270soft Forum

United States 1789, 1792, 1796, 1800, and 1804

Recently, though I haven't officially announced work on a specific project, I've been toying with a number of scenarios. Currently, I'm almost done a revision of my 1789 scenario and a 1792, 1796, 1800, and 1804 scenario; the first five elections in US history. It should be noted that in these five I've made one ahistorical conceit; I've treated all states as though they elect their electors. This makes the game move more smoothly, as well as makes it more competitive. Currently, I'm filling in endorsers, then all that'll be needed are events. Does anyone have any suggestions for events for these scenarios? I have a few already. I fully plan my goal of finishing every election between the Revolutionary and Civil Wars (1789-1864) in reasonable time. Currently, 1828, 1832, and 1848 are finished (though 1832 might need a wee bit of thinkering), and 1824, while finished, needs a bit of an overhaul (turning the four candidates into their own parties as opposed to all four as one party with jungle primaries and a pathetic Federalist paper candidate), and 1860 has an error upon starting the GE I need to get fixed.

BTW, admin, could you please add a 1792, 1796, and 1804 category to the P4E08 scenario archive?

• Upvote 2

Recently, though I haven't officially announced work on a specific project, I've been toying with a number of scenarios. Currently, I'm almost done a revision of my 1789 scenario and a 1792, 1796, 1800, and 1804 scenario; the first five elections in US history. It should be noted that in these five I've made one ahistorical conceit; I've treated all states as though they elect their electors. This makes the game move more smoothly, as well as makes it more competitive. Currently, I'm filling in endorsers, then all that'll be needed are events. Does anyone have any suggestions for events for these scenarios? I have a few already. I fully plan my goal of finishing every election between the Revolutionary and Civil Wars (1789-1864) in reasonable time. Currently, 1828, 1832, and 1848 are finished (though 1832 might need a wee bit of thinkering), and 1824, while finished, needs a bit of an overhaul (turning the four candidates into their own parties as opposed to all four as one party with jungle primaries and a pathetic Federalist paper candidate), and 1860 has an error upon starting the GE I need to get fixed.

BTW, admin, could you please add a 1792, 1796, and 1804 category to the P4E08 scenario archive?

No suggestions as to events? Any interest at all?

And admin, are you actually reading anything on this forum?

• Upvote 1

Well, the Quasi-War ended a month before the 1800 election, but they didn't find out about it until afterwards. Ooh, actually, that was a fairly common thing back in these old days, events news of which didn't break for weeks or months. In general the news cycle would've been slower. The Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis & Clark expedition that followed may not have produced any noticeable news right around the 1804 election. Stuff about the French Revolution would've been brewing throughout the '92 and '96 cycles, I'd reckon. Any of that help?

Well, the Quasi-War ended a month before the 1800 election, but they didn't find out about it until afterwards. Ooh, actually, that was a fairly common thing back in these old days, events news of which didn't break for weeks or months. In general the news cycle would've been slower. The Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis & Clark expedition that followed may not have produced any noticeable news right around the 1804 election. Stuff about the French Revolution would've been brewing throughout the '92 and '96 cycles, I'd reckon. Any of that help?

Those certainly do help. Thanks, greatly!

• Upvote 1

I have a question about the elections 1800 and prior. I'm assuming that, for example, in 1800, Jefferson is the Presidential candidate and Burr is the VP candidate for the Democratic-Republicans and that the Federalists have an Adams/Pinckney ticket. Am I correct about that since there's no way to simulate the actual pre-1804 method of electoral voting?

• Upvote 1

I have a question about the elections 1800 and prior. I'm assuming that, for example, in 1800, Jefferson is the Presidential candidate and Burr is the VP candidate for the Democratic-Republicans and that the Federalists have an Adams/Pinckney ticket. Am I correct about that since there's no way to simulate the actual pre-1804 method of electoral voting?

Actually, in 1796 and 1800, I have a "primary" of sorts representing everyone in each party who got electoral votes for either President or Vice President in that election, which amounts to a fair number of Federalists in 1796. But yes, that, like all states voting for their electors, is a conceit to make the game playable and interesting. 1789 and 1792 have a "President" and "Vice President" party and are only playable in the primaries, where Washington runs unopposed in the "President" party and the real goal is to win the Vice Presidency. 1804 just has Jefferson/Clinton vs. Pinckney/King in a GE-only race, as no one else was seriously considered. Unfortunately, there's no way I can have Adams win as president and Jefferson as VP in 1796.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...