270soft Forum

America Elects - 2016

So far what I'm finding is that the Democratic primaries at least are too erratic. The front runner in a state has yet to actually win that state. I think it may be that there are too many undecideds or something, because they all suddenly flock to one random candidate who wins that state.

Well, I also tried it, I have just managed to win the GOP nomination with Susana Martinez, and my momentum was -7 during the whole game, but for some reason I was getting more votes instead of losing them...

So far what I'm finding is that the Democratic primaries at least are too erratic. The front runner in a state has yet to actually win that state. I think it may be that there are too many undecideds or something, because they all suddenly flock to one random candidate who wins that state.

in some test runs i've noticed that but i have no idea what i could do to fix it. i will note that except for homestates most of the candidates have a majority of supporters who are not decided but are leaning. furthermore there are a lot of random events that shift issue focuses, that could be a reason.

Second run through produced slightly different results for me. The Democratic primaries tended to be more stable, while the GOP was highly erratic. Bush led, then Bachmann, then Bush again, then Pawlenty, and finally Jindal won only because he had more delegates than Bush or T-Paw.

just did a run through with the test party. i didn't think any of the primaries were erratic. I agree that Jindal has a tendency to come out from nowhere and get the nomination but his upset win in Iowa propelled him to gain momentum in time for NH, SC, and NV: all states he swept. he won the nomination with relative ease.

The Democrats weren't erratic, but they were definitely divided. Basically: every candidate was on rather equal footing which led to a divided convention.

The GOP nomination was decided very early on whereas the Democrats went to their convention. I think that is what gives the GOP a big bump for the GE. the bump wasn't a single turn though, it gradually built. i've played games where i win the primaries and the second after i hit "OK" for the GE acknowledgment the entire country goes Blue. This was not one of those cases. In the end Jindal got 55.9% of the votes and won 435 of the electoral votes. Schweitzer got 103 electoral votes and 44.1% of the popular vote.

what i plan to do... I'm going to restore the Universal Alienated % to 40 (i had it at 32). I don't think, however, that changing the electoral college numbers for the 2010 census would have had any effect so I'm leaving that how it is (with the 2012, 2016, and 2020 numbers). On top of that I'm adding a third party and i'll see if that changes anything. the game will be rereleased when this has been fixed.

what i plan to do... I'm going to restore the Universal Alienated % to 40 (i had it at 32). I don't think, however, that changing the electoral college numbers for the 2010 census would have had any effect so I'm leaving that how it is (with the 2012, 2016, and 2020 numbers). On top of that I'm adding a third party and i'll see if that changes anything. the game will be rereleased when this has been fixed.

If you add a third party or independent, I'd suggest adding Lincoln Chaffee as the independent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived