270soft Forum

Feature You'd Most Like to See

Sometimes, when you visit a region with only 1 riding, or there's a region that only has one riding really friendly to you, it would be nice if you didn't have to pay the full price for barnstorming. Maybe have the base cost be 10000 per riding visited, with up to 4 ridings visitable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I had this idea when I was working on the by-election scenario. It would be an idea to have the winner declared by popular vote, despite losing out in winning polling stations. Like, Candidate X can get 30 stations and 25%, but candiate B can get 28 stations and 32% and lose, which is not how it's supposed to happen.

Just some small things. In the British version, it would be nice to see British words and terms being used.

Barnstorming -> Canvassing

Election day -> Polling day

Platform -> Mannifesto

Blair wins -> Labour wins

It would make it more authentic and its probably one of the easiest suggestions to implement.

I agree with this suggestiong, it is something I find to be slightly annoying also the times of when the results for each "region" comes in has EST behind it, does this stand for estimated or Eastern Standard Time, if it is the latter should not be changed to GMT ?

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with this suggestiong, it is something I find to be slightly annoying also the times of when the results for each "region" comes in has EST behind it, does this stand for estimated or Eastern Standard Time, if it is the latter should not be changed to GMT ?

And I wish entire regions wouldn't just declare 2hours before polling finishes. I also don't understand whats wrong with my regional idea.

I think it would be good to be able to adjust how accurate polling is. It should be easy to do in the scenario folder. That way, we could have 'extreme fog of war' rather than just on or off.

• 2 months later...

I've thought of a new addition to the 'Constituency Editor'. When you right click a constituency and 'Add Party', you get the list of parties you've removed. But you're also given the option of adding another party, not on the list.

I tested making a party and adding it to a constituency to see wherever it'd work, and it didn't show up on the constituency. My suggestion is allowing you to add that party. The party would not be interactive, it would just sit in a constituency. This would be useful for adding little local parties rather than labelling smaller parties under the tag of 'Independent'. They would be a default grey by colour.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I'd like to see, more of a tweak as opposed to a new addition to the game though.

Make party percentages in constituencies actually match their given percentages when developed. I notice that in the UK 2005 Scenario, smaller parties like UKIP, BNP and Green have a few more percent than was given in the scenario. It's actually double the percent than given in the scenario at times. Surely the percentage should match what was given in the scenario precisely, or more liberally at least give or take a percent rather than jump a few upwards?

• 3 months later...

Hi all:

I posted this on the game scenarios section, but I was referred to this area of the forum. Let's try my luck.

While playing a game as John Edwards, the situation going into the Democratic Convention was:

John Edwards, with 2139 Delegates, 35 states and territories

Hillary Clinton, with 1654 Delegates, 19 states and territories

Al Gore, with 520 Delegates, with California only

Northern Mariana Island didn’t count

2157 delegates are needed for the nomination so it was a broken convention.

Then, Al gore throw his support behind Hillary Clinton, and my candidate John Edwards, despite being a handful of delegates shy of the nomination and having won the majority of the states, was left without the nomination. Furthermore, I was given the option to continue playing as Hillary. I was fuming! :angry:

Then, I though about pulling a Joe Liberman strategy and running John Edwards as an independent.

I am wondering: Can we do something like that with a scenario change, or it has to be done at the program level. :unsure:

It is just a provoking though, but if it worked in real life, perhaps we should consider it as an addition to the game.

From-CA :D

Sorry!!! Wrong forum section. Please, disregards.

From-CA

• 2 weeks later...

What I'd like to see is a way to make the Independents more Indepent... running the Independents as a national party, in my mind, defeats their purpose. Perhaps this is where the by-election concept would be applied. Course, I imagine that would be heck to program, especially if you had a human playing a party as well as Independent.

• 4 weeks later...

This probably has been discussed elsewhere, but can a way be made for us to select what electoral system we want to use for a scenario? I'm also working on the 2006 Toronto Mayoralty Race, and ideally would have FPTP across the city ("nation"), but am settling for the parliamentary style.

• 1 month later...

Highest Scores

The Highest Scores table will inform me what the highest scores I have achieved in playing all the scenarios collectively. I think it would be better if the highest scores table could relate to specific scenarios instead.

I would envisage highest scores folders being located instead in the relevant scenario folder.

If 80 soft prefer not to make this change, perhaps it is easy enough for people like myself to make the relevant change if 80 soft were kind enough to tell us how.

• 2 weeks later...

Prime Minister Commonwealth

It's been noted before, but I've combed back through the thread for everything that seems reasonable and put it all in one package.

As it is the 3 separate versions of the game are a little silly especially when you look at the scenarios page and UK whatever installs under PM Canada. So whenever Congress Forever is done why not combine the Canadian, British, and Australian games into one package (maybe add New Zealand? to get the full parliamentary English world) and use that as a base going forward.

I add my voice to the chorus for multiple electoral systems that you can select as a counterfactual option. At the moment the countries use:

Canada, UK: FPTP (Ontario and BC may be moving to MMP and STV respectively).

Australia: STV for the Senate, prefential voting for the House of Representives (i.e. instant run-off, alternative vote)

New Zealand: MMP

So if you stuck all that in a package you already have the various voting systems needed and its fairly simply to toggle it on and off. Maybe for MMP and STV let the options be tweaked as the results for STV vary on the counting formula used and MMP has many variations. Just take the math formula's and arbitrarily assign second/third/fourth choices based on historical data (in Australia) and on the handful of polls asking what their second choice party was (elsewhere). For older elections without data you could probably make a good stab at how people would vote (i.e. a third of the CPC party would stick Liberal as their second choice, the Greens would split between all parties, and so forth).

Add all the President Forever 2008 and Congress Forever new features, natch.

As also mentioned more sensible boundaries would make sense. Counties in the UK for example, and both Canada and Australia could use more regions. If the US gets 50, everybody else needs more.

A realistic treatment of money in the different countries (this actually includes President Forever + Primaries as well). As it is money is completely arbitrary. Its not that hard to go look at what parties have on hand and have had on hand for the various election campaigns and then adjust what things cost to match reality.

Furthermore some places like Canada have election limits on how much money you have to spend. The CPC right now has more money then they could legally use in an election campaign so perhaps a small pre-election window should exist where all parties either spend money like drunken sailors (the CPC) or desperately try and stockpile (the Liberals). In addition to this you could randomize the election date across a week or so—the deadline would never be quite known. The pre-election window should be optional of course, for people who prefer starting with historical data.

Fund-raising overall should be redone. Look at how much freakin' money the US parties are raising for the primaries and the general for example, and in Canada you're now stuck with very low limits on donations which affects the Liberals (no more corporations) and the NDP (no more unions). So perhaps a fund-raising area where you build direct mail and email operations (boosts for good news articles, less for bad news articles) as well as fund-raising with your leader—which should be specific based on where you are and how popular you are in that area and overall. The current background funding doesn't really cut it.

A more realistic ground operation. Target as many seats as you want but relate it to your popular vote of last election combined with your current popular vote. Therefore you can target as many seats as you want, but you better have a great deal of money for marginal seats as you're building an operation from the ground up without that many volunteers (since its unlikely you'll win) and have to use professionals and more advertising and door knocking simply because you're not that well known.

Options to deal with other parties while running the campaign (or perhaps only in my suggested pre-election window). For example the Australian Coalition doesn't run Liberal candidates in National seats and vice-versa. Certainly the Canadian Reform and PC parties could have struck a deal like this in 1997/2000/2004 (assuming they didn't merge) and so forth.

It's been noted before, but I've combed back through the thread for everything that seems reasonable and put it all in one package.

As it is the 3 separate versions of the game are a little silly especially when you look at the scenarios page and UK whatever installs under PM Canada. So whenever Congress Forever is done why not combine the Canadian, British, and Australian games into one package (maybe add New Zealand? to get the full parliamentary English world) and use that as a base going forward.

I add my voice to the chorus for multiple electoral systems that you can select as a counterfactual option. At the moment the countries use:

Australia: STV for the Senate, prefential voting for the House of Representives (i.e. instant run-off, alternative vote)

So if you stuck all that in a package you already have the various voting systems needed and its fairly simply to toggle it on and off. Maybe for MMP and STV let the options be tweaked as the results for STV vary on the counting formula used and MMP has many variations. Just take the math formula's and arbitrarily assign second/third/fourth choices based on historical data (in Australia) and on the handful of polls asking what their second choice party was (elsewhere). For older elections without data you could probably make a good stab at how people would vote (i.e. a third of the CPC party would stick Liberal as their second choice, the Greens would split between all parties, and so forth).

As also mentioned more sensible boundaries would make sense. Counties in the UK for example, and both Canada and Australia could use more regions. If the US gets 50, everybody else needs more.

A realistic treatment of money in the different countries (this actually includes President Forever + Primaries as well). As it is money is completely arbitrary. Its not that hard to go look at what parties have on hand and have had on hand for the various election campaigns and then adjust what things cost to match reality.

Furthermore some places like Canada have election limits on how much money you have to spend. The CPC right now has more money then they could legally use in an election campaign so perhaps a small pre-election window should exist where all parties either spend money like drunken sailors (the CPC) or desperately try and stockpile (the Liberals). In addition to this you could randomize the election date across a week or so—the deadline would never be quite known. The pre-election window should be optional of course, for people who prefer starting with historical data.

Fund-raising overall should be redone. Look at how much freakin' money the US parties are raising for the primaries and the general for example, and in Canada you're now stuck with very low limits on donations which affects the Liberals (no more corporations) and the NDP (no more unions). So perhaps a fund-raising area where you build direct mail and email operations (boosts for good news articles, less for bad news articles) as well as fund-raising with your leader—which should be specific based on where you are and how popular you are in that area and overall. The current background funding doesn't really cut it.

A more realistic ground operation. Target as many seats as you want but relate it to your popular vote of last election combined with your current popular vote. Therefore you can target as many seats as you want, but you better have a great deal of money for marginal seats as you're building an operation from the ground up without that many volunteers (since its unlikely you'll win) and have to use professionals and more advertising and door knocking simply because you're not that well known.

Options to deal with other parties while running the campaign (or perhaps only in my suggested pre-election window). For example the Australian Coalition doesn't run Liberal candidates in National seats and vice-versa. Certainly the Canadian Reform and PC parties could have struck a deal like this in 1997/2000/2004 (assuming they didn't merge) and so forth.

I was interested in your comments about the UK regions. I think that the UK regions are a bit too big. I am not sure that dividing the UK by counties would be ideal as I think this would make them too small.

Why are they too big?

Making the regions big makes putting out adverts more expensive. This means that a player usually ends up targetting their efforts into some regions at the expence of others. The result is that you do very well in some regions and poorly in others. In the UK there is not that much regional variation in voting, so the game lacks a certain amount of realism.

Campaign Realism

Regional campaigning in the UK doesn't really exist. The major media outlets are National and the more local media outlets tend to be very local eg. riding size. Parties tend to run National campaigns and ridings campaigns. The geography and transport infrastructure of the UK does not prevent a party leader barnstorming in London during the morning and in Glasgow later that day. The existing regions seem to correspond to the regional TV areas, which has some logic. UK Counties don't hold the same degree of public identity as say Canadian provinces.

The Game's the Thing

It may make sense to forego a certain amount of campaign realism in the search for reproducing a UK game that works as well as the Canada game. At the moment it doesn't. Creating arbitary smaller regions may help and may work better than counties. Anyone who has developed a UK scenario using counties may be able to enlighten us further.

Highest Scores

The Highest Scores table will inform me what the highest scores I have achieved in playing all the scenarios collectively. I think it would be better if the highest scores table could relate to specific scenarios instead.

I would envisage highest scores folders being located instead in the relevant scenario folder.

If 80 soft prefer not to make this change, perhaps it is easy enough for people like myself to make the relevant change if 80 soft were kind enough to tell us how.

Good point. I tried amending the list by adding the scenario manually and then it wouldn't work.

Excellent idea with PM Commonwealth. The fundraising section would be useful as well, and you could still attend a fundraiser if you wanted, as you said.

I was at a conference a couple weeks back, and they told us that typically a leader will do no more than 3 events a day. It does feel rather limiting to me to be restricted to 1 event a day, so even if a second event could be added (along with the added CP and PP costs, fine.) that'd be great.

Also, I'd like to see two policy speeches for each issue made available from the start, and maybe make the second one only half as effective as the first or something. That should add to the realism of the game.

DP.

• 4 weeks later...

For fundraising, I think there should be two options: a large fundraiser, and a small fundraiser. The large one would still take 3 CPs, but the small would only take 1, or maybe 2. It would just make it easier for smaller parties to fundraise, other then sitting out a turn to have background fundraising take effect.

This is a good idea.

At the moment, a player can do any one of 5 things each turn; Debate Prep, Issue Knowledge, Fundraise, Barnstorm or make a speech. I wonder if it would also be good to enable a player to do 2 things each turn by splitting these 5 things. The advantage is that it would enable a player to use what CPs they have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...