270soft Forum

United States 1884

What, specifically, did you need help with?

The Gilded Age elections (1876-1892) were all incredibly close, and dominated mainly by the issue of the tariff. This should be no exception - Grover Cleveland squeaked by and won the presidency by carrying his home state of New York.

Several events defined this campaign. Among them are:

-Article published claiming Grover Cleveland fathered a child out of wedlock

-Incriminating letters published that were written by James G. Blaine (the infamous "Burn this letter" incident)

-Cleveland admits fathering a child (should largely defuse the issue, as it did in real life)

These last two events damaged Blaine in the state of New York just before the election took place:

-Rev. Samuel Bouchard accuses Democrats of being the party of "Rum, Romanism and Rebellion" with Blaine in attendance

-Blaine seen dining with John Jacob Astor, Jay Gould and other wealthy individuals

Welcome back, Darkmoon. I just have a few events left to iron out, then 1828 should be ready for beta testing.

Edit: I meant 1824. I haven't started 1828 yet.

I need some issues because i can't think of any

Prohibition

Tariffs

Corruption

Immigration

Government Ethics

Those would at least be the purple ones. Fill out the lower tiers with typical late-19th Century issues (agriculture, industry, gold standard, banking, foreign relations in Europe and Latin America (as two seperate issues), Japanese intervention (as in, US intervention in Japan, a big issue in the 1880's and 1890's), Western settlement, maybe if a territory's statehood was pending make it an issue, etc.) There's some ideas.

Prohibition

Tariffs

Corruption

Immigration

Government Ethics

Those would at least be the purple ones. Fill out the lower tiers with typical late-19th Century issues (agriculture, industry, gold standard, banking, foreign relations in Europe and Latin America (as two seperate issues), Japanese intervention (as in, US intervention in Japan, a big issue in the 1880's and 1890's), Western settlement, maybe if a territory's statehood was pending make it an issue, etc.) There's some ideas.

Thanks

1884 would mean Labor Unions as an issue. That was the year the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions declared eight hour workdays as the norm.

Women's Suffrage was a serious enough issue for a third party to run with that as their primary focus.

• 1 month later...

The Immigration issue should be primarily centered around China, as that was the focal point of the immigration debate during this era.

Also, I presume the article exposing Cleveland's pre-marital affair will give him negative momentum. If that is the case, then his admission of the affair should give him positive momentum, as it did in the actual election.

Voters were impressed by Cleveland's honesty in the matter, and the issue was mostly defused after Cleveland instructed his supporters to tell the truth.