270soft Forum

U.S. Presidential Election 2012 - With a twist

The Tea Party decides to form it's own electoral party. Many high-profile Republicans defect to it. The Republican Party is now able to appear more moderate, without having to worry as much about alienating right-wingers.

Candidates:

Democratic:

Barack Obama

Hillary Clinton (Off)

Mark Warner (Off)

Alvin Greene (Off)

Republican:

Mitt Romney

Mike Huckabee

Tim Pawlenty

Mitch Daniels

Jon Huntsman

Lisa Murkowksi

Olympia Snowe

Rudy Giuliani

Michael Bloomberg (Off)

David Petraeus (Off)

Newt Gingrich

Lindsey Graham

Scott Brown (Off)

Chris Christie (Off)

Charlie Crist

John Cornyn

Progressive:

Russ Feingold

Howard Dean

Alan Grayson

Al Franken

Bernie Sanders

Dennis Kucinich

Anthony Weiner

Michael Moore

Ralph Nader

Tea Party:

Sarah Palin

Ron Paul

Rand Paul (Off)

Allen West

Glenn Beck

Michelle Bachmann

Jim DeMint

Marco Rubio (Off)

Any further ideas, suggestions, and comments?

The Tea Party decides to form it's own electoral party. Many high-profile Republicans defect to it. The Republican Party is now able to appear more moderate, without having to worry as much about alienating right-wingers.

Candidates:

Democratic:

Barack Obama

Hillary Clinton (Off)

Russ Feingold (Off)

Mark Warner (Off)

Dennis Kucinich (Off)

Alan Grayson (Off)

Mike Gravel (Off)

Alvin Greene (Off)

Bernie Sanders (Off)

Howard Dean (Off)

Al Franken (Off)

Republican:

Mitt Romney

Mike Huckabee

Tim Pawlenty

Mitch Daniels

Jon Huntsman

Lisa Murkowksi

Olympia Snowe

Rudy Giuliani

Michael Bloomberg (Off)

David Petraeus (Off)

Newt Gingrich

Lindsey Graham

Scott Brown (Off)

Chris Christie (Off)

Charlie Crist

John Cornyn

Tea Party:

Sarah Palin

Ron Paul

Rand Paul (Off)

Allen West

Glenn Beck

Michelle Bachmann

Jim DeMint

Any further ideas, suggestions, and comments?

Maybe have a progressive or liberal party, them being fed up with the democratic party being moderate (somewhat) on issues. Otherwise I don't see how the GOP or tea party can win if no one is splitting the Democrats.

Maybe have a progressive or liberal party, them being fed up with the democratic party being moderate (somewhat) on issues. Otherwise I don't see how the GOP or tea party can win if no one is splitting the Democrats.

Agreed. I've edited the opening post.

I'd probably take Charlie Crist, John Cornyn, Lindsey Graham, and Mike Bloomberg off the GOP list...

Like I said, the Republican Party can now appear more moderate to the electorate, so those four (none of which are popular with the Tea Party) would be more likely to run. There was a lot of talk about Crist and Graham as potential nominees a while ago too.

definitly. Crist botched his career with that ill-advised independent campaign, at least as a Republican. So did Bloomberg. He couldn't be nominated. The GOP wouldn't accept him. Neither would they accept Graham. Graham tends to break with his party too much.

yes, but this was before he screwed the party over down in FL, he can't win the nomination.

and isn't bloomberg an independent?

Lindsey Graham could win a GENERAL ELECTION. He would be popular amoung independents and moderates. However, he has been far too maverick to be nominated by his party. The only maverick the Republicans will nominate now is a Tea-Party maverick, not a moderate maverick like Graham

include graham, he could win

But Crist is no longer a Republican. In fact, he actually said that if had been elected to the US Senate, he would immediatly caucus with the Democrats. And now, he is pretty much a solid Democrat. He is more liberal than he is moderate.

Like I said, the Republican Party can now appear more moderate to the electorate, so those four (none of which are popular with the Tea Party) would be more likely to run. There was a lot of talk about Crist and Graham as potential nominees a while ago too.

• 9 months later...

Archived