270soft Forum

P4E8 2012 Scenario Beta released

Ok, thanks for the feedback!

Just two add two more cents, I've just space-barred ac couple of times through the latest version (version 3 I believe.) Both times I played as Herman Cain and the Constitution candidate (since he has essentially no impact on the election). I made Herman Cain drop out and endorse Newt Gingrich during the first week of December (this solves the earlier problem someone mentioned about how Newt Gingrich struggles in the primaries if you play him simply based off polling numbers from early October - the start of the game). Newt fairly easily coasted to the primary with only nominal opposition from Mitt at that point. Obama was unopposed in the primaries, and after a seemingly close election, Obama won with 52% to Gingrich's 46% (an entirely possible result).

I'd say that, at least for now, the game seems to be relatively trouble free from my perspective.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the candidates I'd add and remove... GOP Remove: Buddy Roemer Add: Donald Trump Paul Ryan Mike Huckabee Bobby Jindal David Petraeus Ignore: Thad McCotter Democrats Remove: None

Agreed. Clinton should be higher... Feingold should be winning blue collar states like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan. Sanders and Dean should be duking it out in Vermont. Clinton should be winning Ne

Can we see some more Democratic candidates? I mean, Hillary is nice, but I want to see more candidates... -Russ Feingold -Howard Dean -Bernie Sanders -Mike Gravel

Could we see Darcy Richardson and Randall Terry added to the Democratic primaries?

Both are super-extreme longshots. But they'd be fun to play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_candidates,_2012#Challengers

We have Clinton who definitely isn't running. Why can't we have a couple of people who actually are running? This could probably solve the problem of needing to make Obama weaker because all he does is spend his time fundraising during the Republican primaries.

And can we please please please have Stephen Colbert as a Republican candidate or an independent? That would be so much fun. Too much fun. That much fun isn't healthy.

• Upvote 1

I agree that we should have more people who are running, but Randall Terry and Richardson would just dumb it down.

I think Stephen Colbert as an Independent would be cool though. How about Lou Dobbs?

We have Clinton who definitely isn't running. Why can't we have a couple of people who actually are running? This could probably solve the problem of needing to make Obama weaker because all he does is spend his time fundraising during the Republican primaries.

And can we please please please have Stephen Colbert as a Republican candidate or an independent? That would be so much fun. Too much fun. That much fun isn't healthy.

• Upvote 1

I honestly think the GOP is too strong in this scenario. I am a Republican and I'm all for the map turning a deep red 2012, but the polls now just as well as in October put the race in a dead heat or give Obama a slight lead. I really don't believe that California and Illinois should be swing states, even in the very beginning where there's no decisiveness.

• Upvote 1

I honestly think the GOP is too strong in this scenario. I am a Republican and I'm all for the map turning a deep red 2012, but the polls now just as well as in October put the race in a dead heat or give Obama a slight lead. I really don't believe that California and Illinois should be swing states, even in the very beginning where there's no decisiveness.

Agreed. The map is a lot more red than any polls at any time this year have ever suggested it would be.

Since Romney was the de facto nominee a few months back, the map itself should probably reflect what the Romney vs. Obama polls were like at that time.

• Upvote 1

Maybe not Randall Terry then, because he's only on in three states.

Darcy Richardson appears to have filed in all 5 which have had deadlines so far as... and he's raising some half-way decent money to do it I guess.

http://www.darcy2012.com

I just like the idea of having the "real" underdogs. I used to play the 2004 scenario as Chaffee all the time, just trying to win some delegates. :)

• Upvote 1

The events, maybe... but the candidates should definitely be updated as we go.

Giving Obama an accurate token challenger (Richardson) and the LP nomination to Gary Johnson would enhance the scenario's realism.

The 1992 scenario wouldn't be any fun if it didn't include Ross Perot, simply because he didn't get into the race by October of 1991.

Giving Obama an accurate token challenger (Richardson) and the LP nomination to Gary Johnson would enhance the scenario's realism.

The 1992 scenario wouldn't be any fun if it didn't include Ross Perot, simply because he didn't get into the race by October of 1991.

I think any candidates that do jump in should be added. But poll numbers, money totals, candidate strength, etc., should all be set as it was in October.

• Upvote 1

Richardson is currently under grand jury investigation, so I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, it'd be great to see more Democrats for the possible Obama primary in the official scenario. Russ Feingold and Howard Dean would be good challengers from the left-wing disappointed with Obama. It'd also be nice to see someone coming at Obama from the right, someone like Senator Mark Warner who's really discontent with Washington. Gravel could fill that role, but he was a total flop in 2008 and is likely gone-for-good in politics after such a poor showing.

I've updated this scenario, starting it the day before the Iowa caucuses, dropping Cain and Bachmann while updating Iowa's numbers and the polling in South Carolina and New Hampshire. I've posted more details in the scenario board, shoot me a message there if you'd like to try it out.

Even though I don't feel they have a solid chance at actually winning in a general election, I think it would be nice to see more thought and options available for the Libertarian Party. They are the third largest political party in the country and with all the attention Ron Paul is getting, it might be nice to have them in a more complete setup. They even had their own party presidential debates this year. They weren't nationally televised but they did hold them.

Also, and this is more for a 2012 Wonk edition, but it might be cool to have some more alternative Candidates for the Democratic Party. I've heard some noise about people wanting Russ Feingold to mount a candidacy. It also might be interesting to add in Evan Bayh again. It wasn't that long ago I remember people talking presidential about him and how he might take the Democratic Party in a more centrist direction.

And I feel like they aren't enough random events that affect the incumbent party. The scandals surrounding Solyndra, the bailouts, and other things of that nature should be in here.