270soft Forum

Problems with C4E

So, I've been trying to make some scenarios with C4E (I just bought it a few days ago), and for some reason, when I save a scenario, no folder appears in the program files P4E scenario folder. After lots of work on two scenarios this happened. The weird thing was that when I was loading graphics into the game, the folder appeared in the pop up window, but when I went back to the program files manually, there was no folder. After a while, it would still load in C4E, but I would get an error message about not finding an image and to check if the scenario exists. Then I would get the error message: Access violation at address 0040251B in module 'ScenarioConstructor.exe'. Read of address 00000030, whenever I click on one of the steps. Help, I've spent so much time on these scenarios!

I take it you're referring to Campaigns Forever?

What operating system (Windows xp, Vista, 7)?

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Designer

270soft.com

Where gaming gets political!

So, I've been trying to make some scenarios with C4E (I just bought it a few days ago), and for some reason, when I save a scenario, no folder appears in the program files P4E scenario folder. After lots of work on two scenarios this happened. The weird thing was that when I was loading graphics into the game, the folder appeared in the pop up window, but when I went back to the program files manually, there was no folder. After a while, it would still load in C4E, but I would get an error message about not finding an image and to check if the scenario exists. Then I would get the error message: Access violation at address 0040251B in module 'ScenarioConstructor.exe'. Read of address 00000030, whenever I click on one of the steps. Help, I've spent so much time on these scenarios!

1. Make sure to run Campaigns Forever as an administrator.

2. Part of the problem might be that Windows 7 is hiding folders or files from you in your File Explorer. Go to Windows Start Button > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > and then under Folder Options > Show hidden files and folders.

3. Also, check the Security settings on the scenarios folder and sub-folders, and make sure you are allowed to edit files.

Windows 7

1. Make sure to run Campaigns Forever as an administrator.

2. Part of the problem might be that Windows 7 is hiding folders or files from you in your File Explorer. Go to Windows Start Button > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > and then under Folder Options > Show hidden files and folders.

3. Also, check the Security settings on the scenarios folder and sub-folders, and make sure you are allowed to edit files.

Well, I tried all three.

Number 1 worked when I tried to create and save a new scenario. However, I can't figure out how (if) I can save the old scenario I was working on, and it is still acting weirdly in this regard.

When I run Campaigns Forever as an administrator, the old scenarios do not appear. When I run it as a non-administrator, however, they do (still get the errors I mentioned earlier). I tried 2 & 3, but the files did not appear. They only appear when I'm working on a new scenario as a non-administrator and I click on, say, change issue icon. They do appear in the window that pops up if I navigate back to the scenarios folder. The computer doesn't seem to think they exist, as I cannot copy them elsewhere, nor can I copy individual folders within them elsewhere. If it matters, there is a little lock on top of the folder icon only on these scenarios.

Thanks for helping :)

Just to confirm, you are saying that things now work properly for new scenarios, it's just the old scenarios that never worked properly that still have problems?

Well, I tried all three.

Number 1 worked when I tried to create and save a new scenario. However, I can't figure out how (if) I can save the old scenario I was working on, and it is still acting weirdly in this regard.

When I run Campaigns Forever as an administrator, the old scenarios do not appear. When I run it as a non-administrator, however, they do (still get the errors I mentioned earlier). I tried 2 & 3, but the files did not appear. They only appear when I'm working on a new scenario as a non-administrator and I click on, say, change issue icon. They do appear in the window that pops up if I navigate back to the scenarios folder. The computer doesn't seem to think they exist, as I cannot copy them elsewhere, nor can I copy individual folders within them elsewhere. If it matters, there is a little lock on top of the folder icon only on these scenarios.

Thanks for helping :)

• 1 year later...

This is driving be round the bend. Totally nuts stir crazy. I've literally spent the last hour trying to access a custom scenario which Windows 7 has hidden away.

It also appears as if Campaigns Forever isnt reading the political_units file from another scenario which is accessible. I've edited the file in word (find and replace on <motto> etc to save time rather than each individual entry in the tool) and the edits dont show up in CF. I've even deleted the old political_units and replaced with a new version - they dont show up. I've even deleted political_units altogether, and CF seems to magically access it from somewhere.

How I've done it:

You have to run Campaigns forever as an administrator.

the only way to access an old scenario (at least, how I did it) is run campaigns forever normally (not as an administrator). Pick a different scenario and go to edit a candidate's picture. Go to the scenarios when looking for a new picture and you should see the scenario you were working on. right-click and send it to the recycling bin. go to the recycling bin and hit restore. hope this makes sense.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It has to do with permissions in Windows 7. Make sure you are an Admin account, and that you run the programs (Notepad, Campaigns Forever) as an administrator (right-click, run as Administrator). If this doesn't help, please let me know.

This is driving be round the bend. Totally nuts stir crazy. I've literally spent the last hour trying to access a custom scenario which Windows 7 has hidden away.

It also appears as if Campaigns Forever isnt reading the political_units file from another scenario which is accessible. I've edited the file in word (find and replace on <motto> etc to save time rather than each individual entry in the tool) and the edits dont show up in CF. I've even deleted the old political_units and replaced with a new version - they dont show up. I've even deleted political_units altogether, and CF seems to magically access it from somewhere.