270soft Forum

United States 2020 Incumbant Poll

2020 Incumbant  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see my US 2020 scenario incumbant be?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Mark Warner
    • Andrew Cuomo
    • Deval Patrick
    • Sarah Palin
    • Michael Steele
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Johnny Isakson

I plan to make a United States 2020 scenario in the future and am currently gathering thoughts and ideas. The poll has eight select candidates from my 2016 scenario. Tell me who you'd like to see as the 2020 incumbant. Add a veep if you like.

Heath Shuler and Tom Perriello are both far too conservative to make it to a national ticket and chances are they won't leave the House because of it too, because NC and VA Democrats tend to be more moderate than some places, but not THAT moderate.

Feingold also wouldn't have a shot, because he pisses off his own party too much with his liberalism. I think more likely Veeps would people like Claire McCaskill or possibly even a hispanic like Bill Richardson depending on what he does after his term is up.

Some additional reasoning I have for voting for Warner:

By 2020, Hillary Clinton and Johnny Isakson would be quite old (73 and 76, respectively).

I doubt Clinton will run for president ever again, given the 2008 results. Isakson has shown zero presidential ambition, is not very well-known outside Georgia, and probably wouldn't win nationwide.

With 70% of Americans thinking Palin isn't qualified to be President, I doubt she'd ever win. I'm not even sure she'll run for office again.

Deval Patrick is not doing terribly well as governor of Massachusetts, and while he could win re-election, it'll probably be close - not good for a presidential candidate.

Michael Steele? Really? He couldn't even win statewide on his own in Maryland.

Andrew Cuomo looks favored to win the New York governor's race, so he's a possibility - but given how the last two NY governors managed to sink their careers, it's anyone's guess as to whether Cuomo will even be in the spotlight by the time 2014 rolls around, much less 2016 or 2020.

I went with Warner because he won as Attorney General, Governor and Senator, gave the keynote speech at the 2008 convention (much like Obama did in 2004, and Clinton in 1988), is independently wealthy and therefore able to self-finance, is a moderate from Virginia - a swing state, is enormously popular in the state of Virginia, has known presidential ambitions, and has participated in several high-profile statewide races without any huge scandals or embarrassing stories coming out about him.

Some additional reasoning I have for voting for Warner:

By 2020, Hillary Clinton and Johnny Isakson would be quite old (73 and 76, respectively).

I doubt Clinton will run for president ever again, given the 2008 results. Isakson has shown zero presidential ambition, is not very well-known outside Georgia, and probably wouldn't win nationwide.

With 70% of Americans thinking Palin isn't qualified to be President, I doubt she'd ever win. I'm not even sure she'll run for office again.

Deval Patrick is not doing terribly well as governor of Massachusetts, and while he could win re-election, it'll probably be close - not good for a presidential candidate.

Michael Steele? Really? He couldn't even win statewide on his own in Maryland.

Andrew Cuomo looks favored to win the New York governor's race, so he's a possibility - but given how the last two NY governors managed to sink their careers, it's anyone's guess as to whether Cuomo will even be in the spotlight by the time 2014 rolls around, much less 2016 or 2020.

I went with Warner because he won as Attorney General, Governor and Senator, gave the keynote speech at the 2008 convention (much like Obama did in 2004, and Clinton in 1988), is independently wealthy and therefore able to self-finance, is a moderate from Virginia - a swing state, is enormously popular in the state of Virginia, has known presidential ambitions, and has participated in several high-profile statewide races without any huge scandals or embarrassing stories coming out about him.

Some very good points there. Though Cuomo has the most votes currently in this poll, you do have a convincing arguement for Warner. I dare say at this point it's definitely between Warner and Cuomo. Some more advice on a possible veep, as well as a likely line-up of GOP opponents (ones who are currently youngish but up-and-coming) would be appreciated. Although I won't tackle this seriously for a little bit now, I'm currently gathering ideas.

Some very good points there. Though Cuomo has the most votes currently in this poll, you do have a convincing arguement for Warner. I dare say at this point it's definitely between Warner and Cuomo. Some more advice on a possible veep, as well as a likely line-up of GOP opponents (ones who are currently youngish but up-and-coming) would be appreciated. Although I won't tackle this seriously for a little bit now, I'm currently gathering ideas.

For VP, I'd also throw in Brian Schweitzer as a possibility.

Since Cuomo is also a strong possibility, maybe have two scenarios - one with Warner and one with Cuomo.

Also, my reasoning for not voting for Bobby Jindal as the incumbent president for 2020 is mostly because he's too conservative, has some odd religious baggage (exorcisms and the like) and I think this oil spill that is taking place right now is going to damage his credibility severely.

However, I'm not opposed to choosing Jindal as a presidential candidate for the 2020 scenario.

For my additional candidates, I chose a lot of people who look favored to win their respective races this year. Obviously some of them may still lose, but I included them with the assumption that they will win.

Some other possible candidates:

Republican

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

John Hoeven

Mike Pence

Jerry Moran

Kelly Ayotte

Mary Fallin

Mike Pence

Jeff Flake

Dean Heller

John Thune

Democratic (challenging the incumbent)

Alan Grayson

Stephanie Herseth Sandlin

Independent

Charlie Crist (might also be a good Republican candidate - I've considered the possibility that he returns to the party if he wins and/or the Republicans become less friendly to the Tea Party movement)

To whoever suggested Chris Christie as a potential Republican candidate, I would just like to point out that he's currently sporting a nifty 63%/33% approval rating in New Jersey, except it's inverted, with the 63% disapproving. Not, to my mind, a promising start for a future Presidential contender.

To whoever suggested Chris Christie as a potential Republican candidate, I would just like to point out that he's currently sporting a nifty 63%/33% approval rating in New Jersey, except it's inverted, with the 63% disapproving. Not, to my mind, a promising start for a future Presidential contender.

OK, well that obviously rules him out.

That depends rather a great deal on whether we mean a international-style libertarian/classical liberal, the kind who really means it about being a libertarian proper, or a Ron Paul-type libertarian, who is willing to be things like pro-marijuana and a few other issues but not pro-choice or anything like that, or a Rand Paul/Sarah Palin-type "libertarian," who is basically a hard-right American conservative who doesn't want to call themselves that.