270soft Forum

I recently got an idea for a scenario into my head, and I have since done all of the editing of files necessary. However, I've never once gotten to play the game. Here's why:

At first, the instant I clicked "OK" on my scenario choosing screen, it said something about how not all the candidates were there. However, I then created all of the candidates, and I can now get all the way through candidate selection!

Then, when I got past candidate selection, it said, "California's party electorate trends !=100" and would then, when I clicked OK, scroll through all of the states I was using. After all of them, it would says something like "List index out of bounds", and the game screen would appear, only all white.

But then, I re-copied the electorate trends from 2004, and that problem went away. However, since I'll want to be fixing my electorate trends eventually, I'd appreciate some help with that, too.

Then, it did this thing where it would just go to a completely white game screen, and two little error messages would appear alternately, "List index out of bounds" and "Error in adBox::getNumAdMaking"

Now, it says something like, "Access violation at address 0040DE91 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000054." Then, it goes (or went) to the white screen, and then brought up this weird thing that looked like 2000 gone wrong.

Then, just as an experiment, I started up 2004, and it worked fine. Now, after "Access violation at address 0040DE91 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000054.", it went to the screen I got when I started 2004, displayed another similar error message, and the map changed to my map, but with none of the states responding. If I click on a state, it says ""Access violation at address 004E83BB in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 0000000." and if I click on a part of the map that isn't a state, it says "List Index out of bounds (-1)." If I click on something not on the map, it works fine. I've eMailed the company, but I thought I'd post here just in case anyone had any good advice!

Please reply! Thanks!

undecideds, the second, fourth, sixth, and eigth lines can be 0-100, but those are actually the solid voters for the candidate, the remaining number is the undecided

ie

50 Bush

70 will vote for Bush (30 don't know)

45 Kerry

60 will vote for Kerry (40 don't know)

5 Nader

50 will vote for Nader etc

50+45+5= 100

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that the party names are the same all over, and that the regions are always the same. It's weird. The problem is that after I select the candidates, it doesn't work. By that, I mean that it sends up an error message, the nature of which I have detailed above, and goes to a weird 2000-esque scene, but with my map. It thinks I'm Bush (who isn't even in my scenario) and everything's all scrambled, and it keeps displaying error messages. So annoying.

Hmm.

Checking for consistency of everything is important, of parties in all files, etc.

Also, if you have a non-standard number of regions, that could cause errors similar to that. Candidates need to have regions that are actually present, as do VP candidates.

Oh by the way... If anyone wants to know what the topic I'm making is, here's the general idea.

The scenario name is Liberal States of America - 2008, and there will be another one, which will be called Conservative States of America - 2008. The concept is that during Bush's assumedly disasterous second term, the populace became so divided that the country just split. The West Coast, Midwest, and Northeast went to the Liberal half, and all the rest went to the Conservative half.

Also, I tried to make it again from scratch. I recopied 2004, edited the files again, except I copied electorate trends, parties, candidates, running mates, and party images from the old one. Same exact problem, and now I'm entirely baffled. Can other people play their own scenarios before they get posted on the site officially? If so, why can't I? It's weird!

Alright... I think I've identified the problem. I went through and changed the files one by one, and this allowed me to discover which file was causing the problem. And it is...

Electorate Trends!

Electorate trends is seriously bugging me. When I changed just region variables, the game was working, with no error messages or anything. However, some things were weird about how the game was playing. Then, I changed electorate trends. This made it do the same error thing it was doing before. Then, in further messings around with it, I've only been able to make it play when region variables, electorate trends, and the region folder were all the same as in the basic 2004 scenario. However, when I do that, many of my candidates start in states that aren't in the map and which I can't click on. Also, the other states appear to be there, just you can't see them.

I tried something that was suggested to me by my dad this morning. I took the electorate trends from Union - 1864, and I used those. I figured, "Since this is another scenario that doesn't have a number of regions anywhere close to 51, it might show me how to do this." However, that didn't work. When I try to start up my scenario, the game first flashes up the error message, "Access violation at address 0040DE91 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000054.". After that, it goes to what appears to be the game screen, but with several problems. Firstly, the map, which is the correct map, is not colored according to the voting bias of the states. Secondly, the game is flashing up the following error messages in alteration: "Error in adBox::getAdNumMaking" and "List index out of bounds (-1)". The part of the screen that isn't the map is seriously messed up. Instead of thinking that I'm John Kerry in the year 2008, it appears to think that I'm George W Bush in the year 2000. Above the little CP and energy box, where it provides the name, it says, "George7890 Bush567890". There is no picture. It thinks I'm using 4 CP, and that I have $72,000,000. Underneath the funds it says "(+250,000)", and in the bar that shows how much energy you have, the bar goes to 90, but it's red and says "EP: 4/turn" on it. For Bush's action bar, it spells his last name, "Bush456789", and says he's doing Oprah on Bush/Integrity, which has an 80% chance of making the news, a power of 45, costing 5 energy and 5 CP. Bush is going to be in South Carolina next turn. For Cheney, it says, "Stumping/Spin/Work with P/Fundraising" for his activity, says he's in New York, and that said Stumping/Spin/Work with P/Fundraising has a power of 15 and is on Integrity/Bush. It thinks that I'm making foot soldiers, crusaders, ads, and research, but only the crusader has a little bar underneath it. In the upper-right hand corner, it says "Wednesday, February 30th, 2004 - 100 days left" and "7 weeks, 5 days left" below that. The country is called "National/State", and is Bush edge, with 538 electoral votes. There is no flag. The popular vote tracker reads "Bush: 37 +3 (32%)", "Gore: 35 -3 15 /20", "Nader: 3 +- 1 /2", "Bchhanann: 1 +- 1 /0", and "Undecided: 14 +1 10 /4". The electoral vote counter is all the same color, and reads "265265 +3", "193265 -3", "0 265 +-", "0 265 +-", and "80 +-". To the right of that, the table reads, "MMT 1 1 1", "MMT 5(25) $500K CR x 1", "MMT FS x 3 $500K CR x 1", and "MMT FS x 3 $500K CR x 1". The economic indicators are "Good (-2)". I can't figure out what's going on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed where it says "Bush, Gore, Nader, Buchanan" in the electorate trends files, and it didn't work. I just can't think of what's going on. Other people can play scenarios that they've invented before they get posted on the internet, right? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did they solve it?

Now, what would that mean? What part of the map and electorate trends would they need to map with? Should I go back and recreate them with Candidate Editor? In electorate trends, after the thing about party names and "In 2000, these 4 were:", what should it say? What they are in your scenario? Should the 2000 be changed? Ought where it says "Bush, Gore, Nader, Buchanan, Undecided" be changed to reflect the default candidates for your party?

Now, what would that mean? What part of the map and electorate trends would they need to map with? Should I go back and recreate them with Candidate Editor? In electorate trends, after the thing about party names and "In 2000, these 4 were:", what should it say? What they are in your scenario? Should the 2000 be changed? Ought where it says "Bush, Gore, Nader, Buchanan, Undecided" be changed to reflect the default candidates for your party?

That has to do with the program itself. If candidates or running mates have home states that are no listed in the program it will cause an error.