270soft Forum

Some more beginner questions

servo75

Hello,

I've gotten involved in my first campaign and I have to say while I'm blown away by the depth of the game, I'm having a difficult time understanding how these screens work.  I made a list of questions, mainly from the sponsor and ad screens, I don't want to overwhelm the board with a lot of questions at once so I'll go just 1 or 2 at a time. I've read through the help files and I think I get the basics, but I'm unfortunately very confused about some of these topics.  I would appreciate any and all help with deciphering what I'm seeing and what to do with the information.    Thanks so much for your help, even if these are stupid questions :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm running as a Libertarian candidate opposing Gary Johnson in the primaries :)

I don’t really understand the endorsers screen… What do those last four columns and the top row mean?  I gather they're indicating the likelihood of someone endorsing me but am not sure how to decipher it.  Particularly “Momentum (+2 est)”, “Britz 12th: 0”, “Cruz: 25”, 0.3.  And when I click details, are these the benefits of getting sponsorship?  Also I’ve seen in some Youtube demos, you need to re-up the endorsements each turn, and click on Command Points and PIPs.  Sometimes I’m told that I’m out of them.   What are PIPs and how do I get more?  When my turn summary says I have new endorsers, how do I tell who’s endorsing me?

PI Understanding endorsers.PNG

PI Endorsers screen.PNG

I can’t make heads or tails out of the platform screen :(.  Does this have anything to do with strategy like which issues to use for platform speech, ads, and other leadership activities?   These seem to differ from state to state, but I would assume that this is also a guide to which of my own and which of my opponents’ issues to promote / attack in each state.

PI Platform WTH.PNG

Endorsers give momentum in states and nationally (for national endorsers).  They can also give your campaign money and/or foot soldiers.  It is on a 100-point scale and the values next to each candidate is the progress for that candidate for the endorsement.  The colored value is how far the candidate is from the position of the endorser.  So, the closer to zero, the closer the candidate is on the issues with the endorser.  Pips do not regenerate.  You start with some and then you gain more once you are the nominee.  When the turn summary says that there are new endorsers, that means that a person has opened up their endorsement which means that you can try and gain their support.  Endorsements are very helpful if you are running a long shot candidacy as they help build up momentum as well as a ground game.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I see two similar lists when I am picking an issue for Policy Speech (top) and Barnstorming / Rally /Ads (bottom).  First thing I notice is that the lists are worded differently, one has +- and one doesn't.  Why are some actual numbers and others just +- ? And in the bottom screen shot I have "Medium"s that are +4, "High" that is only -1, so there doesn't seem to be consistency there.  But then I'm not sure what these things mean.  I assume these lists are meant to help me pick an issue, but I'm not sure how.  I would figure different issues would be better to use in different states, but I'm not sure how to determine that either :(. 

Thanks for any help!

issue_policyspeech.png

issue_barnstorming.png

Edited by servo75

In general, I'm slowly getting the hang of the game just through practice and trial-and-error.  I'm in the primaries, and my "strategy" is in the week before each primary, move to each state, do a policy speech, barnstorm, rally, and fund raise. I have no idea what else to do.  How to pick issues for a policy speech and ads, states to fund-raise in, what “momentum” and “power”, how to “research” “issues” and “scandals”.

High, medium, and low are for how important the issue is to the state.  The +/- is a boost/reduction to a rally.  It is based off of the state's opinion and the opinion of the candidate.  If attacking, it is based off of the attacked candidate's position.  Barnstorming is a rally that is half the power.

7 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

High, medium, and low are for how important the issue is to the state.  The +/- is a boost/reduction to a rally.  It is based off of the state's opinion and the opinion of the candidate.  If attacking, it is based off of the attacked candidate's position.  Barnstorming is a rally that is half the power.

Ok that makes sense, thanks!  A couple of follow-ups if you don't mind...

Does +- by itself mean no boost, and therefore useless, even if it's a "High" importance?
What's more important, state importance or Is it better to choose, let's say a "Very High +3" or a "Medium +6", in terms of gaining favor among that state's voters?
How do you pick issues AGAINST an opponent (for an ad, etc.)?  Do you want to look for "High" and negative numbers?
Sometimes when clicking policy speech, I get " “No issues left to make a policy speech about!”.  Soooo. .. how do I get more issues? :unsure:

Policy speeches replenish when certain events happen and when you go to the general election.  When attacking look for issues with a +.  As for which is more powerful, test both of them and look at the rally strength.  Choose the rally with the highest strength.

Ok I think I'm starting to get it, thanks so much for your patience!  Ok so suppose I'm attacking my opponent in a policy speech on their union policies.  Would a "pro-me" speech on Integrity have the same effect (in theory) as an "attack" speech unions?  I guess what I'm still unclear on is how to choose issues (pro or attack).  How do I know what opponents issues to attack on?  I remember when I created my candidate I stated my positions on several issues, is that where these are taken from?  How do I know what issues my opponents are strong and weak on?

Also, for  barnstorming (why do some screens have +- values and some don't), I often get the same list no matter what state (I would think certain states have different values than others), or whether it's pro or attack.  I might have

"Leadership High +3" and "Integrity Medium +6", so from what you say, leadership is more likely to get a high response, but Integrity has the higher potential award, do I have that correct?  But again, if I don't like my opponent's immigration stance, does the -1 apply to me or them?

Sorry for so many questions, I think we need a manual :)

The -1 on an attack applies to your attack.  I am unsure about if a high issue is more likely to get attention.  An attack will have less effect than a boost.  The + or - is based on your candidate's (or candidate that you are attacking) position based on the state's position.