Andrew Cuomo

Cory Booker

Joe Manchin

Michael Bennet

Mary Landreiu

4jo01e.jpg

Anyone want this scenario?

I'll take a copy. chandallah@netscape.net

I wrote this before but then I erased it by accident. But the scenario is basically Mitt Romney running for re-election after beating Obama in 2012. He bought the economy back up from peril, and the feel good atmosphere of Reagan has spread across America. Even though the tea party is a distant memory, the senators elected aren't. After Mitt ignored social issues and passed cap & trade, Rand Paul & Mike Lee (two of the most social conservatives in senate) are challenging Mitt. Mitt is barely hanging on in the polls.

On the democratic side, Andrew Cuomo is in a tight race with Cory Booker. Booker, previously the Newark mayor and successor to Chris Christie, is hoping to capitalize on the same skills that launched Obama into office. Joe Manchin and Mary Landrieu, are both hoping to appeal to southerners and bring the democratic party to more of a blue dog tilt. Michael Bennet is a long shot, having a hard time breaking out in the crowded field of high profile politicians.

does anyone have any other likely candidates they want me to include?

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand might be one, though she may support Cuomo if he were to run. Amy Klobuchar, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden may be some possibles. A fun one could be Barack Obama, in search for victory(though if Romney's that popular in your scenario, he wouldn't run)but still it would be fun. Other possibilities might be Mark Warner or Al Franken.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand might be one, though she may support Cuomo if he were to run. Amy Klobuchar, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden may be some possibles. A fun one could be Barack Obama, in search for victory(though if Romney's that popular in your scenario, he wouldn't run)but still it would be fun. Other possibilities might be Mark Warner or Al Franken.

Also, as GOP challengers go, though he declined to run in 2012, Huckabee hinted he may run in 2016.

Also, as GOP challengers go, though he declined to run in 2012, Huckabee hinted he may run in 2016.

I don't think anyone (ie, Palin, Huckabee, Gingrich) will be relevant or politically viable by 2016. If you think back 5 years ago, how different were the national figures at that time. Barack Obama wasn't well known, Palin wasn't around, etc. As hard as it is to look into the future, looking back at the past tells us 5 years from now the national figures and rising stars will be different. Huckabee wasn't that important anyway, and if any year was his time to run it would of been in 2012.

Also the question arises, if Romney did win the presidency; who would realistically challenge an incumbent? Usually it's a few fringe candidates who make a short play at it. It would be interesting if an experience candidate (Rand Paul, Mike Lee) could successfully challenge an incumbent; and win. I think that scenario is realistic.

For the Democrats Maryland Governor Martin o' Malley has often been considered a candidate for president in 2016

and the Republicans you could put Herman Cain as an off canidate

oh and by the way who was Romney's Vice President during 2012?

Susana Martinez.

Martin o'malley (on)

Kay Hagan (on)

Mary Landrieu (off)

Kay Hagan is a more viable candidate than Mary Landrieu. Since O'Malley is on, I'm not sure where Booker falls.

I didn't include Gillibrand because, like you said, she would support Cuomo. I did put her on the VP list though. Amy Klobuchar is a possibility. But like I said before, politically, Biden and Clinton are going to be for the most part irrelevant in 2016. More Biden then Clinton imo.

I found this on Mark Warner back in 2008 on a blog, here's an excerpt. This also applies to Amy Klobuchar:

By 2016, Mark Warner will likely be a sitting senator in his second term and a popular former governor. He'll also, however, be 62 years old (older than the average contender) and will not be a new or exciting face. He is not a terribly charismatic guy and he doesn't really excite any major ideological faction of the party.]

Here's where i'm at now.

Incumbent Mitt Romney

Challengers: Mike Lee, Rand Paul

Democratic:

Andrew Cuomo

Cory Booker

Martin O'malley

Joe Manchin

Kay Hagan

Michael Bennet

Possible:

Bev Purdue

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess one of the following...

Christie

Rubio

Bachmann

Huntsman Jr.

For the Democrats Maryland Governor Martin o' Malley has often been considered a candidate for president in 2016

and the Republicans you could put Herman Cain as an off canidate

oh and by the way who was Romney's Vice President during 2012?

Here's where i'm at now.

Incumbent Mitt Romney

Challengers: Mike Lee, Rand Paul

Democratic:

Andrew Cuomo

Cory Booker

Martin O'malley

Joe Manchin

Kay Hagan

Michael Bennet

Possible:

Bev Purdue