270soft Forum

Not sure if bug or I just suck, but...

terrellk

Playing P4E 2016 on the provided 2016 scenario I keep running into the same problem every time I run as a Republican: Everyone endorses Rubio, no matter what.

For instance, this last go around I was playing as Martinez. I won Iowa, New Hampshire, Florida, Nevada, Minnesota, Colorado, and Maine; I only lost South Carolina to Thune. Okay, so now I've been spending two weeks trying to get anyone to endorse me. Ain't happening. No one is even thinking about dropping out no matter how far into the negative I drive their momentum. I win Arizona, Jindal takes Michigan, I take Washington. Now, I've won all but two races, no one is even offering to drop out despite the fact that I am in first place in delegates and have a 3.5% lead nationally. Suddenly, two days before the 3/6 primaries, McDonnell, who I've been trying to coerce my way for a month, endorses Rubio, who is in a distant third. The next day Paul, who is tied with Rubio, endorses him as does Thune. Rubio proceeds to run the table the next day. Frustrating, but I've invested enough time that I'm willing to play on. I put my chips into getting Christie and Ryan to endorse me. Christie bites, but now RYAN is endorsing Rubio. Jindal follows a day later, and I have no hope of winning whatsoever.

So is this a common problem, other players? Is it bad AI or am I just that terrible a player?

If you are attacking them, they are quite obviously not going to want to endorse you. ;)

That is, I'm assuming that you are releasing attack ads against just about everyone, which will plummet your relations with those candidates, making them less willing to accept any offer on your part.

I played as Ryan in one game and all of the Democrats endorsed Cuomo. Maybe it's to do with the platform? I'm not sure other than that.

I believe the platform comes into play, along with relations with the candidate and the relative strength of the candidate in the polls.

If you are attacking them, they are quite obviously not going to want to endorse you. ;)

That is, I'm assuming that you are releasing attack ads against just about everyone, which will plummet your relations with those candidates, making them less willing to accept any offer on your part.

Right. Well that strategy developed from another game I played in which I ran Bush, stayed pretty well positive and still managed to lose to Rubio after all of the endorsements. I figured I had to drive them negative to force them out, which is what I did.

It's still a pretty new game to me, though, so maybe I need to play a few more to fruition and just see how it pans out.

• 1 month later...

Archived