270soft Forum

Australia 2010, and the C4E Engine

I will admit that I did not particularly enjoy the C4E engine when it first came out, but I must say that I have found its implementation in the Australia 2010 game to be utterly unenjoyable. There are a couple of problems, from what I can tell:

1) It does not adapt to preferential voting. Period, end of story. This is a problem given the Australian electoral system. Ditto the Coalition.

2) Undecideds rise rather than falling throughout the campaign. This results in the Greens picking up around 20% of the vote much of the time (they seem to get about half the undecideds), even on a couple of Green spacebar campaigns. With the computer set to "hard", I'd come in at about 18% on a spacebar-only campaign; on "easy", it was 21-22%. On easy, I once held the spacebar down to win an MP!

3) The engine itself is clumsy, and the costs of the ground operations feel rather outsized at times, while the detail level gets to be too much. The detail here is just a bit too much for my liking, I guess.

Now, I'm not going to slam the engine outright, but at the rate things are going, I have found my interest in the game to be severely unenjoyable when compared to my previous experiences over the last decade. I don't know whether it is the undecideds flaw or if the detail has just hit a level that makes the game unenjoyable, but unless there are substantial improvements going forward, President Forever 2012 may indeed be the first game you've made in years that I do not buy. This engine has not gained my endearment in any way whatsoever.

Hi Taft,

Thank you for the feedback - it is appreciated.

PM4E Aus 2010 is still in Beta stage. The things you mentioned are things I am aware of.

1. Preferential voting will be implemented.

2. Undecideds are an issue of tweaking the core game engine, and will be done as PM4E Aus 2010 is completed.

3. I agree that there is too much detail. This will be encapsulated or removed going forward.

Development is now moving again on PM4E Aus 2010, and so these things should be changed soon.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Hi Taft,

Thank you for the feedback - it is appreciated.

PM4E Aus 2010 is still in Beta stage. The things you mentioned are things I am aware of.

1. Preferential voting will be implemented.

2. Undecideds are an issue of tweaking the core game engine, and will be done as PM4E Aus 2010 is completed.

3. I agree that there is too much detail. This will be encapsulated or removed going forward.

Development is now moving again on PM4E Aus 2010, and so these things should be changed soon.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Tony,

Thanks for the reassurances; for some reason, I thought it was out of Beta (that's a mea culpa). That said, I'm especially glad to see 1 for Australia, and 2/3 are good overall. Thanks for the response, and I do look forward to seeing the product advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know that I do. I quite like being able to research (and have to combat) scandals for particular seats. Makes it easier for me to focus on winning the seat of Warringah for Labor.

The biggest problem I have is how 'expensive' everything is in terms of command points. Researching a scandal for a particular seat costs as much as researching a scandal for the entire party. In the early weeks of the campaign, I often find that I never have enough CP to do everything I want/need to do, but towards the end of the campaign, I have too many free CP's and I can't possibly spend them all.

It would be nice if we could "pour" CP's into something. Say, spend 1 CP for a particular turn on an ad already in production, causing it to be finished a day earlier. Or spending 3 CP's in a particular turn on research, giving you a higher chance of breakthrough.

• Upvote 1