270soft Forum

Here are the links to my 1900 scenario.

http://rapidshare.com/files/402534517/United_States_-_1900.rar.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EWUMU7E8

I have managed to win this scenario as William Jennings Bryan, even though McKinley wins most of the time. The percentages are fairly close to the real-life percentages.

Let me know what you think - if there are any errors, problems, or if there was something you really liked about this scenario.

I'm certainly open to suggestions and constructive criticism, as this is the first scenario I've ever created.

*Faints* WJB fanatic, he may have been socially conservative, but I consider him the father of the modern Democratic Party.

True. He did introduce economic populism into the Democratic Party. Wilson, FDR, and just about every Democratic President since has built on that.

May I suggest adding some effect of PIP's on endorsers, I've collected all these PIP's and can't do anything with them.

Certainly. The reason I did that is because of all the US Senators I set as endorsers - they weren't very likely to bolt their respective parties, so I made the PIPs have zero effect on them. The PIPs still work on newspapers and wealthy industrialists.

I can certainly change it so that the PIPs have a small effect on the US Senators.

Well, I fixed the PIP problem with the newspapers, but I discovered a new problem.

During the primaries, McKinley builds up so much momentum that he's almost 20 points ahead by the time the general election starts.

When I start the game from the general election, the outcome is pretty close to the actual election results, but when I start from the primaries, McKinley gets about 55%, Bryan 37%, and the third party candidates get way too many votes.

Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Well, I fixed the PIP problem with the newspapers, but I discovered a new problem.

During the primaries, McKinley builds up so much momentum that he's almost 20 points ahead by the time the general election starts.

When I start the game from the general election, the outcome is pretty close to the actual election results, but when I start from the primaries, McKinley gets about 55%, Bryan 37%, and the third party candidates get way too many votes.

Can anyone assist me with this issue?

I had this problem with Clinton in my 1996 scenario. I'm trying (as of last update; I haven't worked on it for a bit) to cut the unchallenged candidate's party's percentages on the GE map at the start of the primaries by about 15-20%, but hve the starting percentages for starting in the GE be more accurate. That way, the unchallenged candidate gets room to advance significantly in the primaries without disrupting the GE too much. Even though Bryan is by default unchallenged too, I'd still use this tactic given how strong McKinley seems to be.

I had this problem with Clinton in my 1996 scenario. I'm trying (as of last update; I haven't worked on it for a bit) to cut the unchallenged candidate's party's percentages on the GE map at the start of the primaries by about 15-20%, but hve the starting percentages for starting in the GE be more accurate. That way, the unchallenged candidate gets room to advance significantly in the primaries without disrupting the GE too much. Even though Bryan is by default unchallenged too, I'd still use this tactic given how strong McKinley seems to be.

I just now cut the Republican primary percentage by about 20% in the primaries, and it certainly helped. I think you're on the right track with this idea.

Now the popular vote percentage is McKinley 52% to Bryan 43%. A lot closer to the actual result.

I didn't cut the third party candidates' percentages - I will do that next, because they're still receiving almost double the percentages they received in the real election. Since almost all the third parties have some issue positions similar to Bryan's, I'm thinking they are cutting into his vote total more than McKinley's.

The only weird thing about doing this is the game projects the Democrats having a significant lead at the start of the primaries. That probably wasn't the case at all in real life, given the nationalist sentiment over the Spanish-American War at the time. But I can't seem to find a better solution, so I'll stick with this.

I've managed to narrow the popular vote difference down even further.

The last time I played through (I spacebar as Maloney when I test this scenario), the total was McKinley 51%, Bryan 45%. Very close to the actual result. I've been including Dewey in the primaries and Bryan still manages to get 44-45%, so that's a significant improvement.

I still have the problem of the third-party candidates getting too many votes. The Prohibition Party always gets close to the 1.5% they got in the actual election, but everyone else still gets almost double what they got in real life. I've trimmed the party percentages and decreased the percentage of decided voters, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

I will send out a second version with the fixes I just implemented (Newspaper PIPs, primaries, etc). If and when I fix the third-party situation, I'll issue a third version.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Version 2 has certainly fixed the main problem I had, which was that McKinley won by ridiculously large landslides when the game was started from the primaries.

However, I've tweaked and edited the scenario over and over, and the third-party candidates still get too many votes. I'll keep trying but I'm not having any luck so far.

If anyone wants to go ahead and edit this scenario so the third-party candidates are a bit weaker, I'd appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
However, I've tweaked and edited the scenario over and over, and the third-party candidates still get too many votes. I'll keep trying but I'm not having any luck so far.

If anyone wants to go ahead and edit this scenario so the third-party candidates are a bit weaker, I'd appreciate it.

This was the biggest problem I had with my 1932 scenario, too.

This was the biggest problem I had with my 1932 scenario, too.

Strangely, this didn't seem to be a major problem in my 1936 scenario, even though it was built from your 1932 scenario, Mrdie. I'm wondering what I changed, as knowing that could be helpful here.