270soft Forum

A Scenario I'd Really Like to Do...

Patine

I know I've shown a desire for some pretty historical and obscure election scenarios. One I've often wanted to actually do is the Roman Republic (one of the key elections in the late Republic when the crises were going on), but the issue of lack of records and an odd way of their electoral system working (it worked significantly differently than ANY nation extent today). I do know the two main political factions (closest things to parties) were the Populares and the Optimates, which don't really at all translate to modern, or even 19th Century, views of the left-to-right-wing political spectrum. What is very close to recent politics, though, was the rising power of certain leaders' personality and popular appeal versus an entrenched aristocratic establishment. If I could figure out a way to do it, it might be neat...

If you are familiar with EU4, I'd recommend using their map as a starting point-though the Roman provinces and EU's dont exactly line up. I think the best starting date would be during or after the first Punic War-just so Cato the Elder can be a 5star endorser. :D