270soft Forum

United States- 1876: P4E+P Remake

Someone made a version of this for the 2004 Version. With a better election system and a generally better game, 1876 could be so much more.

1876 was, if you don't know, the closest election ever in terms of the electoral vote, save 1800- Hayes won by 1 electoral vote, and was given the win by an electoral commission. He lost the popular vote.

Accommodations for being a past scenario:

-Less CPs

-Less Stamina

-More expensive to run ads in CA, NV and OR because they are cut off from the rest of the union ( OK, NM, AZ, UT, WY, SD, ND, MT, ID, WA are not states at this point)

-The only thing that will be normalised is barnstorming: the high CP cost should keep its use at bay, as most if not all Presidential candidates did not campaign at that time.

My personal favorite will be on election day. It is viewed from an office in New York. Results will come in first from NY, then states with a closeness of 1, 2, and so on (see map.) The polls in NY will "close" at 1:00 PM, and CA, NV and OR's polls will "close" at 11:59 PM.

qpqwjt.jpg (Note: DC, AK, and HI are not in the actual scenario's map.

Poll close times by color (in military time):

Light Green (NY): 1300

Dark Green (NJ, PA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME): 1500

Yellow (MI, OH, WV, VA, MD, DE): 1700

Orange (MN, WI, IA, IL, IN, MO, KY, TN, NC, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC): 1900

Red (TX, KS, CO, NE): 2100

Dark Red (CA, NV, OR): 2359

Grey (OK, NM, AZ, UT, WY, SD, ND, MT, ID, WA, AK, HI, DC): Not voting

This will simulate results coming in by telegraph (aka VERY SLOWLY.) This adds to the realisticness.

Colorado, well , I'll just quote Wikipedia:

Colorado had become the 38th state on August 1, 1876. With insufficient time and money to organize a presidential election in the new state, Colorado's state legislature selected the state's electors. These electors in turn gave their three votes to Hayes and the Republican Party.

Because of this, I will just have 1 voter in Colorado, and only the Republicans are on the ballot.

Anyway, on to more things.

I need issues. Here are some I have: (note: I am not big on actually making issue positions, you can make these yourselves after I release if that tickles your fancy.)

-Reconstruction

-Civil Rights

-Corruption

-Financial Panic of 1873

-Personality (other issues fade in to the background compared to this)

-Women's Suffrage

-Gold Rush

-Statehood (specifically for Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming, who became states by 1892)

-Gerrymandering

-Civil War Debts

-Military

-Britain

-France

-Eastern Europe

-Communications

-Transportation

-Mexico

-Indian Wars

-Direct Election

-Southern Labor

-International Demand

-Telephones

For ads, there are Newspaper Ads, Posters (free to run but cost a lot to make very effective- takes only 1 day regardless), and Pamphlets.

Parties:

Republican (in blue, in keeping with the standards of pre-1980s america)

Democratic (in red, see above)

Greenback (in green, duh)(only on ballot in IL, IN, IA, MI, KS)

I need endorsers. I will put the New York times and Ulysses S. Grant, but I need more! Regional ones esp.!

Expect a beta by this time next week. Any suggestions appreciated!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...