270soft Forum

As I did not see a topic on bugs, I believed maybe it was not to be found. I started this, with best of intentions.

My current is resides in the PIP aspect to 1.24 of President Forever 2012. I have several potential endorsers at 95. I attempt to influence them over the 95 threshold, however, my pips go down, their influence remains the same. However, when I initially begin a new game, just for giggles, I attempted to influence Trump with Obama. In doing so, I raised him to 25 where I was unable to raise him anymore. When I removed my pips (i.e. attempting to cancel out my influence) he remained at 25 and I returned back to my original number of pips.

For disclosure, I experienced this bug both vanilla, and after I adjusted Obama's pips to varying levels (with justification in his holding office, he has more sway politically if reelected holding office as president than a newby). The bug did not seem to be affected, and I am only able to influence 1 endorser at a time and only up to 25, while not having an impact on those who are at the 95 mark needing pips to secure their endorsement.

If this is not a bug, and I am incompetent, please advise.

Thankyou.

Levi: that is, as they say, a feature not a bug, although you are by no means the only person to be confused by it. The game's deliberately set up such that, in order to budge an endorser from 95 to 100, you need to use CP's to influence them. I've found that if you've got good momentum you only need to use a CP twice per endorser to push them over the top.

I've noticed a few bugs of my own, though. Whenever you set up private polling in a state, the recap says that "results in Iowa will be updated every turn" or whatever, always saying "Iowa" no matter which state it is. Also, candidates who have dropped out of a primary do not disappear from the various lists of players. Finally, I was playing as Obama with no primary challenge and, after Newt won the Republican nomination and I started attacking him, I managed to open up an enormous lead on him. At times I got him down to the point where he was only winning Utah and Wyoming. But the funny thing was, my percentage barely budged. I was at about 52% before going on the attack, and never got my numbers up above around 54%. But I sent Newt spiralling down into the mid-20s, and the "undecideds" rose into the mid-20s as well. That's, uh, kind of weird. I don't know if it's deliberate or something, but it didn't make sense to me.

Levi: that is, as they say, a feature not a bug, although you are by no means the only person to be confused by it. The game's deliberately set up such that, in order to budge an endorser from 95 to 100, you need to use CP's to influence them. I've found that if you've got good momentum you only need to use a CP twice per endorser to push them over the top.

I've noticed a few bugs of my own, though. Whenever you set up private polling in a state, the recap says that "results in Iowa will be updated every turn" or whatever, always saying "Iowa" no matter which state it is. Also, candidates who have dropped out of a primary do not disappear from the various lists of players. Finally, I was playing as Obama with no primary challenge and, after Newt won the Republican nomination and I started attacking him, I managed to open up an enormous lead on him. At times I got him down to the point where he was only winning Utah and Wyoming. But the funny thing was, my percentage barely budged. I was at about 52% before going on the attack, and never got my numbers up above around 54%. But I sent Newt spiralling down into the mid-20s, and the "undecideds" rose into the mid-20s as well. That's, uh, kind of weird. I don't know if it's deliberate or something, but it didn't make sense to me.

I did the same, only for kicks, I ran general election of Obama/Biden v. Bachman/Ayotte. At General Election date, I was only at 47% in Utah, while Bachman was at 12%, with undecided 41%. After election, I picked up 30% of the undecided, given my advantage over Bachman was 77 to 23. I chalk that upto either a bug, or rather, people don't like their party's candidate and vote lesser of two evils at polls.

Hi Levi,

Thanks for this feedback. There was a PIPs endorsement bug that has been fixed in the latest (1.2.5) version, where PIPs weren't affecting endorsers after a certain point.

As I did not see a topic on bugs, I believed maybe it was not to be found. I started this, with best of intentions.

My current is resides in the PIP aspect to 1.24 of President Forever 2012. I have several potential endorsers at 95. I attempt to influence them over the 95 threshold, however, my pips go down, their influence remains the same. However, when I initially begin a new game, just for giggles, I attempted to influence Trump with Obama. In doing so, I raised him to 25 where I was unable to raise him anymore. When I removed my pips (i.e. attempting to cancel out my influence) he remained at 25 and I returned back to my original number of pips.

For disclosure, I experienced this bug both vanilla, and after I adjusted Obama's pips to varying levels (with justification in his holding office, he has more sway politically if reelected holding office as president than a newby). The bug did not seem to be affected, and I am only able to influence 1 endorser at a time and only up to 25, while not having an impact on those who are at the 95 mark needing pips to secure their endorsement.

If this is not a bug, and I am incompetent, please advise.

Thankyou.

Noted.

For the undecideds percentage, the game is set up so that it is very difficult to move voters across party lines before the general election officially starts (after the conventions).

This could also be due to voter conversion and positive-negative momentum. Did you have significant positive momentum to convert the undecided voters?

I did the same, only for kicks, I ran general election of Obama/Biden v. Bachman/Ayotte. At General Election date, I was only at 47% in Utah, while Bachman was at 12%, with undecided 41%. After election, I picked up 30% of the undecided, given my advantage over Bachman was 77 to 23. I chalk that upto either a bug, or rather, people don't like their party's candidate and vote lesser of two evils at polls.

This could also be due to voter conversion and positive-negative momentum. Did you have significant positive momentum to convert the undecided voters?

Well, I know I did. I was running ads all across the country, keeping myself equipped with 8, 9, or 10 CP's per turn, etc., but managed to pick up about two points out of 24% undecided around the conventions. Until, of course, election day, when the undecideds either didn't turn out or made up their minds pretty much proportionately to everyone else in their state.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having errors when calculating election results at the end of the game.

Certain states are showing as being won by the candidate with less votes. I notice it happening in Pennsylvania, Maine, Oregon, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon. I always play as a Republican and never add third party candidates - in my final map, it shows those states as red, however, the Democratic candidate received more votes in all of them. I've noticed this in a number of games played and it seems to only happen when a "traditional blue state" (by 2012 standards) goes Red.

Just wanted to report this because after putting in a good amount of time to a game, for it to end with a confusing result by giving me more electoral votes than my candidate should've garnered.

Hi, can you confirm you were playing a 2020 scenario?

In 2012 version 1.2.9 I get "Access violation at address 0055C09D in module 'p4e12.exe'. Read of address 000001D8 when scrolling down the Strategy screen (playing 2020 scenario). Once it let me click off the error and keep going, but then it stalled and I had to do a shutdown via task manager.

Thanks for this - noted.

I've been having errors when calculating election results at the end of the game.

Certain states are showing as being won by the candidate with less votes. I notice it happening in Pennsylvania, Maine, Oregon, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon. I always play as a Republican and never add third party candidates - in my final map, it shows those states as red, however, the Democratic candidate received more votes in all of them. I've noticed this in a number of games played and it seems to only happen when a "traditional blue state" (by 2012 standards) goes Red.

Just wanted to report this because after putting in a good amount of time to a game, for it to end with a confusing result by giving me more electoral votes than my candidate should've garnered.

Yeah, I got a crash on April 2, 1912 while playing as Underwood.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but ad costs in the scenario are negligible at the moment. A nationwide newspaper advert only runs $300 or so per day...which seems like an error.

Noted - I'll take a look at 1912 ad costs.

Yeah, I got a crash on April 2, 1912 while playing as Underwood.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but ad costs in the scenario are negligible at the moment. A nationwide newspaper advert only runs $300 or so per day...which seems like an error.

I am getting an unacceptable amount of crashes with this game. Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000

sometimes loading a saved game will let me get past the day where the game crashes, sometimes it doesnt.

And I cannot tell you how annoying and frustrating it is to spend so much time in a campaign to then have the thing unable to progress because of errors like this.

Well, I am not sure about the candidate thing, but it crashes when ever there is a primary. I have to continually save, and I was able to get around some of the earlier ones to progress my campaign now to the Louisiana GOP primary, and find my game now stuck there, as I cannot proceed without another address crash.

I have yet to get to a single general election as I always run into this issue that cripples the game.