stuff won't make me conservative on everything.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

The latter, of course. But, the problem is, many, many people today, both those who consider themselves Christian and those who don't, don't fully understand or appreciate the difference. That's where the REAL trouble lies.

Very true. Anything that gets twisted or misunderstood can be very dangerous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone from being a Communist / Democratic Socialist to a fan of Reagan to a progressive liberal in my very young life. :lol: I'm the first to admit my views are still forming and changing all the time, and I'm always willing to at least consider and hear out an opposing opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest thing I've changed on recently is The U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, I've come to see it for its evil.
But I'm 99% GOP 93% Constitution 36% Libertarian 4% Democrat 1% Green and 0% Socialist.

I'm also:

Trump 80%

Mcmullin 77%

Johnson 28%

Clinton 6%

Stein 0%

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

The biggest thing I've changed on recently is The U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, I've come to see it for its evil.
But I'm 99% GOP 93% Constitution 36% Libertarian 4% Democrat 1% Green and 0% Socialist.

I'm also:

Trump 80%

Mcmullin 77%

Johnson 28%

Clinton 6%

Stein 0%

I'm sorry, but McMullin is CANCER for the Presidency. I would rather have Trump, Johnson, Stein, Castle, or Clinton more than him. He is at the bottom of my list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'm sorry, but McMullin is CANCER for the Presidency. I would rather have Trump, Johnson, Stein, Castle, or Clinton more than him. He is at the bottom of my list.

I'm not in favor of him, he's a derp, I just am aligned with him ideologically.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...