270soft Forum

Negative Reputation Spam

Has anyone noticed that someone is taking the time to painstakingly give every single post on at least the Canadian forum of late, regardless of content, a negative reputation. This is an annoying practice, and I'd like to see whoever is causing this mischief banned. Any comments?

• Upvote 4

Yes I have. I have given as many posts as I could a bump up in order to counter whoever is doing it.

I generally don't use the negative button on anyone. I use it when a comment is either an intentional slam of someone's personal integrity or capabilties, or a profane degrading comment.

I support the banning of whoever is doing it

Has anyone noticed that someone is taking the time to painstakingly give every single post on at least the Canadian forum of late, regardless of content, a negative reputation. This is an annoying practice, and I'd like to see whoever is causing this mischief banned. Any comments?

• Upvote 4

Yes I have. I have given as many posts as I could a bump up in order to counter whoever is doing it.

I generally don't use the negative button on anyone. I use it when a comment is either an intentional slam of someone's personal integrity or capabilties, or a profane degrading comment.

I support the banning of whoever is doing it

I agree.

• Upvote 3

Some people here do care about reputations. Whether or not you care is up to you. I think that most people on this forum however would agree that the negative button is reserved primarily for the following...

1.) Rhetorical Comments attacking someone else. We have all been guilty of this at one point or another.

2.) An obsene or profane statement

3.) A claim that mocks or critisizes the ability, skill, or knowledge of someone else.

The problem that Patine, ScottM, Elliot, any many others have with this negative scam is that someone is intentionally degrading our posts, especially in the Canadian forum. Degrading just for degrading is something that most of us have realized doesn't do much good.

Who cares? There are like 5 active users on this forum why does it matter if someone is negging you?

• Upvote 2

Some people here do care about reputations. Whether or not you care is up to you. I think that most people on this forum however would agree that the negative button is reserved primarily for the following...

1.) Rhetorical Comments attacking someone else. We have all been guilty of this at one point or another.

2.) An obsene or profane statement

3.) A claim that mocks or critisizes the ability, skill, or knowledge of someone else.

The problem that Patine, ScottM, Elliot, any many others have with this negative scam is that someone is intentionally degrading our posts, especially in the Canadian forum. Degrading just for degrading is something that most of us have realized doesn't do much good.

Again, there is absolutely no reason to care about it to the point of calling on someone to be banned. This forum is dead. There are usually less that 5 posts per day and thats only because we're in the middle of election season. I understand that people care but I don't understand why. Its such a trivial little thing I don't see the need for a thread and a jihad against whoever did it.

• Upvote 1

We aren't waging any form of Jihad on anyone. That was wholly inappropriate to associate us with a genocidal radical movement. I would like an apology, if you don't mind.

Just because there are five posts a day doesn't mean we can abuse it. 5 posts a day for a year is over 1,000 posts. And justice ignored is justice denied. It doesn't matter how many of us are on here, intentionally demoting people's posts for kicks is unacceptable.

Again, there is absolutely no reason to care about it to the point of calling on someone to be banned. This forum is dead. There are usually less that 5 posts per day and thats only because we're in the middle of election season. I understand that people care but I don't understand why. Its such a trivial little thing I don't see the need for a thread and a jihad against whoever did it.

• Upvote 3

lol you're acting like someone is stealing something from you. I didn't even know this forum had a reputation counter until this thread was started. This is kind of pathetic. Both that someone would take the time to actually neg a bunch of people, and that the people would care.

• Upvote 1

After our little war a while back, I rarely use it either.

If someone makes a post that is outright factually incorrect, or insulting, I'll give it a -1, sure. But if I just disagree with the post, I'll leave it alone.

Personally, I don't even like the idea of reputation to begin with. It isn't a measure of how helpful or abusive your posts are, just a measure of how many people agree/disagree with you. In a politics-oriented forum such as this, where there is a fairly clear partitioning of posters (conservative or liberal, right-wing or left-wing), something like reputation is probably, and evidently, a really bad idea.

• Upvote 3

If someone makes a post that is outright factually incorrect, or insulting, I'll give it a -1, sure. But if I just disagree with the post, I'll leave it alone.

Personally, I don't even like the idea of reputation to begin with. It isn't a measure of how helpful or abusive your posts are, just a measure of how many people agree/disagree with you. In a politics-oriented forum such as this, where there is a fairly clear partitioning of posters (conservative or liberal, right-wing or left-wing), something like reputation is probably, and evidently, a really bad idea.

Very true. I generally stay out of political discussions/debates on here because from past personal experiences on other forums I know that such discussions online do have a bad tendency to get ugly. That said, I agree with you completely. A reputation system on a forum like this may not be the greatest idea, but since it's here I think the fact that there are several of us that don't want to see our reputations dragged down shouldn't just be dismissed.

I actually try not to be abusive of the plus or minus buttons. If i find a post helpful I'll plus it, or again, if it's derogatory, or intentionally inflammatory, etc., I'll minus it.

Truth be told, if the whole thing can be stopped without a ban, I'm fine with that. That would probably even be preferable. To me this forum is a place to come for fun because I love these games, and I think it's awesome that there are other people here who love that kind of thing as much as I do. Personally, I'd like for this to just be a fun place to come to and talk about the games, design scenarios, and discuss our results. Let's keep it that way!

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitly. The reputation thing has gotten out of hand. It has really taken a downturn.

It is also sad to see great scenario creators get hacked by someone with nothing else to do but use the button negatively.

270_admin... I'd advise abolishing the reputation button if possible. It has created a scam of enormous proportions in this forum where people hack other people who have to bump themselves back up just to get back. It has become a war within the forum which is getting ridiculous. If you can't abolish the reputation button for software reasons, at least reprimand or kick out whoever is intentionally slamming participants in the Canadian forums etc for NO REASON.

• Upvote 3