270soft Forum

French Election 2017

garythecat

Would anyone be interested in going outside the English speaking world for a 270 game? I know Germany was done, and that was crazy complex. France will be very interesting and different. Hollande vs Sarkozy vs Le Pen: A poor campaigner with high integrity vs an excellent campaigner with no integrity vs someone in between them both would be very interesting. And since it's a Presidential style election, it works very well with the PI model. Thoughts?

I actually have tonne (notice the metric unit!) of possible non-English-speaking scenarios that I might pursue, including a few French ones. Mind, I personally prefer historical scenarios, but I'm ALMOST done a West Germany 1949 scenario. I've been consistently annoyed that, even though it's been requested since the 2004 P4E game (the first iteration presidential game; we're on the fourth iteration now), and requested consistently in that period, Anthony hasn't even committed to CONSIDERING seriously an option for scenarios with popular vote and run-off elections as scenario design elements, he refuses to budge from all scenarios MUST effectively have an Electoral College with winner-takes-all regions and a House (which you CAN rename, at least) deciding if no majority is had. His inflexibility on that (and several other issues) are a few detractions from an otherwise stellar game company. I do also have a very well done map of France (I can't remember who made it, but they don't think they post here anymore), though divided into the unofficial regions instead of the official departments (but Haute-Normandie and Basse-Normandie fused as one region, instead of being separate), with Paris as a separate region, and the overseas departments and collectivities (except St. Barthelemy and Saint-Martin, which hadn't yet become separate from Guadelope at the time the map was made, which was for a 2007 scenario), and an unfurling Tri-Colour as it's background. I also happen to have the currently used flags for all those regions. So, I would be willing to collaborate, certainly, as I also have an interest in many non-English-speaking scenarios potentially (Continental European, Indian, Japanese, South Korean, Philipino, Israeli, Turkish, and Latin American would be ones I'd like to try, as well as, even though the ANC uses English as it's language of business (probably a backlash against the Afrikaans language) South Africa could count too). I also have a large stock of maps, flags, and party logos, and some portraits piled up with plans for such scenarios being enacted at some point.

This is great! Yes, I can recognise metric units. I hail from Australia, the land of the sensible and literate. The non-official division of regions is fine. NE and S Ontario for example, in the Canada PMI, and in Australia, dividing up Sydney from NSW and Melbourne from Victoria. I definitely want to see a France 2017, because it's so interesting to watch to see who will win and the massive impact that it will have on the world, certainly more than Trudeau winning the Canadian election or the outcome of the Australian 2016 election.