270soft Forum

Washington gubernatorial and Senatorial 2012

Since I did a Washington gubernatorial 2008 and Senatorial 2010 (both of which are available in the official TheorySpark archives), I thought I'd take the next step and do a gubernatorial and Senatorial for this year. I have a good grasp of the candidates (including good off-by-default ones) from Wikipedia, but would like people to weigh in on issues and potential events, as well as possible endorsers outside newspapers, Congresspeople, Senators, State Senators, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated!

one issue could be gay marrage

Certainly an important one, especially for the gubernatorial election.

Here's what I have for candidates for the elections:

Gubernatorial

DEMOCRATIC

-Congressman Jay Inslee

-State Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown (OFF)

-King County Executive Dow Constantine (OFF)

-Incumbant Governor Christine Gregoire (OFF)

-State Treasurer Jim McIntire (OFF)

-Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon (OFF)

-Former King County Executive and Deputy Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ron Sims (OFF)

-State Auditor General Brian Sonntag (OFF)

REPUBLICAN

-Reverend Shahram Hadian

-State Attorney General Rob McKenna

-Port of Seattle Commission President Bill Bryant (OFF)

-Congressman Dave Reichert (OFF)

-Former State Senator Dino Rossi (OFF)

INDEPENDENT

-Mr. Dale Sorgen

Senatorial

DEMOCRATIC

-Incumbant Senator Maria Cantwell

-Mr. Timothy Wilson

-Mr. Mike the Mover (OFF)

REPUBLICAN

-State Senator Michael Baumgartner

-Dr. Art Coday

-Charles Simonyi Fund for the Arts and Sciences executive director Susan Hutchison (OFF)

-Mr. John Stanton (OFF)

-Former Deputy White House Press Secretary Scott Stanzel (OFF)

-Port of Seattle Commission President Bill Bryant (OFF)

-Mr. Clint Didier (OFF)

-Congressman Doc Hastings (OFF)

-Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler (OFF)

-Snohomish County Councilman John Koster (OFF)

-Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (OFF)

-Congressman Dave Reichert (OFF)

-Mr. Philip Yin (OFF)

-Former State Senator Dino Rossi (OFF)

Any thoughts on stats, notable planks, or additional off-by-default candidates?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back to this one for the time being. I agree with gay marriage being a definite issue. Possibly also dealing with the debris on it's way from Japan, at least as a gubernatorial one. Financial and jobs-related issues should also be big, as should unions, given the precedent of Wisconsin. Any other suggestions?

I don't know if Mike the Mover or any other Democratic challengers to Inslee or Cantwell have announced candidacy. If you know of such, please let me know. Also, anyone know about any Independent or Third Party challengers?

Back to this one for the time being. I agree with gay marriage being a definite issue. Possibly also dealing with the debris on it's way from Japan, at least as a gubernatorial one. Financial and jobs-related issues should also be big, as should unions, given the precedent of Wisconsin. Any other suggestions?

I don't know if Mike the Mover or any other Democratic challengers to Inslee or Cantwell have announced candidacy. If you know of such, please let me know. Also, anyone know about any Independent or Third Party challengers?

Anyone?

I've started active work on the gubernatorial scenario. I just need a few additional issues to replace some mostly germaine to 2008's election, such as Initiative 1000 and Pharmacy Discretion. Any ideas?

im still interested in this

Well, I've put Economy in place of one of those two issues. And I've considered Jobs in place of the other. I've also reworded Health Care to take the state's reaction to Obamacare into consideration. What do you think? And please have a look at the issues and stances in my 2008 gubernatorial scenario which is uploaded on the TheorySpark official site, if you haven't already, to see if there's any other issues and/or stances I should swap out, and for what.

Well, I've put Economy in place of one of those two issues. And I've considered Jobs in place of the other. I've also reworded Health Care to take the state's reaction to Obamacare into consideration. What do you think? And please have a look at the issues and stances in my 2008 gubernatorial scenario which is uploaded on the TheorySpark official site, if you haven't already, to see if there's any other issues and/or stances I should swap out, and for what.

Any thoughts on this?

• 3 weeks later...

Other than the candidates listed in the third post of this thread, and Mike the Mover and Dino Rossi, who have already been suggested, are there any prominent Washingtonians that anyone feels would be good off-by-default candidates?

• 2 months later...

I need some help from someone whose good at math to calculate primaries percentages. My source only has the percentage of each candidate, with all parties as well as indeepndents lumped together. I calculated the beginning percentages for each party in each county by adding up the candidates for each party. However, what formula do I use to calculate each candidate's percentage within their party? For instance, the Dems have a total of 26.5% support in Adams County (I know, that's a real Red one, but it's first in alphabetical order), while Jay Inslee has 23% of TOTAL support in the county. How do I calculate his support out of 100% among only Democratic supporters in that county? It's been a while since I've been in school. Any help would be appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm close to being done these two. I've made a few changes and trimmings to the lists of candidates, as a few more minor candidates threw their hats in the ring at the last minute, and Mike the Mover actually switched parties from Democratic to Republican. I hope to have finished products in the very near future.

Archived