270soft Forum

Constitutional Amendments

Amending the Sacred and Living Document  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to, which Constitutional Amendments would you ratify?

• Term Limits for Congress
    • Line-Item Veto
    • Healthcare a Right
    • Victims Rights Amendment
    • Balanced Budget Amendment
    • Elected Supreme Court Justices
    • Repeal of Income Tax
    • Gun Control (Repeal 2nd Amendment)
    • Internet Rights (note: Finland recently claimed that Internet is a basic human right)
    • Expansion of the US House of Representatives
    • Expansion of US Senate
    • Legalize State Currencies
    • Gay Marriage Legalization
    • Banning Corporate Money Donations in Campaigns

I personally want to see a balanced budget amendment passed. It would require a balanced budget (duh), yet would not mandate whether or not it be balanced by a tax hike or spending cuts.

I also want to see a Victims Right Amendment passed. It would provide the right of privacy to victims of crimes like rape. It would also give the victims notification of the release or escape of the defendent.

I also would like to see a line-item veto. It worked when Clinton was in power at cutting pork, but it was struck down by the Courts. Now, we have to pass it as a Constitutional Amendment.

• Upvote 4

None. A constitution is supposed to outline the key, core, non-negotiable values that governments can't be trusted to mess with. Things like freedom of speech, press, trial by jury, etc. I see none of those on that list. While there are some of them I'd like to see implemented as legislation, none of them belong in the constitution. The only one I could see an argument for is line-item veto, because its a good idea, and there really isn't a way to get it implemented other than an amendment. And it affects the way the nation is governed, which is something constitutions should try to incorporate.

Thomas Jefferson repeatedly said throughout his lifetime that the Constitution may need to be changed overtime. I agree. Why?

-Because when it was first drafted, slavery was legal. We needed to amend it several times to solve the issue.

-Women didn't have the right to vote

-We weren't able to collect any income tax which hampered tax collecting

There are many other examples. The Constitution always needs reform. Even if our Constitution is the best, why not make it better? Even if I get a 3.9 GPA, why not try for a 4.0? Even if I make $50,000 a year, why not try harder to make $75,000? Improvement should always be welcome.

Also, what do you mean by "freedom of speech, press, trial by jury, etc. I see none of those on that list."?

None. A constitution is supposed to outline the key, core, non-negotiable values that governments can't be trusted to mess with. Things like freedom of speech, press, trial by jury, etc. I see none of those on that list. While there are some of them I'd like to see implemented as legislation, none of them belong in the constitution. The only one I could see an argument for is line-item veto, because its a good idea, and there really isn't a way to get it implemented other than an amendment. And it affects the way the nation is governed, which is something constitutions should try to incorporate.

• Upvote 4

Non-negotiable values should be defended by the government not kept from the government. Also, the Constitution was put into place to not only provide the Bill of Rights but to allow us to...

1.) Defend ourselves from Foreign Threats

2.) Support our Financial System when needed.

3.) Enable the common welfare.

4.) To collect taxes.

Non of these are by definiton a core or moral value, but they are duties given to the government. The Constitution is also a method by which we reform ourselves and keep unmoral politicians in check. Slavery was stopped how? The Constitution. Civil Rights were acknowledged how? The Constitution. The Constitution is the backbone of our governmentand our prosperity.

• Upvote 4

Amendments I'd propose:

1.) A balanced budget amendment

2.) Line-Item Veto

3.) Victims Rights Amendment

4.) Banning Corporate and Union donations to Campaigns

5.) Internet Rights (with a few minor exceptions... I'd probably allow parents to regulate how much internet time their kids use)

6.) I'd also ban Congressman and Senators from fundraising while Congress is in session.

7.) And (of course) term limits for Congress!!!

• Upvote 3

Thomas Jefferson repeatedly said throughout his lifetime that the Constitution may need to be changed overtime. I agree. Why?

-Because when it was first drafted, slavery was legal. We needed to amend it several times to solve the issue.

-Women didn't have the right to vote

-We weren't able to collect any income tax which hampered tax collecting

There are many other examples. The Constitution always needs reform. Even if our Constitution is the best, why not make it better? Even if I get a 3.9 GPA, why not try for a 4.0? Even if I make $50,000 a year, why not try harder to make $75,000? Improvement should always be welcome.

Also, what do you mean by "freedom of speech, press, trial by jury, etc. I see none of those on that list."?

Of course the Constitution needs amendment over time. I'm not denying that it would be silly. And of course the things you mentioned in the above post should be in the constitution because they are core values that most of us consider non-negotiable. I see nothing on the list in the poll that fits that description. You have to be careful in adding things to the constitution because repealing it is difficult. You need to make damn sure its something that is crucial to the survival and prosperity of the nation. Some of those things I would support through legislation, but nothing on the list is important enough, or there isn't enough of a consensus for them to be added to the Constitution.

If that's your opinion, then fine. Most of those items can't be passed UNLESS its a constitutional amendment. <_< I think that there are alot of things that the old sacred document needs more of... I think most people here agree with me on that...

Of course the Constitution needs amendment over time. I'm not denying that it would be silly. And of course the things you mentioned in the above post should be in the constitution because they are core values that most of us consider non-negotiable. I see nothing on the list in the poll that fits that description. You have to be careful in adding things to the constitution because repealing it is difficult. You need to make @#!*% sure its something that is crucial to the survival and prosperity of the nation. Some of those things I would support through legislation, but nothing on the list is important enough, or there isn't enough of a consensus for them to be added to the Constitution.

• Upvote 2

Of all the things on that list there are 3-5 I actually like in terms of policy. None of them are important or "sacred" enough to be apart of the Constitution with the exception of line item veto and MAYBE victims rights.

Banning Corperate money is important enough to add to the Constitution, it is the only way to overturn Citizens United.

• Upvote 3

Some of these ideas, like overturning Citizens United or making gay marriage a federal right, would result simply from a proper jurisprudence. If the many of us who feel that Citizens United was wrongly decided get to replace one of the majority Justices from that case before they get to replace one of ours, that case will be overturned. I think the Supreme Court might declare gay marriage a part of the Fourteenth Amendment fairly soon. I've never been a fan of the Second Amendment myself. Economic rights, like health-care or internet access, are very hard to constitutionalize in any successful way. All the others are bad policy; term limits for Congress and a balanced budget amendment especially so.

And, uh, what is a Victim's Rights Amendment, exactly?

• Upvote 1

A Victim's Rights Amendment would grant the Victim of a crime these basic rights...

1.) Right to privacy during a proceeding (it would be especially helpful to rape victims who prefer to remain ambigous)

2.) Right to knowledge of the defendents escape or release from custody or prison

3.) Access to all procedures of the hearing allowed, yet not mandatory.

Senators Jon Kyl and Dianne Feinstein proposed one in the 1990s.

Some of these ideas, like overturning Citizens United or making gay marriage a federal right, would result simply from a proper jurisprudence. If the many of us who feel that Citizens United was wrongly decided get to replace one of the majority Justices from that case before they get to replace one of ours, that case will be overturned. I think the Supreme Court might declare gay marriage a part of the Fourteenth Amendment fairly soon. I've never been a fan of the Second Amendment myself. Economic rights, like health-care or internet access, are very hard to constitutionalize in any successful way. All the others are bad policy; term limits for Congress and a balanced budget amendment especially so.

And, uh, what is a Victim's Rights Amendment, exactly?

• Upvote 2

If the Constitution should have only sacred rights, then according to your logic... we should repeal...

1.) Presidential Term Limits

2.) Income Tax

3.) The Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Branches

4.) And on and on and on

The Executive Branch isn't itself a sacred right. The Judicial Branch isn't itself a sacred right. And the Legislative branch CERTAINLY is not a sacred right. Is it a sacred right to collect income tax? Is it a sacred right to enforce term limits on the President?

No.

But in order to create common fairness and equality, we constructed the constitution so it would be able to define and defend rights. The defender isn't the right and the right isn't its own defender. Both work together as the Constitution.

Of all the things on that list there are 3-5 I actually like in terms of policy. None of them are important or "sacred" enough to be apart of the Constitution with the exception of line item veto and MAYBE victims rights.

• Upvote 2

If the Constitution should have only sacred rights, then according to your logic... we should repeal...

1.) Presidential Term Limits

2.) Income Tax

3.) The Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Branches

4.) And on and on and on

The Executive Branch isn't itself a sacred right. The Judicial Branch isn't itself a sacred right. And the Legislative branch CERTAINLY is not a sacred right. Is it a sacred right to collect income tax? Is it a sacred right to enforce term limits on the President?

No.

But in order to create common fairness and equality, we constructed the constitution so it would be able to define and defend rights. The defender isn't the right and the right isn't its own defender. Both work together as the Constitution.

Maybe sacred wasn't the best term but what I'm talking about is things that affect how the nation is governed, and other things that are absolutely crucial to the well being of the nations. Things that congress or the president can't be trusted to mess with.

Your own logic works against you. If you are so afraid of the government impeding on our rights then why wouldn't you put up more barriers for the government? A Victims Rights Amendment would prevent the government from publicly humiliating rape victims. A balanced budget amendment would prevent the government from spending more than we have.

Maybe sacred wasn't the best term but what I'm talking about is things that affect how the nation is governed, and other things that are absolutely crucial to the well being of the nations. Things that congress or the president can't be trusted to mess with.

• Upvote 3