270soft Forum

Prime Minister Infinity - Canada: Feedback

Thought it might be useful to have one of these.

It actually looks pretty good to me (I've only played one campaign so far, though). Really did a bang up job on this one, Anthony, and I can't help myself from saying that this or the UK 2015 game is your best yet. Kudos to you.

I've noticed that the Canadian map doesn't lend it's self to being the most pretty to look at when it comes to something like this (compared to the UK and the US), but still, it looks fantastic. Looking forward to the updates, and, of course, the past campaigns. :)

Cheers.

How will this game (at least the 2015 scenario) cover this election's unprecedented tactic (well, it was present in 2011 too, I guess) by the Conservatives that ALL real campaigning is done by Harper, a few other select Cabinet members, and nation-wide advertising, and all rank-and-file candidates in the party (the vast majority of them) are essentially told to avoid all debates and questions, shut-up publicly, and effectively not campaign themselves?

How will this game (at least the 2015 scenario) cover this election's unprecedented tactic (well, it was present in 2011 too, I guess) by the Conservatives that ALL real campaigning is done by Harper, a few other select Cabinet members, and nation-wide advertising, and all rank-and-file candidates in the party (the vast majority of them) are essentially told to avoid all debates and questions, shut-up publicly, and effectively not campaign themselves?

I wonder why he wants them to hush up? Weird, isn't it?

Add in some events?

"Conservative MP not seen in public for 24 days; RCMP to open investigation." -2 Conservatives Leadership

Anyway, I played one round of this over the weekend as Mulcair and won a minority government with 136 seats - the Conservatives had 126, the Liberals 73, the Greens 2, and the Bloc 1. I actually had expected to win by a slightly larger margin (though still well short of a majority) based on the final polls, but the Conservatives won a lot of close races in Ontario and still took 28 of 34 ridings in Alberta, where the Liberals took 1 riding each in Calgary and Edmonton, and I won 3 in Edmonton plus Lethbridge.

Overall I give it top marks - it took what was already working well in the recent U.S. and UK games and made it work in the Canadian context too. I also noticed that there was much more unpredictable fluctuation in the vote totals, which IMO is a good thing - sometimes Election Night can get a bit tedious when you can basically tell who's going to win probably 90% of the seats once the percentages reporting get up around 20-25%, but that was definitely not the case here. Stephane Dion, for example, was actually trailing by about 5% with 63% of the vote reporting in his riding, but he ended up winning comfortably, by at least 10 or 15 points if I remember correctly. Also, as something of an amateur Excel nerd, I usually keep my own list of all the seats and tick off some of them as "won" before they get to 100% reporting if the margin looks wide enough, and this time several of my predictions were wrong, which hasn't usually happened in the past.

I haven't really done anything with the Campaign Editor yet, but I might take a crack at designing a parliamentary election for another country using this engine (though the number of countries using first-past-the-post is pretty small, so I'm not sure where I'd go with it - maybe a fictional scenario). And I'll probably use it to tweak this campaign to include some alternate leader scenarios. ("What if Jack Layton survived?" will be one of them.)

One question - what do the x's and y's next to the candidate names mean, given that a lot of these ridings are new or redrawn? Do incumbents get an "x" regardless of whether they're running in a riding with the same name as from 2011 or how extensively it has been redrawn? And does a "y" mean that the 2015 borders would make that party the incumbent based on the 2011 results?

@RI Democrat,

Thanks for this feedback!

"One question - what do the x's and y's next to the candidate names mean, given that a lot of these ridings are new or redrawn? Do incumbents get an "x" regardless of whether they're running in a riding with the same name as from 2011 or how extensively it has been redrawn? And does a "y" mean that the 2015 borders would make that party the incumbent based on the 2011 results?"

x is supposed to mean incumbent candidate, y incumbent party (if incumbent candidate not running again).

Since, as you rightly point out, the borders have been redrawn, x means incumbent candidate (even though in a riding with different borders), y from what would be the incumbent party, although this isn't always clear cut with borders shifting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game has a big problem.

I bought the game and the big problem is dubble.

-1 The money.

-WIth this cash Harper is almost sure to secure the power, even with a possible majority again.

-The Liberals can't jump seriously like currently where a big percent of the Canadians electors think that the Canada will have possibly a Trudeau governement between the minority and the majority.

-It's impossible to the Bloc, even with 78 seats only to reach the goal, 2 millions it's false (because there's a cabinet of rich french-speaking who give easily between 5 and 10 millions of $ to the Bloc Quebecois at each election.

-2 The system

-The broadcasts haven't enough power, for exemple if I spent (and I did this) 7,5 millions of dollars in Quebec the last two weeks I've juste between 4 and 7 seats because the NPD is considered as too high (and I signed a truce before to crashing him, like I made in the USA game to win big majorities (a)).

But for the system of count he's really good and respects the Canadian system.

My opinion is that the PLC could have, at least 20 millions (and not 12,5) and the Bloc min 5 millions, or to create some corporations like in the 2011 mod (which was excellent) to give some millions to the parties in more.

The game has a big problem.

I bought the game and the big problem is dubble.

-1 The money.

-WIth this cash Harper is almost sure to secure the power, even with a possible majority again.

-The Liberals can't jump seriously like currently where a big percent of the Canadians electors think that the Canada will have possibly a Trudeau governement between the minority and the majority.

-It's impossible to the Bloc, even with 78 seats only to reach the goal, 2 millions it's false (because there's a cabinet of rich french-speaking who give easily between 5 and 10 millions of $ to the Bloc Quebecois at each election.

I've been able to keep Harper in 2nd or 3rd place, once playing as the NDP and once as the Liberals. I do agree that the Liberals start off in a little too deep a hole in the scenario - were their funds really as low compared to the Conservatives and the NDP when the campaign started?

I suppose one issue that has always been a potential problem in 270soft games is how volatile you want to make the electorate. It can be boring if only a few close-to-real-life outcomes are possible, but go too far the other way and you can end up with ridiculous results like the NDP winning 250 seats, or an American scenario where Democrats win Wyoming and Utah. This Canadian election is especially difficult since it appears that some voters may have been shifting between the NDP and the Liberals based on who seems to be the more viable alternative to Harper, rather than on specific issue positions or characteristics of the leaders.

I suppose you could add something like the niqab controversy as an event that punishes the NDP for its policy, but the events function by issue position rather than party, and from what I can tell, Trudeau's position isn't any different than Mulcair's.

Now that the election results are pretty much certain (I don't think the last bit of counting left is enough to seriously lurch the apparent results), if the Canada 2015 scenario makes a Liberal majority very difficult - reports of next-to-impossible have surfaced here - it very much seems the scenario is very flawed in design and needs more retooling...

Yeah, my proposal is to, possibly, give the same cash to Trudeau than to Mulcair or close to him and to give between 5 and 10 millions to Duceppe, Harper and Mulcair seem good for me and the final is surely to give a small help to the polls.

Maybe making more easy the changes in percents or showing how the electorate can be more volatile.

My best party with Harper was 174 seats it seems good for me.

My best party with Mulcair was 151 that's possibly my fault here ^^.

My best party with Duceppe (and here with a crazy final (Banstorms,rallies,adds for 7.5 millions of $) =>11 seats.

And that's why we come back to the first problem, the surprise of this election was the Niquab's effect, and I think that this case has revealed the neutrality of the NPD on many important cases, that's possibly the explanation of the Liberal's wave combined to the wish to see Harper going out.

I followed the electoral night in Quebec and we've got many surprises, each party has received more gains and the NPD was successful to keep many seats in the province.

Now that the election results are pretty much certain (I don't think the last bit of counting left is enough to seriously lurch the apparent results), if the Canada 2015 scenario makes a Liberal majority very difficult - reports of next-to-impossible have surfaced here - it very much seems the scenario is very flawed in design and needs more retooling...

Maybe one way to do it, aside from adjusting the starting financial totals, would be to give the NDP a lower "committed" percentage than the Liberals and Conservatives, but also make "Harper Government" an issue with most provinces left-of-center so that the Conservatives have a tougher time picking off wavering NDP voters?

(To be fair to Anthony and the rest of the 270soft crew, it seems like hardly anybody saw this huge of a Liberal victory coming - it seems like the polls at the start of the game reflect where things stood at the beginning pretty accurately.)

You're actually probably right, RI Democrat. This election is reminiscent of the 1957 one, where Diefenbaker winning a Minority Government when everyone was certain St. Laurent would pull out yet another majority, just likely a reduced one, surprised everyone then too - including Diefenbaker himself. I struggled with how to approach that scenario for quite a while before actually diving into scenario design itself, and I can actually see a similar ideal here.

But the goal for each party is to gain a majority including Trudeau and I wanted to see someone do this with 12.5 millions :/ even in the end of a campain.

With the 24 millions collected with Mulcair (and some little attacks) I had 151 seats but I was the first. With Trudeau it seems almost impossible to reach the goal like Duceppe :/.

But despite this problem the creators have made an excellent game.

The strategy seems more concentrated on the targets.

I made my own test with Duceppe and Trudeau many times.

On one party with the BQ I successful and I don't know why to reach 24 seats, it seems that if we concentrate the cash on the NPD on 46/48 seats with a long fundraising on the last weeks (16 days in my party with one/two attacks on NPD) it's possible indeed with an Harper who attacks the NPD to reach 24 seats but with 5,4% (under the limit) but in my party as I said Harper had 153 seats and so Duceppe had the balance of power.

But if we do this again, Duceppe has 8-10 strongholds, in my last party Duceppe has a very poor result (4,4%) but 10 seats (like in the reality).

With Trudeau I tried too but I'm going to explain my strategy.

As Trudeau has only 12 millions of dollars I attacked on the 25 last days the NPD and the PCC on 90/102 seats who give the majority to the Liberals, and I signed a truce with the PCC on the 20 last days (but I attacked them just after 3:)).

And it seems that with this tactic Trudeau can become Prime Minister but in my party thanks to 2 seats in advance.

Trudeau 116 seats 29,5%.

Mulcair 114 seats 31,6%

Harper 105 seats 29,4%

Green 2 seats 5%

Duceppe 1 seat 4,2%

PS: In the last day I launched three attacks, one to support Trudeau, and two to attack both leaders in front of him.