270soft Forum

A couple of noob questions

servo75

Hopefully this is the right forum, I'm using President Infinity 2016 but could find no folder for it.  I just bought a license for the game and it's very impressive so far.  I have a general question about campaign editing / creation.  If my questions seem weird, I'm just a fanatic about statistics and "what-if" scenarios.

1. How do I determine what party a leader or vice leader is in?  I might create my candidate after an existing Republican but want him to run as a Libertarian, or make a scenario where, for example, Trump and Sanders run as 3rd parties, or even having an "all independents" race.

2. Also can I "export" a candidate to another scenario, for example, I created my candidate based on the original 2016 campaign, but I'd download an alternate 2016 campaign and want to run my candidate with that group.  Or even... wait for it... All time "what-if" scenarios such as Reagan vs. FDR, Washington vs. Bill Clinton, Lincoln vs. Obama, YGTP :P,

3. Speaking of the above, is there a way to simulate a campaign, to see how they would have turned out?

4. And exactly what is the difference between a "campaign" and a "scenario", and what is the difference between those stored in the install folder vs. installed under "My Documents"?

The scenarios in my documents are user-made and the ones under the install file are official.  You cannot directly simulate a game but you can make a party and candidate that is not on the ballot in any state and just click through.  If you want to "export" candidates, you have to directly edit the files for a scenario which can be complicated. There are tabs that show which party a candidate/VP candidate is in.  To move a candidate to a different party, you wither have to wrote down all the candidate info and then delete the one in the current party.  Then, you have to re-create that candidate in the new party.  You could also edit the files, which against can be complicated.

Thanks so much!!! Actually since my post I have figured out how to edit the XML files.  I knew that Computer Science degree would pay off someday ;)

For others viewing this thread, make a backup of parties.xml and look for "political items", then go inside the party header, find your candidate, copy and paste to another party header.  I think this is easier than re-creating the candidate manually :)