270soft Forum

Alright, so I'm hoping to start working on a 1948 scenario. Here are some candidates:

Republican:

Thomas Dewey

Robert Taft

Harold E. Stassen

Earl Warren

Douglas MacArthur

Dwight D. Eisenhower (Off by Default)

Democratic:

Harry Truman

Dwight D. Eisenhower (Off by Default)

Alben Barkley

Richard Russell Jr.

Dixiecrat:

Strom Thurmond

Progressive (Off by Default):

Henry Wallace

Fair Deal

Labor

Cold War

Nuclear Weapons

Marshall Plan?

Internationalism/UN?

Civil Rights

Communism (HUAC)

New Deal/Social Security

Health Care

China?

Korea?

Those are some ideas. The tricky part, of course, will be letting Truman make his massive comeback over the last couple of weeks. Apparently there was an event where movie theaters played films from each campaign, and Dewey's flopped but Truman's was highly effective. Maybe that could be a scripted event, or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Some notes on my part:

- Eisenhower should be a off candidate for both the Republicans and the Democrats. He was courted by both parties, but more seriously by the Drop-Truman movement within the Democratic Party.

- Alben Barkley could be placed as a Democratic Candidate, though with extremely low support. After his keynote address, there was talk of possibly nominating him rather than Truman. Of course it came to nothing, and it would be difficult, but a skillful player could pull it off.

- Richard Russell Jr. must be placed in opposition to Truman. He is the candidate of the Southern Democrats that remained loyal and did not split off with Thurmond and the more extreme Dixiecrats. While strong, he would have a very difficult time making headway out of the south in finding support for his candidacy. Again, a skillful player "could" get him nominated, but it would not be easy.

Some notes on my part:

- Eisenhower should be a off candidate for both the Republicans and the Democrats. He was courted by both parties, but more seriously by the Drop-Truman movement within the Democratic Party.

- Alben Barkley could be placed as a Democratic Candidate, though with extremely low support. After his keynote address, there was talk of possibly nominating him rather than Truman. Of course it came to nothing, and it would be difficult, but a skillful player could pull it off.

- Richard Russell Jr. must be placed in opposition to Truman. He is the candidate of the Southern Democrats that remained loyal and did not split off with Thurmond and the more extreme Dixiecrats. While strong, he would have a very difficult time making headway out of the south in finding support for his candidacy. Again, a skillful player "could" get him nominated, but it would not be easy.

Added.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ElectoralCollege1948.svg

Henry Wallace won absolutely no states. Please do your research next time.

I never said Wallace won any states. The 48' election is my favorite moment in electoral history, so I do like to know my stuff. I just finished reading David McCullough's epic biography of Truman, and the 48' election is covered quite in depth. Truman should have a really high stamina as he was giving tons of speeches a day to the point he was going horse at the end. And one issue suggestion might be the "Do nothing" 80th Congress.