270soft Forum

United States 2020

Having done a poll for an incumbant and received a goodly number of votes and compelling arguements (as well as suggestions for other candidates), and since I got no feedback on 1828, I've decided to try this one (though I really should also finish my 2016 one that it springs from). I'm likely to go with Cuomo as the incumbant, as he did get the most votes in the poll, but am also tempted by Warner given the compelling arguement by Darkmoon. Some of the unique issues I'm planning are:

-Candidates' stance toward intervention/mediation/non-intervention in a Sino-Russian War over a Chinese invasion of Kazakhstan.

-The future of Cuba after Raul Castro's death early in 2020.

-The dropping value of the dollar as U.S. currency manipulation starts to fall flat.

-A civil war between fundamentalists and reformers in Iran.

-A megacorp on the verge of developing safe cold fusion power and whether to support it or give into the oil lobbey.

-The possibility of a moonbase and Martian colonization.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Candidates include:

Democratic

President Andrew Cuomo of New York OR

President Mark Warner of Virginia

Congressman Alan Grayson of Florida

Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth Sandlin of South Dakota

Mr. Michael Moore of California (off by default)

Republicans

Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington

Senator John Hoeven of North Dakota

Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana

Senator Jerry Moran of Kansas

Congressman Jeff Flake of Arizona

Congressman Dean Heller of Nevada

Senator John Thune of South Dakota

Any other suggestions are welcome. Please keep age in mind; this scenario's 10 years from now.

Restoration (described in my 2016 scenario; off by default)

Mr. Arthur Green of Massachusetts

Independent (as two seperate 'parties')

Governor Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island

Senator Charlie Crist of Florida

There will also be a Tea Party, either as 1-3 GOP candidates (I'll select from those who do well tomorrow), or as a splinter party.

Other parties may or may not be represented.

Some of the Dem and GOP candidates who are currently Congressmen and -women may be upgraded to Governors and Senators by the scenario's timeframe.

Also, Puerto Rico attained statehood in 2018, and thus has electoral votes (any thoughts on how many?).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Rodgers is a great candidate, I bet that by 2020 she'll be a Governor or Senator (or at least House Leader/Speaker)

I think a good idea would be to take some Congressman that are fairly active in the news and assume they'd get Senator or Governor or a Cabinet...whatever

Another few suggestions...

Governor Dan Malloy (D-CT)

Governor Mary Fallin (R-OK)

I'm not convinced Grayson is out long-term; a lot of liberals are advocating that he run for stuff in the future. Agree that Rubio should be included (quite honestly, he strikes me as a really formidable candidate down the road), and likewise Haley, I think, though she's been scandal-dogged so far. You could try a world in which the Republicans have tried to get more diverse by 2020. Guys like Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, who are both pretty young and considered up-and-comers would be possibilities, possible Cantor as the GOP's leader in the House or Ryan as a Senator.

One thing to remember is, historically, Presidential candidates have very rarely been prominent figures 10 years in advance. So I think that almost anyone who's nationally prominent now and not as an up-and-comer should be basically thought of as unlikely at best on the Republican side.

These are all very good suggestions. I do indeed want candidates for the GOP and any Dem challengers who are currently young and up-and-coming. I mean, whereas Nixon and Reagan were very well-established a decade before becoming presidents, it's not the rule. Any ideas on issues or events?

My opinions on the Democratic candidates and their provenance; find it a bit easier sometimes to plan future scenarios if you game how they got to the position...

President Andrew Cuomo of New York (Elected Gov NY 2010, presume he is re-elected 2014, giving him two years to plan and finance his campaign alongside being NY Gov.)

President Mark Warner of Virginia (Elected Sen VA 2008, presume re-election in 2014, and potentially elected President in 2016)

Congressman Alan Grayson of Florida (Has to do something in the intervening time, do feel he is a bit too liberal to have a statewide (ie Gov or Sen) appeal, never mind nationwide. Could however fill the gap left by Denis Kuchinich in the Democratic Primary process, but would still probably need some sort of political position)

Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth Sandlin of South Dakota (Defeated in 2010 for re-election (surprisingly I feel), no harm in saying she wins re-election in 2012 but it is difficult to win the Presidency, unless your James Garfield, from the House. Could assume that in 2014 Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) decides enough is enough and that his health issues stop him from running for re-election. SHS takes the Senate seat setting her up for a 2020 run)

Other longshot candidates or possible VPs?

Lisa Madigan (currently IL AG, long seen as someone who may take higher office though Gov (Pat Quinn) and Sen (Dick Durbin until at least 2014, Mark Kirk until 2016 at least seem cut off for her)

Kamala Harris (Calif SoS, *perhaps* next Calif AG, perhaps succeeds Dianne Feinstein in 2012/2018)

Sen Kirsten Gillibrand of New York (Attractive young Sen facing re-election in 2012 and then 2018: perhaps outside choice? Can she rise up the Democratic Sen leadership quickly? Whip? Sen Majority/Minority Leader?)

Others off the top of my head: Gov Brian Schweitzer of Montana, Calif Lt Gov Gavin Newsom perhaps as a VP choice (though he has issues), Sen Al Franken of MN perhaps, and I'm sure there are many, many other talented state legislators and Congress[wo]men waiting to pop their heads above the parapet.

Politics seems to be getting more celebritized, so maybe also add someone like Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson for the Republicans.

Quite possibly Bruce Willis, but I had thought Mel Gibson was born in Australia and therefore inelligible, unless I'm thinking of someone else.

As for your analysis, Reese, very good advice there. I'm not sure whether I will or won't include Grayson in the end, but your comments will all be taken under consideration. Thanks!

And Abram, I do agree there should be some Middle East based issue.

• 5 months later...

Having done a poll for an incumbant and received a goodly number of votes and compelling arguements (as well as suggestions for other candidates), and since I got no feedback on 1828, I've decided to try this one (though I really should also finish my 2016 one that it springs from). I'm likely to go with Cuomo as the incumbant, as he did get the most votes in the poll, but am also tempted by Warner given the compelling arguement by Darkmoon. Some of the unique issues I'm planning are:

-Candidates' stance toward intervention/mediation/non-intervention in a Sino-Russian War over a Chinese invasion of Kazakhstan.

-The future of Cuba after Raul Castro's death early in 2020.

-The dropping value of the dollar as U.S. currency manipulation starts to fall flat.

-A civil war between fundamentalists and reformers in Iran.

-A megacorp on the verge of developing safe cold fusion power and whether to support it or give into the oil lobbey.

-The possibility of a moonbase and Martian colonization.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Candidates include:

Democratic

President Andrew Cuomo of New York OR

President Mark Warner of Virginia

Congressman Alan Grayson of Florida

Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth Sandlin of South Dakota

Republicans

Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington

Senator John Hoeven of North Dakota

Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana

Senator Jerry Moran of Kansas

Congressman Jeff Flake of Arizona

Congressman Dean Heller of Nevada

Senator John Thune of South Dakota

Any other suggestions are welcome. Please keep age in mind; this scenario's 10 years from now.

Restoration (described in my 2016 scenario; off by default)

Mr. Arthur Green of Massachusetts

Independent (as two seperate 'parties')

Governor Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island

Senator Charlie Crist of Florida

There will also be a Tea Party, either as 1-3 GOP candidates (I'll select from those who do well tomorrow), or as a splinter party.

Other parties may or may not be represented.

Some of the Dem and GOP candidates who are currently Congressmen and -women may be upgraded to Governors and Senators by the scenario's timeframe.

Also, Puerto Rico attained statehood in 2018, and thus has electoral votes (any thoughts on how many?).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Andrew Cuomo seems like the only feasible democratic candidate you have that would be viable in 2020. Same goes for the Republicans, Mike Pence and John Thune.

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think about adding Martin Dempsey, especially if his career as chairman of the JCoS involves a lot of action with Libya, North Korea, Iran, and Pakistan as issues.

What do you guys think about adding Martin Dempsey, especially if his career as chairman of the JCoS involves a lot of action with Libya, North Korea, Iran, and Pakistan as issues.

Seems like an interesting idea to add Dempsey, but what party would he be affiliated with?

Archived