270soft Forum

I got that fixed. Now I noticed something else strange.

I send funds to, for example, Democratic Florida candidate Kevin Meeks. He has $2 000 000 in funds. I transfer funds $100 000 at a time. It shows $100 000 as transfered each time, but takes $100 000 from his original funds as well, so that, when I hit the max ($2 000 000), that's still all he has, not $4 000 000 like you'd expect. This seems to be the case for all of them.

I send funds to, for example, Democratic Florida candidate Kevin Meeks. He has $2 000 000 in funds. I transfer funds $100 000 at a time. It shows $100 000 as transfered each time, but takes $100 000 from his original funds as well, so that, when I hit the max ($2 000 000), that's still all he has, not $4 000 000 like you'd expect. This seems to be the case for all of them.

I'll have to check things out then. But that the way it sounds, thats gonna be a mechanic thing thats in the game code.

I think you're looking not at Meeks' original funds, but the max amount you can still transfer to him.

Meeks $100,000 ($1,900,000)

means Meeks has $100,000 in transferred funds his campaign hasn't used yet, and $1.9M in funds your national committee can still transfer to him.

I'll add this to the help file, as it's not obvious.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

The candidates' initial_funds="" value is currently not used by the game engine, as it seemed more useful to encapsulate it into the candidate strength rating for the House.

For the Senate, though, it might make more sense to actually have a candidate use their warchest, in a similar way they use transferred funds. Any thoughts on this?

Okay, I've added this feature to the latest internal game engine build. I think the map is more usable with it. I'll look at how to clean up the data visually even more, so it's clear that some Senators are not having elections but can still be listed so players can see the (projected) balance of the Senate.

post-1-127514559149_thumb.gif

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

I can add a simple off_year="true" variable to election events, and then if all the election events in a political unit are off year the map displays those areas as gray ...

Mr. Blonde,

I like how you added Crist in as in Independent in Florida. Quick question: why did you add all the incumbents who aren't running?

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Sry, I've been a little busy and havent had much chance to really continue.

I just added them because of it coming in handy for me to know how one is doing in the totals. In the house scenario all seats are up anyways, but without 2/3rd of the seats up for election in the senate, there is no way of knowing who has majority.

I've not yet untangled the playability balance of candidate strenghts vs personal warchests.

And thanks for adding that variable! Thats so great you did that!

What I was trying to say above is that whether you set it or not, the initial_funds value doesn't do anything in the game engine currently.

I can change the game engine to make it cause some difference, though ... but for now, as a scenario designer if you set initial_funds it won't make a difference to the game.

Just candidate strengths matter as of now.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

I've not yet untangled the playability balance of candidate strenghts vs personal warchests.

I've added a couple more features to the current internal game engine build to make this sort of scenario more playable.

If you go to the Strategy Screen, off_seat political units just list the incumbent's name, and the player can't click on them.

On the Main Screen, it displays "Seats in play:" for whichever political unit is selected, if there are off_seats in that political unit. For example, for Senate 2010 if the United States is selected, it shows "Seats in play: 36".

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

• 3 months later...

I love this scenario - the fewer races inherent in the Senate battle made it easier for me to stay interested through the full 63 turns of game play.

Without a scenario editor for Congress Forever, is anyone working on expanding the Senate 2010 to cover 2006 and 2008?

• 1 month later...

I love this scenario too, easier for me to follow along than in the House..but why is O'Donnell up 10 points at the beginning? I think that the person making this scenario changed Castle to O'Donnell but didn't change the (very) different poll numbers!!