270soft Forum

RI Democrat

I put together a Senate 2014 scenario using the 2012 engine and issues, with candidates and issue centers for all of this year's contested races. You can download it here if you're interested:

http://www.filedropper.com/ussenate2014

Democrats, Republicans, and Independents are all playable, with Greg Orman in KS and Larry Pressler in SD as the only Independent candidates. Angus King is counted as a Democrat in a seat that's not up for re-election, though it's easy enough to change that if you want to account for his occasional hedging - just find his seat in the percentages and political units files, and edit "democratic" to say "independent" instead. (Bernie Sanders is also counted as a Democrat, though I can't imagine he'd ever caucus with the GOP.) So far I haven't ended up with a result where there are 50 Republicans plus Orman and/or Pressler, so I'm not sure who the game will declare a "winner" if that happens.

Here's a screenshot. I'd be more than happy to hear feedback if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/FlyingSquirrel42/Senate2014Screenshot.png

Report:

Playing as Orman, I noticed he has the same surrogates as the Republicans do. (John Boehner, Mitch McConnell). I would also add Mitt Romney as a surrogate for the Republicans.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made the following edits and will post a link to the revised version soon:

• Angus King is now the sole crusader for the Independents
  • King is also counted as an incumbent Independent rather than an incumbent Democrat
  • The GOP's platform on Role of Government is now Right rather than Center-Right (I figured this was only fair since the Democrats' position on this issue is set at Left)

Incidentally, I actually played it once and got a result of 50 Democrats, 49 Republicans, and 1 Independent (King - Sanders is still counted as a Dem, and Orman and Pressler both lost), and Election Night simply ended without announcing a winner or a loser.