270soft Forum

Connecticut Senatorial 2010

the convention endorses a candidate before the primary, but anyone can participate in the primary. the winner of the convention does not necessarily win the primary. For example in 2006 for Governor Dan Malloy won the endorsement of the Democratic Convention but Jon DeStefano was chosen by Democratic voters as the nominee in the primary.

That's how they do it in NY too. But it's usually to help the Republican party nominee because the costs to run ads here are crazy, and by the time the primary is over, they're broke.

So it was a mistake that the GOP convention was in august?

• Upvote 1

While I agree with Rz, Alpert and the challengers posed NO threat to Blumenthal. As someone who has connections in the Democratic Party, the establishment wasn't letting Alpert near their candidate. Maybe in the General? And Simmons should be stronger than McMahon in the general

I also think the universal alienated should be much higher. Since the results in the general were:

Democratic Republican

636,040 498,341

And in the scenario, Blumenthal is receiving 885,000 just in the Primary?

• Upvote 1

Party - Active voters - Inactive voters - Total voters - Percentage

Democratic - 751,612 - 41,322 - 792,934 - 36.84%

Republican - 412,746 - 20,311 - 433,057 - 20.12%

Unaffiliated - 853,607 - 61,286 - 914,893 - 42.51%

Minor parties - 10,709 - 727 - 11,436 - 0.53%

Total - 2,028,674 - 123,646 - 2,152,320 - 100%

I would type in the active voters as your population, etc. and set universal alienated to 0%? And there aren't even 810,000 Democratic Voters in the state...CT Primaries at "closed"

This will all be taken as sound advice for revisions. I think the best way to run the convention-before-primaries issue is to have the in-game conventions (where the engine recognizes the nominations) for the Democrats and Republicans be the primaries (August 10), but have the real-world conventions (May 20) be a pair of scripted events. I'd still keep the CFL in-game convention at January 15, as that's when the party firmly decided on Mertens over Anderson (apparently Anderson was late arriving at this event, which took place in a second-story room above a store in downtown Hatford, and could only offer Mertens congratulations and warnings), and Mossler will remain at May 20, as that's when he firmly announced his candidacy. I can adjust the voter populations, however, and change primareis to closed.

This will all be taken as sound advice for revisions. I think the best way to run the convention-before-primaries issue is to have the in-game conventions (where the engine recognizes the nominations) for the Democrats and Republicans be the primaries (August 10), but have the real-world conventions (May 20) be a pair of scripted events. I'd still keep the CFL in-game convention at January 15, as that's when the party firmly decided on Mertens over Anderson (apparently Anderson was late arriving at this event, which took place in a second-story room above a store in downtown Hatford, and could only offer Mertens congratulations and warnings), and Mossler will remain at May 20, as that's when he firmly announced his candidacy. I can adjust the voter populations, however, and change primareis to closed.

Sounds good. How do you put in an event that creates negative momentum for a candidate?

• Upvote 1

Are you done with this scenario, or are you still tinkering with it?

I'm basically finished with it, the only thing i'm doing now is moving the information into the new scenario file. If you want me to send you it now I can do that, but everything isn't there yet.

• Upvote 1

I'm basically finished with it, the only thing i'm doing now is moving the information into the new scenario file. If you want me to send you it now I can do that, but everything isn't there yet.

I'll wait till you're done copying the data.

It does look pretty good, but two questions. First, why did you remove all the GOP candidates but McMahon and Simmons, including the off-by-default ones, all of which Wikipedia said did consider running for the office? And second, was Mosler really only on the ballot in Fairfield County?

It does look pretty good, but two questions. First, why did you remove all the GOP candidates but McMahon and Simmons, including the off-by-default ones, all of which Wikipedia said did consider running for the office? And second, was Mosler really only on the ballot in Fairfield County?

It must have been a mistake. A lot of the information on a bunch of scenarios i'm completing keep disappearing.

• Upvote 2