270soft Forum

Corruption

Taft

There should be some way, in the vein of the spies, to try and do some various illegal things. I can think of several ideas:

1) Break-ins: Gives you an insight on a random issue or a free scandal(usually highly damaging), but discovery...ick. Just think Watergate and you'll get the idea.

2) Illegal coordinated ads: This says it all. An attempt to use a 527 or other group to run ads smearing an opponent with coordination. Chance of discovery is decent, but the damage discovery would do will vary on the amount and plausibility of discovery, and how close the connection really is.

3) Deploying hecklers: Essentially deploying people to heckle events of your opponent. Would damage the opponent's effectiveness some, cheap, etc., but discovery could hurt.

4) Ballot-box stuffing: Well, at least in the older scenarios, this happened all the time. Could make for a nice election-night challenge, too, or a major blowup if discovered. I'm thinking the classic Mayor Daley stuff here, btw, though corrupting electronic voting systems is also a possibility these days.

Just a couple of dirty tricks you can pull or have pulled on you might make for interesting elections. It should be an option you can turn off, though...sometimes a good, clean election is fun to run as well.

I like that idea, Matthew...the discovery should put you in a position where you have the option to step aside for a "more qualified candidate" during such a scandal blowing up. A little bit would fall under normal political contact, but a lot should really start eating away at the polls. And something like widespread ballot-box stuffing should put you in a true meltdown, poll-wise(I'm thinking 5-7%, maybe even 10% in an overnight drop, and then standard scandal effects).

For the record, I think that, barring some minor tweaks, that update is all but set in stone as to what it will include. I think that right now, we're more or less having an open bull session on future updates. Which, I believe, is a good thing. At the least, it lets us get the ideas out here instead of in emails, and at the best, we might trigger some little idea in Anthony et al's minds, or provide a good idea. I think kicking around ideas is good...even an unrealistic idea or two, when reworked and toned down, can come into a game in an odd way sometimes.

By the way, on the issue of how-often-does-this-happen...a Bush-Cheney lawyer resigned last weak because he helped, allegedly helped, etc. SBVfT. Watergate comes to mind as well, as do the occasional-to-frequent charges of Bush planning to steal the election, vanishing ballot boxes in Florida in 2000, and frankly the heckling occurs all the time. And I think that some stuff, if discovered or done at a bad moment, could shift a close election.

In Elections, there is the possible & the probable. Who among us thought that the 2000 election would go to the Supreme Court beforehand; the answer: no one. Options & Ideas to make this game better as a whole is a definate plus for all players to enjoy & share in those new ideas or exciting opitions that we have yet to even imagine. Nothing in this election (or future ones for that matter) is 100% certain; for we are to have expectations as voters certain of elections: uncertainity in tomorrow all the way up to Election Day.

That is the whole buck on the issue as I see it anyway.

Matthew