270soft Forum

President Forever 2008 tips?

Hello everyone. :) this game is truly a very fun game, but it is a little difficult for me. First of all do you guys know how a candidate can become more well known? i noticed that my candidate doesnt show up very often on newpapers as others. second of all the primaries are fairly easy but the general election is tough. Any tips? thanks in advance :D

edit: oh and can somebody tell me how to create my own scenarios?

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone. :) this game is truly a very fun game, but it is a little difficult for me. First of all do you guys know how a candidate can become more well known? i noticed that my candidate doesnt show up very often on newpapers as others. second of all the primaries are fairly easy but the general election is tough. Any tips? thanks in advance :D

edit: oh and can somebody tell me how to create my own scenarios?

Hey there MB!

Here are some tips...

1. Keep a close eye on your momentum. You should always have at least 3 momentum points between your closest rival. I won the 2000 election as Ralph Nader mostly because I built up a 24 point momentum heading into the final week of the 2000 campaign. If you have low momentum, then you want to run all-positive ads and give positive speeches. If you have high momentum, then you can start doing some negative ads. But savagely attacking the opponent doesn't work super well, unless you are attacking a guy like John Edwards for integrity or Obama for experience.

2. Always have at least one guy spying on your opponents before a debate. Your candidate prepares much better if there is a spy. I have run as Bill Clinton in 1992 and lost the debates to Bush I because I didn't know enough about my opponent.

3. Don't prepare for debates a week before the debate. Set aside one day a week for debate or issue familarity. In primary campaigns, I always start out doing an entire week of debate prep and issue familarity so I will clobber in the debates and interviews.

4. Never spend so much you have to stop your ads. Advertisements are crucial. But your money is even more. My minimum amount of cash is 9,000,000.

5. When picking your veep, pick the option with the best attributes. Unless, their home bonus is 15+, then stick to skills

6. ALWAYS SPIN STORIES!!!! HUGE MOMENTUM SWINGER!!!!!

7. Research constantly

8. Wait a 2-3 turns before making a bid for an endorsement.

9. Don't run your best crusader at the beginning. Run him during the final 3 weeks.

10. Always campaign in an eastern state on Election day. I noticed a trend... if undecideds in the east favor one candidate, then the rest of the undecideds will tag along.

Campaigns forever iswhere you can make scenarios! Available on the 270 Soft website...

Hope this helps! :D

PollWonk, I added your tips to the Tutorial comments ( http://theoryspark.com/help/political_games/president_forever/welcome-to-president-forever-2008-primaries/tutorial ) because of their quality. They all seem right to me, except IIRC 10. isn't quite right and I interpolated a comment there about why. Good tips!

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com - TheorySpark

Where gaming gets political!

• 1 month later...

I can't guarantee that this will work for others since it really depends on the scenarios and the candidates. However, this is the strategy I generally stick to.

Primaries:

As a front-runner -

Iowa and NH isn't always the key. You can lose both and still win, especially if two different people win them. If you're in first place in both, focus on them to try to win them. If you're behind in them, don't bother. The other candidates are going to attack you big and it's not worth the trouble. You should have a large amount of cash. Focus on fundraising and creating TV ad's. Ideally, you should have at least 3-4 TV ads. Make them all positive. Focus on your big issues. Try and focus an ad on your leadership. Ideally, you should have your leadership as one of your themes.

After Iowa and NH, begin running your nationwide ad's. Run them in every single state with the exception of the states that have already voted. You're going to create the firewall that stops whoever has the momentum dead in their tracks. It doesn't matter if they have momentum, you should have more. If you are too concerned about momentum, pick a couple people at the start of the game that you think could take Iowa and NH and research some scandals on them. Unleah them in coordination with your nation-wide ad's.

As the ad's start running... they will bring massive momentum which leads to massive fundraising. Continue running the ad's as long as your budget will allow you.

As all of this is going down, start focusing on getting endorsements. Use your PIP's! The earlier you can get the endorsements, the earlier their support should go to you which will lead to winning more states and of course more momentum. If you are trying to get an endorsement of a candidate and they have good support (10% nationwide or higher) consider trying to offer enough PIP's to get the percentage chance of endorsement up to 20% or higher unless it takes up all your PIP's. Try not to spend more than 70% of your PIP's on a candidate.

The chain reaction of the nationwide ads, the momentum, the extra money, the states you win, and the endorsements should lead to an easy nomination.

As an underdog -

The chance of success with this strategy depends a lot on who you are and where you start polling of course. However, this strategy is probably your best bet...

To start, Iowa and NH are going to be key. You have got to win one or the other. A loss in Iowa will probably lead to a loss in NH. So focus about 70% on Iowa and 30% on NH. Foot soldiers are VERY important. Create them in both Iowa and NH at every single turn. To me, foot soldiers are stronger than ad's, so don't start off with any ad's. Create a TV ad, but don't run it.

For the first few weeks, focus on trying to get one of the leading nationwide endorsements. Focus on one with momentum. You should hopefully be able to do this while creating foot soldiers in Iowa and NH. Try and barnstorm or do a policy speech at least once or twice a turn in one of the two states. Do this even if it starts to affect your energy.

You should hopefully have at least 2 million or so in your bank. As soon as you get 5 million, run the nationwide ad. This should get you a bit of momentum and a small increase in the polls nationwide. This can be important later when trying to win those states. You can keep the nationwide ad running even though it won't run so that when you have enough money, it will automatically run again.

As you get near the Iowa Caucus, ramp up your barnstorming and policy speeches. Be careful on your energy though. Don't get too tired. Foot soldiers, barnstorm, policy speeches. Focus on those three in the first two states. A week before Iowa, take a look at the momentum. Make sure you have some good momentum. The leading candidates should either have negative momentum or very little positive momentum. If any of them have momentum near yours, do some negative policy speeches against them. If you stand out in terms of momentum, do positive policy speeches.

Now that Iowa has passed, you probably have one week to do anything in NH if that. Take a look at momentum and do the same thing that you did in Iowa with NH and the policy speeches. If you have a few days before NH, do 2 or 3 policy speeches.

At this point, you've hopefully won Iowa or NH. The momentum should also start helping with polling in the other states. Hopefully your nationwide ad's continue to run every 3-4 weeks with the increased fundraising. Focus on the next couple states and creating foot soldiers. You focused so much on Iowa and NH and your momentum is still taking effect, so you might not win the next few states. That's okay. Just let your ad's do their work. Ideally, you may want to start researching scandals on the front-runner. Unleash them as soon as they are discovered. Start looking towards endorsements to get with the little PIP's you have left. Try to get endorsements from anyone with 5% chance of endorsement or higher. If you are limited on what you can do, focus on whoever has the highest endorsement chances.

You should now be getting into the middle of the primary season. You are hopefully winning a lot of states with your TV ad's. As you come upon each state, try to create foot soldiers when you can. Continue running your positive ad's. Don't use research any scandals except for those of the front-runner. This should keep your relations high with the other candidates. Focus a lot on endorsements. Offer as many as you possibly can.

From there, the states that you win should lead to more money which leads to more ad's. If you can't run an ad any more times, create a new identical ad and continue running it. As the ad's continue and you receive the endorsements, you should hopefully lock up the nomination. By focusing only on the front-runner with your scandals, you should hopefully pick up some good endorsements.

General Election:

My strategy here is basically the same no matter what the polling looks like. This works best when you've done the primaries. If you've done the primaries, once it looks like you have the nomination (like in April-May). Begin focusing on how well established your campaign is, and your issue and debate skills. Try and get them as high as possible but to me how well established your campaign is, is more important. Also... try to raise as much money as you can and develop scandals on the other party's nominee. If you don't know the nominee yet, make your best guess. Don't run any more ad's until the general election starts. Just start saving up. Create either 4 or 8 ads. Half of the ads will be positive, half negative.

As soon as the general election starts after the conventions, run all of your ad's nationally. You can wait till the following monday, but then run the ads and release your scandals. Running your ad's in every state will really give you more options on how to win down the road. In addition, you should pick up some extra money from fundraising if you chose not to take public financing. With your ad's scheduled to run 5 days, you should hopefully have a devastating week on your opponent. With the general election just starting, your week should be enough to pick up a HUGE amount of endorsements. Your momentum will soar and any momentum your opponent has should collapse. If you don't have enough money, stop the ad's when you are down to 15 million. However, you hopefully have enough money to run the ad's for the full 5 days. If you can't run them the full 5 days at 8 ads (usually that'd be $200 million to run them), then do the 4 ads.

The week after your huge week, you should have gotten a jump in the polls. Even a modest 3-4 jump in the polls turns a potential tie into a 3-8 point lead depending on how many of your new supporters were supporters the other candidate lost or were undecided.

For the rest of the election up until a week before it, focus on your issues and debates. Even if you don't win the debates, try not to get blown out. Also, create spies in your opponents campaign and use any low scandals as soon as possible. Save the medium and high scandals. Create 4 TV ad's. Two positive, two negative. Also spin the news as much as possible. Try to limit any momentum the other candidate gets and any negative coverage you get.

With the final week, run all 4 ads in any states that you are -15% - +5%. Unleash the scandals in the final 3 days one day at a time. Calculate how many days you can run all 4 ads in the states you want. Start the ad's that many days before the election so they run up until the night of the election.

Enjoy your election night. :D

Hey there MB!

Here are some tips...

1. Keep a close eye on your momentum. You should always have at least 3 momentum points between your closest rival. I won the 2000 election as Ralph Nader mostly because I built up a 24 point momentum heading into the final week of the 2000 campaign. If you have low momentum, then you want to run all-positive ads and give positive speeches. If you have high momentum, then you can start doing some negative ads. But savagely attacking the opponent doesn't work super well, unless you are attacking a guy like John Edwards for integrity or Obama for experience.

2. Always have at least one guy spying on your opponents before a debate. Your candidate prepares much better if there is a spy. I have run as Bill Clinton in 1992 and lost the debates to Bush I because I didn't know enough about my opponent.

3. Don't prepare for debates a week before the debate. Set aside one day a week for debate or issue familarity. In primary campaigns, I always start out doing an entire week of debate prep and issue familarity so I will clobber in the debates and interviews.

4. Never spend so much you have to stop your ads. Advertisements are crucial. But your money is even more. My minimum amount of cash is 9,000,000.

5. When picking your veep, pick the option with the best attributes. Unless, their home bonus is 15+, then stick to skills

6. ALWAYS SPIN STORIES!!!! HUGE MOMENTUM SWINGER!!!!!

7. Research constantly

8. Wait a 2-3 turns before making a bid for an endorsement.

9. Don't run your best crusader at the beginning. Run him during the final 3 weeks.

10. Always campaign in an eastern state on Election day. I noticed a trend... if undecideds in the east favor one candidate, then the rest of the undecideds will tag along.

Campaigns forever iswhere you can make scenarios! Available on the 270 Soft website...

Hope this helps! :D

1. Keep Debate Skills and Issue Familiarity up

2. Run ads constantly focused on the strongest of the Leadership, Integrity, or experience

3. Spin the News

4. Focus on Ground Troops

5. Never run negative ads

6. Pick a strong Veep base on attributes.

7. Create the Crusaders that don’t cost PIP first and early on

8. Get those endorsers!

9. Theme on Leadership, Integrity, and experience

10. Do Private Polling

11. Never take public financing

1. Keep Debate Skills and Issue Familiarity up

2. Run ads constantly focused on the strongest of the Leadership, Integrity, or experience

3. Spin the News

4. Focus on Ground Troops

5. Never run negative ads

6. Pick a strong Veep base on attributes.

7. Create the Crusaders that don’t cost PIP first and early on

8. Get those endorsers!

9. Theme on Leadership, Integrity, and experience

10. Do Private Polling

11. Never take public financing

Thanks for the great tips! but what is public financing?