270soft Forum

All-Star President

mahaadoxyz

Now that we've actually got our new sub-forum, thought I'd re-post this here. The original thread is here. The basic idea is that figures from throughout American political history are competing against each other in a timey-wimey Presidential election. Unlike some of my earlier attempts at the same sort of concept, people won't just be assigned to the party whose label they claimed in their own time, but rather reshuffled into ideologically coherent parties: the Democrats, the Republicans, the Populists, and the Whigs. For a full listing of my current candidates list, and some other details like issues and such, see the post from the P4E08 thread.

In light of last night's events, I feel entirely comfortable keeping George Romney in as the representative Romney rather than Mitt, and I'll boost Obama's standing within the Democratic primary a bit. Other than FDR and Kennedy, I'm not sure there are particularly many real liberals who I'd say are categorically ahead of Obama at this point.

Anyway, work on creating this scenario in earnest will commence once a scenario editor for P4E12 is released. I'm hopeful that there'll be an option for multiple different election victory conditions, beside just 'win an absolute majority of electoral votes,' because in a four-way race I'd really like to at least include a potential run-off.

i think you should make the other partys that aren't democrats or republicans strong too, maby not as the strong two big partys but also.

and why not add libertation with ron paul?

i mean, they was importent, maby not in elections but in the political map of USA.

Well yes, I'm planning on making the Whigs and the Populists only slightly weaker than the Democrats and Republicans. A roughly, say, 26/26/24/23 breakdown, with room left over for a few trace voters for other things.

I suppose I might consider adding Ron Paul in a little party of his own, with barely any support. Or I could include him as a Whig, since libertarianism fits pretty well into the "non-egalitarian, non-traditionalist" heading that I'm using to define that party.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I was having a conversation about how many of the recent First Ladies would've made better Presidents than their husbands. This got me thinking that one interesting source of some extra female candidates might be First Ladies; for instance, I think Eleanor Roosevelt would make a very interesting candidate. And, slightly more broadly, I think it might make particular sense for those groups that have had traditional trouble getting elected to prominent offices to be willing to include people who were notable not as officeholders but just as public figures. That's sort of the logic on which I've included MLK, obviously, and I figure that some more of those sorts might make sense.

Of course, that skews things in favor of the left-wing parties, or at least in having more people in them, since most of these figures from disadvantaged groups are left-wing, one way or another. So if anyone has any good ideas for non-politician conservatives, or populists, or whigs, they'd be much appreciated.

Recently I was having a conversation about how many of the recent First Ladies would've made better Presidents than their husbands. This got me thinking that one interesting source of some extra female candidates might be First Ladies; for instance, I think Eleanor Roosevelt would make a very interesting candidate. And, slightly more broadly, I think it might make particular sense for those groups that have had traditional trouble getting elected to prominent offices to be willing to include people who were notable not as officeholders but just as public figures. That's sort of the logic on which I've included MLK, obviously, and I figure that some more of those sorts might make sense.

Of course, that skews things in favor of the left-wing parties, or at least in having more people in them, since most of these figures from disadvantaged groups are left-wing, one way or another. So if anyone has any good ideas for non-politician conservatives, or populists, or whigs, they'd be much appreciated.

A good right-wing non-politician well known for his impact on America was Henry T. Ford, though I worry that his affiliation with Hitler (admittedly in a day before Hitler's worst evils surfaced) might make him controversial at best, but it's a thought.

Archived