270soft Forum

I'm going to have a go at making this scenario.

In 1988, Governor Michael Dukakis gave a better performance in the debates. When he was asked "If Kitty Dukakis was raped and murdered, would you a favor the death penalty for the killer?", he replyed "Let me ask you a question. What would a moderator in a Presidential debate ask a stupid question like that?" This gave him a bounce in the polls, and he narrowly defeated Vice President George H.W. Bush in both the Electoral College and the popular vote.

Candidates (suggestions would be welcome):

Democratic:

Michael Dukakis

Jerry Brown

Jesse Jackson (Off)

Republican:

Bob Dole

Dan Quayle

John McCain

Jack Kemp

Harold Stassen

Colin Powell (Off)

Independent:

Ross Perot

I think its unlikely McCain would have run, because he was at the end of his first term in '92 and was only 5 years out from the Keating Five scandal. I think you should add Pat Buchanan because he ran in both '92 and '96, and managed to be a fairly major candidate in both even against the incumbent.

I'm going to have a go at making this scenario.

In 1988, Governor Michael Dukakis gave a better performance in the debates. When he was asked "If Kitty Dukakis was raped and murdered, would you a favor the death penalty for the killer?", he replyed "Let me ask you a question. What would a moderator in a Presidential debate ask a stupid question like that?" This gave him a bounce in the polls, and he narrowly defeated Vice President George H.W. Bush in both the Electoral College and the popular vote.

Candidates (suggestions would be welcome):

Democratic:

Michael Dukakis

Jerry Brown

Jesse Jackson (Off)

Republican:

Bob Dole

Dan Quayle

John McCain

Jack Kemp

Harold Stassen

Colin Powell (Off)

Independent:

Ross Perot

I would add also:

Democratic (all Democrats besides Dukakis should be off by default unless you are portraying Dukakis as an embattled incumbent)

Bob Casey, Sr.

Mario Cuomo

Bill Bradley

Al Gore

Larry Agran

Lyndon LaRouche

Republican

Lamar Alexander

Pete Wilson

Steve Forbes

Bob Dornan

Alan Keyes

Libertarian

Ron Paul

Andre Marrou

Nancy Lord

New Alliance

Lenora Fulani

Maria Elizabeth Muñoz

I think it depends what sort of presidency Dukakis has had. If he has come off the back of the Gulf War strong, but the economy is slowing down like in reality, then I think that for the Democrats there would probably be the equivalent fringe challengers like Pat Robertson: maybe Jerry Brown.

If he is much weaker, then expect the big beasts to get involved. If I recall correctly, the only reason why people like Jay Rockefellar and Mario Cuomo didn't get involved in reality and let what was, effectively, a second tier of candidates have a go is that they thought Bush was unbeatable!

So that then also impacts on who challenges for the GOP as well.

Interesting possibilities.

• 4 weeks later...

PTL that Dukakis didn't win :P But I would suggest adding Mr. Bush Sr. What about Dick Cheney? I know it would've been fairly unrealistic but he had been Chief of Staff, Minority Whip for the Republicans, and years after the 1992 election (that's years out of the spotlight) people saw him fit for Vice-President.

PTL that Dukakis didn't win :P But I would suggest adding Mr. Bush Sr. What about Dick Cheney? I know it would've been fairly unrealistic but he had been Chief of Staff, Minority Whip for the Republicans, and years after the 1992 election (that's years out of the spotlight) people saw him fit for Vice-President.

If Bush had managed to lose in 1988, coming off the heels of Reagan's popularity, I doubt he would have run for President again.

Dick Cheney might be a decent candidate to add, but since he wasn't very well-known nationally until the Gulf War, he shouldn't be one of the top-tier candidates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Seeing as how just two days ago, i got the "Duke of Mass" to tromp King George I in 1988, i would love to get this scenario. Please send to os_davis@yahoo.com.

I'd agree with these comments: No way George Sr. runs again after a shameful defeat; Cheney may be a bit too unknown, but with his influence would definitely be considered as a veep; Schwarzkopf, i'm not sure about (would he really be able to leave military service between the Gulf War and the start of the campaign); John McCain is too embroiled in Keating still to run in this scenario; the rest of the GOP candidates mentioned here seem plausible.