270soft Forum

The Grand Update for elections 1788-1956!

Here is my general checklist for the grand update for all the scenarios. The quicker you can help me, the quicker I can get to 1960 through the present:

1. fix Typos

2. Improving phrasing in bios and issues
3. Figuring out money coefficient
4. Create events (if someone can do the coding part)
5. Remove PACs
6. Add candidates and VP candidates
7. Add minor parties
8. Add a "watcher" party to sim elections and watch the CPU play
9. Find party logos for parties that need them
10. Update population numbers
11. Make sure every politician has at least 1% for the primaries in each state
12. Make sure the eligible voters vote
13. Add state % bonuses to presidential candidates
14. Set relations
15. Set endorsers to like candidates in their state, if same party.
16. Add celebrity/famous endorsers, if politically relevant
17. Add newspaper endorsers
18. Make other scenario specific changes based on feedback from the website
19. Add newspaper interviews
20. Make sure types of ads are historically accurate.
21. Potentially add far-left and far-right to the issues
You can definitely help me out in this. The quicker I can do this, the quicker I can get to 1960 and forward.

I had a look around, and finding a Whig party logo that's not specific to a given election's campaign seems to be very challenging. I have a poster announcing a "grand Whig meeting" with a rising eagle and no apparent date on it. I already had cropped it to the dimensions for TheorySpark games party logo use that I was going to use somewhere and didn't get around to it. I could e-mail that to you if you'd like.

You did (as unfortunate as the need is from our modern perspective) excluded women, Blacks (both slaves and freedmen), Native Americans, and White males in those Southern States that still had a land requirement to vote who don't own that much land, and Jews and Roman Catholics where they excluded? (Just a checklist there).

Yes, I'm using the actual number of voters that voted in the election. So, for instance, South Carolina, which doesn't have a popular vote until after the Civil War. Has 1 pop vote (can't do 0), but like 11 EVs.

For states which didn't have a popular vote, you could try to find out how many councilmen participated for them in the election.

I've read sometime ago, that in Colorado, for instance about 25 councilmen had voted for their favourite candidate until the 1876 election. Perhaps that would be an idea for you. :)

For states which didn't have a popular vote, you could try to find out how many councilmen participated for them in the election.

I've read sometime ago, that in Colorado, for instance about 25 councilmen had voted for their favourite candidate until the 1876 election. Perhaps that would be an idea for you. :)

This is what I did for the 1824 election. I found the state congress members numbers for the states like that and used that as the vote eligible population.

That's a good point. I've been putting "1"

I'll have to figure out the council numbers when I cycle back to the start of the presidential elections.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I'll reach out to you, No One 2016, when I get to events.

Right now I've finished 1788-1904 in the first update. Still have 1908-1956 to go. This first update is purely updating the eligible voters (the actual population doesn't matter in the game).

If you want to help me in this, it would be great. It's a really tedious task, so I end up doing one election every day or three. At this rate, a full update will take a year or more, and then I won't get to 1960-present scenarios until then. If you want to help, all you need to do, is:

- Post on this thread which scenario(s) you will update.

- download one of the scenarios from 1908-1956, that corresponds with the scenario(s) you said you'd update.

- Go to the editor, go to regions, and then update each state's eligible voters.

- For eligible voters, I use the total votes for each state using wikipedia's state-by-state results under the election article for any given year. The totals are on the extreme right column.

- When you're done, put the scenario into a zip file and email it to me. You can PM me for my email address, or I can PM you if you volunteer to help with the voters.

- When 1788-1956 have been update for eligible voters, then I will edit the game files so that 100% of these eligible voters vote, rather than just a portion of them.

After this tedious first round update, I'll then have a much larger and all-encompassing second round of the grand update (including Events and favorability, hopefully). The third round of the grand update will probably just be looking for typos, improving word choice, as well as any other final things that someone catches. I'd like to have all three rounds of updates done by Feb 1st.

Oh, one more thing. If anyone wants to help me with the eligible voters mentioned in the previous post. You should probably work from 1956 towards the direction I'm going. I'm currently working on 1908.

Oh, just a very minor, largely semantic thing about the 1789 election and the currency symbol. In that election, the US dollar, as a currency, hadn't yet been minted, and over a dozen currencies were stated as being used in the then-fledgling country. I'm not sure how best to represent that, but it's worth noting if you feel perfectionist enough to tackle it.

I have now updated the eligible voters through 1940. Only 4 more until the more expansive round 2 of the Grand Update.

For those keeping track of this thread. Try to think of some candidates you'd like to see in the elections between 1788 and 1956. If they seem like viable candidates, I'll add them. I think I'll probably add a few more Democrats to 1940 and 1944, with the assumption that the Democrats want to stop FDR from serving too many terms.

You could probably add James Clark McReynolds, as a democratic challenger for FDR in 1936 and 1940 or even in 1944.