270soft Forum

Feature You'd Most Like to See

I suggest that each state have their own issue profile (importance). It makes more sense that certain states place a greater emphasis on different issues. Gameplay would be more realistic and make the the candidates platforms more interesting. For example it would mean more to have your position in line with California's on the environment. It wouldn't matter too much if it disagreed with Nebraska's on the environment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a pretty cool idea! It would be fun connecting with other campaigners for a game.

Certainly, but it is important to make sure the candidates all have reasonable shot at the money... at least some shot... Romney should have the edge...but it shouldn't be impossible for other candida

Good idea! Maybe you could also throw in Vice Presidential Interviews... you how much damage those did to Sarah Palin in 2008... I'd also like to see some ads on the Veeps. I know the McCain campaig

Posted Images

This Veep bug is now fixed in the upcoming version.

Veep bonuses work the following way:

Regional Veep bonus = Your candidate gains x% of voters who are committed, leaning, or undecided and not in your column.

For example, if you set Ridge's Veep bonus to 5 for Pennsylvania, when your candidate McCain selects Ridge you gain 5% of all the voters who are not already in your column in Pennsylvania. Let's say you have 55% of the votes in Pennsylvania, you would then gain 5% of 45% (which is the percentage of voters not already in your column) = 0.05 * 0.45 = 2.25%. This would be a swing, so in a 2-candidate race you would gain 2.25% and your opponent would lose 2.25%. In this case, it amounts to a 4.5% shift.

(So in an evenly divided 50%-50% state, a Veep Bonus of 5 would amount to a 5% shift.)

Thanks,

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Also, Eletric Monk, I set [the Veep Bonus] to 35, - and still nothing. Or at least, very little that I don't notice. [ After trying numerous lower levels. ]

Leader general election regional bonuses are implemented for the upcoming version. You can now set bonuses (or minuses) for any regions. If that Leader wins their party's contest (or you start in general election mode), they will gain those bonuses (or minuses) for those regions.

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Think of it this way: in 1968 Nixon had very limited coattails in California, but Reagan as a popular sitting governor would have somewhat more coattails. There is no way to tell the game that if Candidate A is playing, he gets this home state bonus, but if candidate B is playing he gets this home state bonus.

So you can set it, but you can only cover the expected general election candidate (Nixon) and you can't cover alternative general election candidates (Reagan).

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been suggested or not. But... what about the option to buy Command Points for your candidate? That way, you could do more with money then just mainly using it for advertising. The extra command points could be used for foot soldiers and things like that. That way, having more money would be more of an advantage since it can lead to a better ground game.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to see on the opening page (right after you select the scenario and all the candidates) I wish that you could set a date for each candidate to enter. (Fred Thompson- July 4, 2007 or John McCain Feb.15, 2007 or Hillary Clinton November 7, 2006) whether they were the real dates or not. Certainly there are the loopholes: setting all the candidates to one dya before the iowa caucus, and winning the nominmation easily, but overall this would make the game more fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to see the convention more in depth.Have the delegates vote and allow the canditates to pick speakers out of a list of party endorsers who each have negative and positive impacts. Show the states voting 1 by 1 and all that stuff.

If this advanced comvention was implemeted with my endorsers become crusaders idea, you could choose your speakers with a possible benefit or a backlash. If you chose only the one's who supported you and left out diehard supporters of the other candidate (if it became a close primary battle like this year), you could lose some of your base support. If you split time between you and the other candidate's people, you could see a unity benefit. The twist, if it were at all possible to give different endorsers different base power levels (much like with crusaders), the speakers you chose would have an effect on the overall running of the convention. Say my support has 3 base power, yet my opponent's biggest surrogate only has a 1 for base power. I would have to weigh unity against the speaker's talents. There would probably have to be an array of new features added to make this work (endorsers become crusaders, every endorser has a base power, a party unit rating (much like electabilty) and the expanded convetion.) I don't know much about computer programming, so I would like to know if any of this could be possible

• Upvote 1

1- Recount (You have to pay for it, with your own money)

2- Have more than 1 campaign stop a day; it's not usual to see candidate just having 1 event/day

3- Candidates should be able to target specific groups. Like visiting a college would help with young voters.

3- Win the election, then govern for a while, then re-election

4- Press Releases

5- Challenge opponent to a debate; that the candidate host at his/her rally.

6- Concede a state; or the whole race. (Especially when they won't call the state when you already know you lost.

7- Network Play

8- Have endorsers campaign for you

9- Fire campaign staff

10- Hire campaign staff

12- Open campaign offices

13- You pay the campaign bills; like for travel.

14- Local Ad's to target pop. cities

15- Have the ability to have endorsers campaign for you.

16- Election results stream in for primary nights; instead of dozens of messages. Like: Barack Obama wins Maryland (99 delagates)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1. A more in-depth Vice Presidential nominee. The VP should have his/her own portrait, platform, changeable Issue Familiarity, and you should be able to dig up scandals on the VP candidates.

In addition, in the rare event that the election is a 269-269 tie, the Vice-Presidential candidate should be included. It would make it interesting if the President and VP were from different parties!

2. Different kinds of scandals. There should be personal scandals, ethical scandals, financial scandals, and combinations of two or more of those. The profile and negativity should be different depending on the type of scandal - personal scandals tend to get higher publicity, etc.

There should also be scandals that are so bad they force a candidate to drop out.

3. A more detailed debating process. Debates should be different settings and different topics, and these should affect the candidates' performances.

For example, a town hall-style debate would help a candidate with a lot of charisma, whereas a foreign policy debate would help a candidate with high issue familiarity.

4. Another poster mentioned vote rigging and various other illegal covert activities. I would like to expand on that - the unethical activities should range from simple spying like the game has to assassinations, vote rigging and cheating during the debates. These should of course be difficult to pull off with a high probability of getting caught.

There could also be break-ins (like Watergate) which could give you information, scandals and money but with a high risk of a huge scandal occurring.

5. On Election Night, instead of the states being red or blue before they're officially called, maybe color them white or some other color for "Too Close To Call". The constant flipping back and forth of colors from red to blue doesn't usually happen on Election Night, except with Florida in 2000.

6. Have commentary, even if it's in text, on Election Night that discusses the performance of the candidates. Something like "McCain needs to win Iowa and New Mexico" or "Obama is doing better than expected in Ohio".

7. Change the High Scores to reflect the real best performances of presidential candidates. Some of them are correct but some aren't. They should also include ties and one decimal place, like the game.

1. George Washington 1789 (69/69, 92.4%)

2. George Washington 1792 (132/132, 71.1%)

3. James Monroe 1820 (231/232, 80.1%)

4. Franklin Roosevelt 1936 (523/531, 60.8%)

5. Ronald Reagan 1984 (525/538, 58.8%)

6. Richard Nixon 1972 (520/538, 60.7%)

7. Thomas Jefferson 1804 (162/176, 72.8%)

8. James Monroe 1816 (183/217, 68.2%)

9. Lyndon Johnson 1964 (486/538, 61.1%)

10. Dwight Eisenhower 1956 (457/531, 57.4%)

• Upvote 1

I'm strongly opposed to putting in vote rigging and such. It sounds absurd for a thing to pop up like "Mr. McCain, would you like to totally ace the debate by... cheating?" That'd seriously damage a campaign, and being caught vote rigging during the election would basically force a candidate out of the race. This means that one click could end your campaign.

If they even put it in though, I'd hope it'd be turned off by default. (So should spies, actually, but they're extremely minor so I don't mind)

I just want 80Soft to get their original "candidate can drop out of primaries and run their own campaign" thing going, so John Anderson can be simulated properly in the 1980 scenario, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a random ' Knockout ' event.

Wether it was " There you go again " or " You had an option, Sir " knockouts like these have literally made or broke campaigns, may I also say that the people that said those two things in debates, Ronald Reagan and Brian Mulroney respectivey, were behind in the polls and literally had the biggest election wins in the history of their countries. I think it should be very rare, but an event would come up saying " -Candidate here- scores a Debate Knockout! " and you should get a 15-20 momentum boost.

I want a random ' Knockout ' event.

Wether it was " There you go again " or " You had an option, Sir " knockouts like these have literally made or broke campaigns, may I also say that the people that said those two things in debates, Ronald Reagan and Brian Mulroney respectivey, were behind in the polls and literally had the biggest election wins in the history of their countries. I think it should be very rare, but an event would come up saying " -Candidate here- scores a Debate Knockout! " and you should get a 15-20 momentum boost.

It should be tied to debating skills.

Ya, but you could put it in so that it can happen only during the day of the debate. Then create 3 other identical events. Then you can give the a % of happening.

Yep, that's what I meant. The thing is, knock-out events are simply not very likely (especially when most of the candidates in the field aren't great debaters).

Even the pretty bad ones—Ford on Poland, Carter and his daughter Amy, Dole on "Democratic Wars"—were not knock out punches. Arguably the only one that does qualify is Reagan's "There you go again" but that was the whole debate performance assuring people that Reagan wasn't nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

A 'Random Issue Profile' facility

A randon facility exists for starting percentages in the electorate trends file.

eg.

// percentages below are randomized slightly for each game, according to the following variable x:1. This means the maximum percentage change in any given party will be x, with an average of x/2

Perhaps a similar random facility could be introduced for the starting issue profiles.

Scenario Specific Highest Score facility

There is only one High Score file which enables you to view your highest scores in all scenarios

I would prefer to see my highest scores for each scenario as comparing performances from one scenario to the next is meaningless.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...