270soft Forum

Texas Gubernatorial - 2006

Started working on this including Data Entry for the various candidates and parties. However I am unsure as to what issues should be given priority or even what they should be given I have almost no experience creating Gubernatorial Scenarios. So what issues should be listed here?

Started working on this including Data Entry for the various candidates and parties. However I am unsure as to what issues should be given priority or even what they should be given I have almost no experience creating Gubernatorial Scenarios. So what issues should be listed here?

From what I can gather, Chris Bell, the Democratic candidate, made a big deal about ethics reform and education. Also, the mid-decade redistricitng of Congressional seats was also of import to him, as he called it gerrymandering. Perry had a general social and fiscal conservative platform, with issues including abortion, education, state budget, taxation, right to work, and other such things. BTW, you MUST include the two main independents, Carole Keeton Strayhorn and Kinky Friedman, as each got far too many votes to just be ignored. Strayhorn appealed to moderate Republicans and independents, whereas Friedman seemed to target the rural grassroots. Bell hoped to divide the right-wing vote three ways between Perry and the two independents and come out with a plurality victory.

• Upvote 1

From what I can gather, Chris Bell, the Democratic candidate, made a big deal about ethics reform and education. Also, the mid-decade redistricitng of Congressional seats was also of import to him, as he called it gerrymandering. Perry had a general social and fiscal conservative platform, with issues including abortion, education, state budget, taxation, right to work, and other such things. BTW, you MUST include the two main independents, Carole Keeton Strayhorn and Kinky Friedman, as each got far too many votes to just be ignored. Strayhorn appealed to moderate Republicans and independents, whereas Friedman seemed to target the rural grassroots. Bell hoped to divide the right-wing vote three ways between Perry and the two independents and come out with a plurality victory.

O don't worry I am including them; that is the major reason I choose to do this scenario. The another scenario I thought about working on was the 1970 New York Senate Election, which I may in the end do first simply because it is simpler with fewer counties, and I am still unsure how to apportion the electoral votes (I was going to use the Wyoming Rule, but one of the counties had only 90 voters so............)

You might want to include Kay Bailey Hutchison as an off-by-default candidate in the Republican primary, and even Strayhorn, too, with a house rule that if she is, she can't also be an independent (obviously). Otherwise, it's just four very anemic opponents to Perry. There isn't mentioned at all a list of candidates for a Democratic primary, so I'm assuming Bell went unopposed. Of course, Strayhorn and Friedman don't have formal parties and thus no primaries. Mind you, given this all, you might just want to start in the GE...

• Upvote 1

You might want to include Kay Bailey Hutchison as an off-by-default candidate in the Republican primary, and even Strayhorn, too, with a house rule that if she is, she can't also be an independent (obviously). Otherwise, it's just four very anemic opponents to Perry. There isn't mentioned at all a list of candidates for a Democratic primary, so I'm assuming Bell went unopposed. Of course, Strayhorn and Friedman don't have formal parties and thus no primaries. Mind you, given this all, you might just want to start in the GE...

There were apparently two other Democratic Opponents in the Primary, Representative Robert Gammage and Rashad Jafer, the former performing quite respectably but still being crushed for the most part. Should at least make it somewhat more interesting.

With the Republican Primary there is of course possible challenges by Senator Hutchinson and Strayhorn. There are also a few minor candidates here and there including Larry Kilgore (the avid Texan Secessionist) that will at least give Perry something to think about.

Strayhorn in her Independent bid will have her Campaign kick off on the Ninth of May (when she turned in her signatures for Ballot Access). Friedman I guess will simply run from the beginning since he had been campaigning since 2004 or so.

Do any of you know where I can figure out how much money the Campaigns had?

Okay, I have a map but for some reason every county that touches one of the edges is part of the background. As you see I have tried several methods to fix this but to no avail. Any help figuring out why this is would be appreciated. Also, is there a limit to the number of political units allowed?

4Upyw.png

Okay, I have a map but for some reason every county that touches one of the edges is part of the background. As you see I have tried several methods to fix this but to no avail. Any help figuring out why this is would be appreciated. Also, is there a limit to the number of political units allowed?

4Upyw.png

I believe the political unit limit is 256, so Texas will JUST fit in.

• Upvote 1

Well, I figured out what was wrong with the Map. For some reason when it got converted the edge borders were no longer "Solid Black" so they weren't by the game recognized as borders whereas the ones in the interior, which somehow remains "Solid Black", were. Considering the difference was almost negligible, and I only discovered it by playing around with the colors, I was lucky to have caught it.

And I am not looking forward to managing 254 Counties, nor 1270 County Primaries <_<

Well I made created all of the Counties.

Then it started to give me invalid errors when finishing the last couple.

Then it told me it was out of memory.

Then it wouldn't let me do anything to decrease memory usage.

THEN it acted as if the file were corrupted.

In short, I spent about six hours entering data for no gain, and I have no way to recover what I lost. :angry:

Well I made created all of the Counties.

Then it started to give me invalid errors when finishing the last couple.

Then it told me it was out of memory.

Then it wouldn't let me do anything to decrease memory usage.

THEN it acted as if the file were corrupted.

In short, I spent about six hours entering data for no gain, and I have no way to recover what I lost. :angry:

Ouch! That's harsh! All I can suggest is send it to TheorySpark. I've never personally done a project of this magnitude (at least in terms of political units).

• Upvote 1

Ouch! That's harsh! All I can suggest is send it to TheorySpark. I've never personally done a project of this magnitude (at least in terms of political units).

There isn't anything to show because it won't properly open up anymore. I'll simply have to do it again, though I will ask them what the ceiling is in terms of what the scenario can hold for an Election like this. It is possible that it glitched out because I hit the Political Units limit without knowing it and it is 250 (entirely possible since I only had three more to fill after the one that caused the glitch).

On the brighter side it does allow me to fix existing flaws in the map that I hadn't noticed until it was too late...........at the time.

I'm also looking at possibly combining some of the counties to reduce the number (the map, from Campaigns Forever anyway, looked pretty ugly with all the abbreviations covering it) but the results are so different from county to county that I really would not work.