270soft Forum

Here is the result of my first attempt to win 538 electoral votes on Hard.  Rules that I set were to use the unmodified game with no changes.  No changes to who is running, set on hard.  I Selected Huckabee as my candidate and the earliest starting primary date offered as the start date.  I won Iowa and NH, but lost SC, NV, and all by a couple of the Super Tuesday states.  I then won all the states after except for a surprise loss in Indiana by less than 1 percent.  The advantage of being a republican candidate is the winner-take-all for the later primaries ended my race earlier giving me an advantage over Clinton.  While Clinton won the democratic nomination easily, it took her a few weeks longer to get the needed delegates. 

I selected Trump as my VP choice.  Somewhat of a surprise, but I liked his stamina and since I had won the GOP nomination early enough I had the time to improve Trump's very low issue knowledge and debate skill.  They were at 5 within a couple months.  His high stamina let him be a little more useful in his main job of going around the country insulting Clinton.  

Starting the election, DC was where I was furthest behind and so I filled that up with organization and foot soldiers and ads, along with a couple visits. VT and Massachusetts were also tough, but eventually I had a lead in all states.  Here were those where it took the longest:

On June 22nd, It was essentially a tie in WA and CT.  I was barely ahead in NC and MA.  I was barely behind in IL and NJ.  I was behind in MA, VT, and DC. 

By July 22nd, I was ahead in every state, but it was close in MN, VT, and MA.

It was August 24th when I was finally ahead in every state.  I never looked back.  I started to focus on increasing my margin for victory and got 90.5 percent of the vote.  

I am considering trying for getting every vote, or to try to find a weaker candidate.  I played this on 7 turn mode, as day-by-day get get boring, plus 7 day is a little harder since it makes it more difficult to take advantage of the web ads.  On day-by-day mode, web ads can really make a difference, but on 7 day mode they only work on day 1, and not for the other 6 days, minimizing their advantage. 

060.png

Although impressive game-playing, I'd say that result is probably next to impossible in RL. I think Huckabee's much too extreme in his viewpoints to be the "unifier of the electorate" that would be needed to pull off such a result, realistically.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:47 PM, Patine said:

Although impressive game-playing, I'd say that result is probably next to impossible in RL. I think Huckabee's much too extreme in his viewpoints to be the "unifier of the electorate" that would be needed to pull off such a result, realistically.

I think this would be impossible for any candidate.

Yeah, your play through made me realize how much realism still needs to be injected into the game. I think a certain set amount of voters should never vote for the other party. I also think it should be impossible for someone like Trump to get a debate or issue knowledge of 5. In fact, I think only people with a natural 5 should be able to improve their number to 5, should it fall. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, your play through made me realize how much realism still needs to be injected into the game. I think a certain set amount of voters should never vote for the other party. I also think it should be impossible for someone like Trump to get a debate or issue knowledge of 5. In fact, I think only people with a natural 5 should be able to improve their number to 5, should it fall. 

I think Trump deserves a debate of 5 ;)

I agree with vcczar. In US Presidential History, only Washington carried every EV in the two elections he ran in, and he had no serious opponent who wasn't expected to just be a contender for VP instead. Even in 1820, a faithless elector voting for John Quincy Adams denied Monroe that honour. Certainly once you hit the Second Party System and beyond, the political divisions and landscape make this result as probable as a snowstorm in Singapore.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2016 at 7:47 PM, Patine said:

I must say by terms of the GOP Huckabee is a fiscal liberal and not as extreme as other candidates. I originally supported him for his social and religious values and views but was horrified with what he did to the budget of Arkansas and jumped ship to Fiorina then Carson then by New Years I had permanently settled on Cruz.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2016 at 10:47 PM, Reagan04 said:

I must say by terms of the GOP Huckabee is a fiscal liberal and not as extreme as other candidates. I originally supported him for his social and religious values and views but was horrified with what he did to the budget of Arkansas and jumped ship to Fiorina then Carson then by New Years I had permanently settled on Cruz.

We're pretty much eye to eye here. Except I supported Rubio, and Trump after Rubio dropped out.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

We're pretty much eye to eye here. Except I supported Rubio, and Drumpf after Rubio dropped out.

Well, I'm a NeverTrumper and support Darrell Castle of the Constitution party or maybe Ted Cruz write-in, although with what just happened at the convention a couple hours ago it might not have to be a write-in.B)

By the way, are you going to make part 2 of your PI playthrough, I was really enjoying it and would encourage you to make anoy=ther, even if you lose, I've never seen a Vice-President playthrough!;)

Not sure. I pretty much gave up YouTube a few months ago. Doubt I'll make another video. It was fun though, but my mic port on my computer is broken, so I can't really play PC games without terrible audio. Appreciated you watching it.

I only support Trump, because like Rubio, I made a pledge to support the Republican nominee. Unfortunately, it was Trump. Our party is divided bruh.

I may do a play-by-play with Rubio, and then do a summary later.

I would rather have Cruz as President IRL than Trump, Cruz has sound economic policies, not sure if he's going to privatize NASA, or scrap the EPA, and Department of Commerce (what Rick Perry, my second choice, wanted to do)

39 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I would rather have Cruz as President IRL than Drumpf, Cruz has sound economic policies, not sure if he's going to privatize NASA, or scrap the EPA, and Department of Commerce (what Rick Perry, my second choice, wanted to do)

Yeah he should, Sorry about your port and I had a question about your user scenario, When I download it gives me a .rar file instead of .zip I tried to download a different campaign and it gave me a .zip so its not my computer, do you know how to fix this.

@Reagan04

Just a (second) advisory, as this was brought up before. You're auto-edit add-on targeting Trump's last name is still altering quotes by other posters that you quote, which, as you were made aware, is a breach of the terms of service of this forum, regardless of how, what, or why, and you had said you would fix that issue. I'm just bringing this up again in case you hadn't noticed, as it's been done by you, even if inadvertently, three times on this thread.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Reagan04

Just a (second) advisory, as this was brought up before. You're auto-edit add-on targeting Trump's last name is still altering quotes by other posters that you quote, which, as you were made aware, is a breach of the terms of service of this forum, regardless of how, what, or why, and you had said you would fix that issue. I'm just bringing this up again in case you hadn't noticed, as it's been done by you, even if inadvertently, three times on this thread.

I'm cool with it.

14 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yeah he should, Sorry about your port and I had a question about your user scenario, When I download it gives me a .rar file instead of .zip I tried to download a different campaign and it gave me a .zip so its not my computer, do you know how to fix this.

Fixed it, lol. Try again. My mistake.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Other posters, and most importantly, Anthony might no be...

First time I saw it, I thought some Black Magic was going on here, I was like, "whoa, what? Did I just subconsciously type, 'Drumpf'??" I began questioning my life choices until I saw it was edited. Lol.

Just now, Patine said:

And besides, how could you play online bridge with that add-on and declare your suit to be trump? ;)

What?:huh:

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Google "rules of bridge." ;)

I did and what in the world is going on with that reference?!

16 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Fixed it, lol. Try again. My mistake.

Thanks it worked like a charm!