270soft Forum

Appel's Decorum Thoughts

As a representative of the left, I concur with a previous post from a member of the right that this board needs some measure of decorum so that we're not resorting to name-calling and personal attacks.

This may be a radical, and perhaps silly, idea, but I propose that we could treat the "Political" part of this forum like Question Period in the House of Commons.

For those who aren't familiar, let me explain...

All subjects could be presented as is provided that they follow the guidelines of:

- No name-calling

- No insulting

- No derogatory remarks

In each topic, we'd have to stay on subject or else start a new subject.

And if we want to comment on the post, we would refer our comment to an imaginary person such as "Mr. Speaker" or "Mr. Moderator".

I know it sounds silly, but if we weren't directly responding to one person, it would reduce the amounts of personal attacks. We would be allowed to name the person who weren't responding to, unlike they do in Parliament, but not directly speak to him.

For example,

"Mr. Speaker,

In reponse to what Appel4PM just posted regarding the episode involving Jack Layton in Parliament yesterday, I believe that Jack got what he deserved, because he was stating lies and the opposition had a right to yell."

Or something like that.

Another decorum idea that I propose in looking into, with Matty's consent, is possibly getting another moderator, so that Matty can focus on the PF forum and someone else can keep things sane down here.

As I stated before, I think it's best that we auto-regulate ourselves before someone else does. I suggest that we start with Appel's idea, while a new moderator is being chosen. After, we'll see.

Beside, to use Appel's idea would be a good practice to see how one feels in parliament, where such rules are used.

as i said beforen nobody should have to say mr. speaker

this isn't parliament this is an informal discussion forum and the point of the rules in parliament is so every person can be heard and people speak one at a time and both are not problems on the board

and as for matt i think he is doing a pretty good job if they wanna add another moderator thats all well and good but i think matt is getting the job done

I'm certainly not saying Matt isn't doing a good job. But the forums are growing in the number of persons etc. So to add another one should be a good idea. Matt himself, in the other thread on this topic, said that somethings (or at least that one) slipped by him.

as i said beforen nobody should have to say mr. speaker

this isn't parliament this is an informal discussion forum and the point of the rules in parliament is so every person can be heard and people speak one at a time and both are not problems on the board

and as for matt i think he is doing a pretty good job if they wanna add another moderator thats all well and good but i think matt is getting the job done

My thoughts exactly.