270soft Forum

Question About Planning

I start in October.

I tend to focus in on either Iowa, NH, SC or NV. I try to find which of those two can i be competitive in, if not all of them, though during this time I start a warchest of ads against the other party-keeping a close eye on whom is the lead in that party.. After New Years, I start running ads in Super Tuesday states, trying to build a wall to insure a safe delegate count. Generally by late March early April, I have a safe lead in the delegate count and begin campaigning in 'swing states'-those in the General election that are either light red or light blue.

I just think it's so hard to overtake Clinton. I was able to as Biden, but then come the General and Florina somehow won the Republican and just dominated the General. There were very few blue states at the start and so little time to flip a bunch of states.

That is my biggest gripe about the general election. The states' stats don't acurately reflect the demographics of potential voters and the advantage Democrats have in the electoral college.. Thank god for the campaign editor though, so it isn't too bad.

Just for the general. I kept losing as a Dem in Reagan-esque landslides(which I argue wont happen anytime soon).

I only used the data from the 2012 General(close, but won't give one side an unfair advantage).

Mind you, keep in mind that in RL, Romney lost the first several caucuses/primaries in 2012, the "key" ones always being mentioned, but did a big catch-up job with a whole bunch of them later and clinched the nomination.

How does everyone plan and treat the time from securing the nomination to the general?

I can never seem to hold momentum after winning the nomination before the other party (beginning of April) and on that path winning the general is a hard ask.

In the scenarios I've done as the Republicans I will end up fighting Clinton/Obama (both very strong candidates in 2008 and 2012 I know) but my momentum seems to be very flat at best or through the floor at worst.

Planning is obviously important but even with a decent number of ads, endorsers and org. strength with the odd rally or speech thrown in, its bringing limited reward and my opponent keeps a strong momentum also.

I remember in PFE08 a barrage of ads would help (eg. Beating Obama with 400 ECVs as Gingrich in 08.)

Thanks,

Mind you, keep in mind that in RL, Romney lost the first several caucuses/primaries in 2012, the "key" ones always being mentioned, but did a big catch-up job with a whole bunch of them later and clinched the nomination.

Romney lost Iowa but won New Hampshire. He lost South Carolina. But, then he won Florida and Nevada.

I feel like regardless how well I do in primaries, the Republicans just dominate the General Election regardless of their candidate.

I feel this but as a Republican who cant shift Clinton or Obama (2012/08). My momentum always goes through the floor once I lock up the nomination.