270soft Forum

Release: Congress Forever 2012 v. 1.3.9

Alright, I believe I have said this before, but you need the candidate's positions to effect the race, not exclusively those of the party. For example, in 2010 in Colorado, Ken Buck is considered to have lost due to attacks on his Pro-Life position, which consisted on a total abortion ban; you can't do that if its only the Party's positions that you are fighting against, given they both try and tend towards the center. It also adversely effects Democratic candidates who are in the South, and Republican candidates in the North, given while the candidates themselves might be better tailored to their state/district than the party, their views in the game are solely those of the party. I am not sure how you would want to do this, but I think it should in some way be implemented.

Also, the fund-raising stats of Independents should be raised at least to the second or third tier I believe; I find that they are not able to properly fund themselves, which results in their campaigns withering late in the game as they try and compete with the better funded efforts of either Republicans or Democrats.

• Upvote 2

Hi Lahbas,

Thanks for this feedback. Yes, having positions based on local candidates would add to the realism, but it would also make it immensely more complex. 435 platforms to contend with in the House elections, for example. One way to get around this would be to have issue markers, like a local candidate might be -1 on a specific issue, say ... We'll see.

Feedback about Independents noted.

Alright, I believe I have said this before, but you need the candidate's positions to effect the race, not exclusively those of the party. For example, in 2010 in Colorado, Ken Buck is considered to have lost due to attacks on his Pro-Life position, which consisted on a total abortion ban; you can't do that if its only the Party's positions that you are fighting against, given they both try and tend towards the center. It also adversely effects Democratic candidates who are in the South, and Republican candidates in the North, given while the candidates themselves might be better tailored to their state/district than the party, their views in the game are solely those of the party. I am not sure how you would want to do this, but I think it should in some way be implemented.

Also, the fund-raising stats of Independents should be raised at least to the second or third tier I believe; I find that they are not able to properly fund themselves, which results in their campaigns withering late in the game as they try and compete with the better funded efforts of either Republicans or Democrats.

• Upvote 1
Thanks for this feedback. Yes, having positions based on local candidates would add to the realism, but it would also make it immensely more complex. 435 platforms to contend with in the House elections, for example. One way to get around this would be to have issue markers, like a local candidate might be -1 on a specific issue, say ... We'll see

Yes, that would do it, as long as it can work both ways; wouldn't want you to try and type up all those platforms anyway given the chaos that would cause.

• Upvote 1