270soft Forum

Q: Can clergymen seek public office in the US or are they prohibited from doing so?

Conservative Elector 2

Question's up. I don't know, but perhaps you can help me! :D Thanks!

P.S. this is for the fictional scenario, done by MG1992 important to me. :)

Ok, thanks for this answers!

@jvikings1 I forgot about Huckabee, true!

@Patine Ok, that sounds reasonable. Will try to bring this influence into a future character development.

In the US, aside from being active duty military or in prison, there is no law restricting you from running for office. In the American South-where religion is not only a belief system, but also a way of life, and the bond that keeps small towns close and connected- many preachers with excellent charisma enter politics having already established their name in the community with excellent sermons on Sunday morning(and this is really common, a simple google search for occupations of State Legislators of a southern state, or county legislators shows that being on pulpit is just as competiive with a law degree or background in the military,).

However, this gets really messy real quick, as the first amendment declares no official religion, and the government should not infringe on other people's faith(i,as a jew, benefit from this greatly haha) and because of this religions should not and will not be taxed. Also With this tax free privilege comes the responsibility of endorse a politician while on the pulpit- which totally doesn't happen in the US !!cough cough it does cough. But hopefully it does help,

Thank you very much for this answer! :) Actually I think it is good, that they are allowed to run for office.

Not that I know of, but I think it is an unusual practice. We only have some popular clergymen here; one cardinal, some (arch-)bishops and the priest of Austria's largest church in Vienna. All others are more comitted to their own local coummunity. :)

There is not much desire for them to enter politics.

I am not aware of any country where there is a secular law against it. Bear in mnd though that ALL Catholic priests are prevented by Canon Law from running for or holding political office, and not just those in certain monastic orders. If the clergyman is Evangelical, Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, Episcoplalian, Lutheran etc probably no issue.

Oh ok, that's perhaps the reason why our mostly Catholic priests do not run. :D Ok, I am no expert on Canon Law but it sounds reasonable. Thanks, extreme_right!!

In the US, aside from being active duty military or in prison, there is no law restricting you from running for office. In the American South-where religion is not only a belief system, but also a way of life, and the bond that keeps small towns close and connected- many preachers with excellent charisma enter politics having already established their name in the community with excellent sermons on Sunday morning(and this is really common, a simple google search for occupations of State Legislators of a southern state, or county legislators shows that being on pulpit is just as competiive with a law degree or background in the military,).

However, this gets really messy real quick, as the first amendment declares no official religion, and the government should not infringe on other people's faith(i,as a jew, benefit from this greatly haha) and because of this religions should not and will not be taxed. Also With this tax free privilege comes the responsibility of endorse a politician while on the pulpit- which totally doesn't happen in the US !!cough cough it does cough. But hopefully it does help,

I actually think that a person in prison can run for certain offices. But, some states have laws against this for state offices.