270soft Forum

United States 1828

Wilst I tinker with finishing/fixing 1789, 1824, 1860, 1936, 1996, and 2016, I thought I'd unveil my latest project, 1828. I believe I can easily build it from a base of 1824, and it should be easy, with only two candidates (I'll probably do it GE only). I think I'll eliminate the backfire chance for negative ads to help encourage the constant character assassination that typified this election. I need some help on issues, endorsers, and events, though.

Just a few questions I need to come up with answers for, if anyone can help.

-Wikipedia gives the start of the GE as Oct. 31, 1828, but they seem to have been campaigning right since Adams' victory in 1825 was decided. When should I begin the scenario?

-I think most of the issues from 1824 could be used as is. Any exceptions or changes anyone would suggest?

-Should I make the historical attacks on candidates events, or cover them through no-backfire attack ads?

I might add the Corrupt Bargain per-se as an event, and a high-level one. As for the mudslinging, you might see if there were a couple of particularly notable episodes of it, and make those into scripted events (which I still don't know how to do!), and then just use the freebee attack ads to make the campaign generally nasty.

I might add the Corrupt Bargain per-se as an event, and a high-level one. As for the mudslinging, you might see if there were a couple of particularly notable episodes of it, and make those into scripted events (which I still don't know how to do!), and then just use the freebee attack ads to make the campaign generally nasty.

Good idea! I may actually, even though it'll lead to a long scenario, start right at the resolution of the Contingent Election of 1825, which will allow me to explore the whole meat of this election (I'll just do primaries mode until Oct. 31, 1828, when it'll switch to GE mode with no convention or primaries; with only one candidate for each party, it should work out). I've got most of this scenario done. Only issue centres, issue priorities, starting state percentages for each party, events, and endorsers need doing; I could use some help on these if anyone can lend a hand.

I've actually decided against a super-long scenario and I'm now planning a GE-only scenario from March 1st, 1828 to Decemeber 2nd, 1828. I think I'll work the 'corrupt bargain' and Jefferson's final notes as backlog events right at the start of the scenario.

Does anyone know the actual percentages for each candidate per state? I'm having a hard time Googling it.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html

Check the Presidential election for 1828. It's right there. (Also, best site ever.)

That's a great help! Thanks!

Now I have a new problem. I've adjusted the election start and end dates and punched in starting state percentages for both parties, but now the game crashes on an access violation error when I load it. It didn't before. I checked for such dumb errors as putting the start of the GE after the end and such, but nothing so simple. Could someone please have a look at it and see if they notice something I may have missed? Thanks in advance!

Okay, this is weird. My 1789 scenario (which I edited to follow Darkmoon's advice on it) and 1828 scenario, as well as an 1832 scenario I was also tinkering with from the same template as 1828, all have the same error; the exact same Access Violation Error after the first turn in the primaries or upon loading the GE. If someone could PLEASE take a look at them and figure out what's wrong, I'd be in your debt, as I'm utterly lost. For this purpose, I've uploaded the scenarios at the link below.

http://drop.io/0sccvwi

This is just too much! I decided to try an 1800 scenario in the nuance while I waited for someone to look at my scenarios (BTW, is anyone looking at them?) and I got it to the point where it could be playtested (the same point of development the other three are at), and it too had the same fricking Access Violation Error! What could I possibly be doing wrong?! That's four scenarios in a row! Could someone PLEASE help me? I've attached the 1800 scenario below.

http://drop.io/os1mjgd

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've gotten this scenario working, and now might as well finish it. With just two candidates and only a GE, it should be a simple slugfest, especially with no backfire chance to attack ads, making this election the mudslinging gouge it historically was. All I need now is some advice on possible endorsers and events in this election. I do know Jefferson's endorsement was sought by both until his death in 1826, and, shortly before dying, he historically decided Jackson was the least of two evils (though he had ill to say of both of them). Anyone know of any other prominent ones?

Okay, I've gotten this scenario working, and now might as well finish it. With just two candidates and only a GE, it should be a simple slugfest, especially with no backfire chance to attack ads, making this election the mudslinging gouge it historically was. All I need now is some advice on possible endorsers and events in this election. I do know Jefferson's endorsement was sought by both until his death in 1826, and, shortly before dying, he historically decided Jackson was the least of two evils (though he had ill to say of both of them). Anyone know of any other prominent ones?

Can anyone help me here?